Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money when starting new job?

Options
  • 18-10-2020 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭

This may be a stupid question but I’ve never been unemployed before!

So after over 20 years of working in the same place, a new person took over the company. He bullied me till I eventually had to leave to save my own mental health. So I left last week and on Monday got a new job.

The issue now is that the new job starts in November and it’s paid monthly so I won’t be paid till the end of November. What, if anything, can I do for money till then? I didn’t get any holiday pay etc from my old employer so I literally have nothing now.
    Post edited by Nody on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,875 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Get a loan? Credit Union maybe? Family? Friend?
    Why no holiday pay, we’re you due nothing?
    Are you going for a constructive dismissal claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭lalababa

Social welfare will tide you over in a bind, it used to go through cwo s as an exceptional circumstances payment... don't know nowerdays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Sadb wrote: »

So after over 20 years of working in the same place, a new person took over the company. He bullied me till I eventually had to leave to save my own mental health. So I left last week and on Monday got a new job.

The issue now is that the new job starts in November and it’s paid monthly so I won’t be paid till the end of November. What, if anything, can I do for money till then? I didn’t get any holiday pay etc from my old employer so I literally have nothing now.

Overdaft would probably be best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

I actually already have a credit union car loan so that’s a no go unfortunately.

Yes, I left on bad terms so am putting in a constructive dismissal claim. Holiday pay etc is all tied up in that now and it looks like the WRC don’t move very fast!

It’s also infuriating that I have nothing after so long in the place. If I had been made redundant I would have been entitled to almost a years pay!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Some companies will give you an advance on wages if you ask HR/payroll once you start as they know it can be hard on people who have to wait a long time for the first wage. I got this once by cheque from a large retail business - I think I got one week of wages in advance and the balance in my payslip at the end of the month.

• Advertisement

So after over 20 years of working in the same place

I didn’t get any holiday pay etc from my old employer so I literally have nothing now.

After 20 years employment how have you no savings? I think a loan from family/friends might be the only option here. I'm not sure you'd be entitled to anything from SW

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

After 20 years employment how have you no savings? I think a loan from family/friends might be the only option here. I'm not sure you'd be entitled to anything from SW

It was a low paid job in the retail industry, so we were never flush anyway. I also just paid fees etc for two of my children in college. Dh is out of work due to covid so is getting the €300 per week but that barely covers our mortgage.

I do have a few thousand saved but it’s in the credit union that I can’t access because of the car loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭wench

Put in a claim for Jobseekers Benefit now.
    https://services.mywelfare.ie/en/topics/out-of-work-payments/apply-for-jobseekers-payment/

You can be disqualified for up to 9 weeks, but that is unlikely if you have a genuine explanation for leaving.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Go to your local Intreo Office and explain the situation. It's called an Exceptional needs payment. Now you won't get much but they should give you a small weekly payment until your first salary arrives. I had to do this in the past, I found them to be very helpful and understanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Lots of people live in jobs where they just get by with enough to pay bills.

This is the reality for a lot of people in the real world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

wench wrote: »
    Put in a claim for Jobseekers Benefit now.
    https://services.mywelfare.ie/en/topics/out-of-work-payments/apply-for-jobseekers-payment/

You can be disqualified for up to 9 weeks, but that is unlikely if you have a genuine explanation for leaving.

They won't qualify at all, they're starting a new job on Monday.

OP, Community Welfare Officer is your best bet, they can arrange a one-off special circumstances payment with no interest attached, just the tax will need to be paid back. An overdraft is some of the most expensive money you can "borrow".

Try your local CWO office.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭howsshenow

jh79 wrote:
    SF want to increase personal taxation even further at levels that have the potential to influence the decision makers behind FDI and close off tax loopholes that reduce the cost of investing in Ireland

Firstly Don't pay the Mortgage. Phone them and tell them.
    You and your family come first.

Pay the mortgage. One missed mortgage payment on record and you can kiss goodbye any option of getting credit anywhere for at least two years, including from your credit union.

If there is 300 coming into your house per week in the form of your husband's payment, unlikely the CWO will help you, but its worth a try.

Can you ask your bank for an overdraft. Also ask your CU for a deferral on your car loan for a month and a small top up loan to tide you over - they will be much more understanding and you can actually talk to them. They can arrange it in such a way as to not destroy your credit going forward, and will be used to dealing with situations like yours.

Another option - have you built up much in shares SINCE you took out your car loan? My credit union will allow you to withdraw shares built up since the last loan was taken out?

In other words, only the amount of shares you had at the time the loan was drawn down, is held as security. Anything built up since then you can withdraw. Not all credit unions allow this, (my daughter's doesn't) but mine does. Ring and ask if yours does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

You say you got no holiday money. If due it, claim it. Some employers say they dont pay that when leaving but they have no choice. If due it, claim it, if refused, off to workplace relations / nera. They will force it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭wench

Dial Hard wrote: »
    They won't qualify at all, they're starting a new job on Monday.

OP, Community Welfare Officer is your best bet, they can arrange a one-off special circumstances payment with no interest attached, just the tax will need to be paid back. An overdraft is some of the most expensive money you can "borrow".
    They said the job doesn't start until November, so it is still worth applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Talk to your CWO. There is a payment you can claim until your pay comes through in the end of November. Don’t let anyone tell you there isn’t.

yeah its bad when you go from weekly to monthly pay. Monthly pay in general sucks.

You will probable end up borrowing a bit and then have to be frugal the following month to get yourself sorted. Not a great thing to have to do coming to Christmas.

What kind of a moron runs someone out of a company when they have been performing a perfectly satisfactory job for 20 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭McCrack

Happy4all wrote: »

No it's a valid question. Everyone earning money can put something aside if they really want. Even a 10er a week in the OPs case... They would have 10k savings now.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Theres always one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

howsshenow wrote: »
    Firstly Don't pay the Mortgage. Phone them and tell them.
    You and your family come first.

Be careful giving/taking this type of advice. Being in mortgage arrears can have serious implications for your family as well. Discuss it with your bank of course, but do not unilaterally decide to stop making payments if it can be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

McCrack wrote: »
    No it's a valid question. Everyone earning money can put something aside if they really want. Even a 10er a week in the OPs case... They would have 10k savings now.

How do you know the OP hasn't spent that 10k on a recent unexpected emergency, I've been there where I've had nothing left after mortgage and Bill's only waiting for pay day, it doesn't always come down to bad financial planning

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭daheff

You should ask your mortgage provider if your loan allows for you to take a payment holiday. Some mortgages allow for this to happen. It will end up with you paying more in interest over the life of the loan.

If this doesn't work talk to credit union about a small short term loan.

Then overdraft and after that credit card (best to avoid these options if at all possible as it'll end up costing a lot in the end).

Happy4all wrote: »

Is the real world a different one to the one I live in? I'm not talking tens of thousands of euros here. I mean a couple of grand you can use in an emergency or if you decide to walk out of your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,793 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I.... I also just paid fees etc for two of my children in college. Dh is out of work due to covid so is getting the €300 per week but that barely covers our mortgage.

Tell the kids that they need to help you out now, as well as to start saving for next year's fees.

OP, some of the advice here is dire. DO NOT skip paying the mortgage, unless you can get the bank to agree to it as a covid break that won't show up on your records. You won't be blacklisted from getting credit anywhere because of a single missed mortgage payment (that's a massive exaggeration from a previous poster) but, depending how much you owe, and what your interest rate is, a missed payment could be quite expensive in the long run.

Equally, do not use an overdraft facility with your bank. Interest charge on overdrafts is silly.

If I were in your shoes, I'd scribble down all my expected bills/outgoings, and costs of the new job (any extra diesel for the car if it's a longer commute, extra parking charges, etc). Then work out what you have coming in.

Figure out your shortfall, and go to your CWO (Community Welfare Officer). Give them the breakdown and ask them to help you out. You will sometimes not even be asked to pay it back.

I understand not wanting to ask at the new job (first impressions and all that) but it's likely they will have encountered this loads of times before and won't bat an eyelid. Especially if it's one of the bigger retailers.

Failing that, there's always prostitution if you're really stuck.
    (just a little sarcasm to lighten the mood :) )

I would, however, start to take a look at your finances. After 20 years in employment, it doesnt seem right that you can't get through a month without an income. What would happen if a proper recession hit? It could be worth your while looking at the likes of Dave Ramsey's Financial Advice or stuff along those lines.

Theres always one

To be fair, I'd assume that after 20 years in employment, in the same place, the vast majority of people would have savings built up to cover the cost of living for 1 month.

Not that I'm trying to attack the OP, but I would certainly stand by saying the vast majority of people would weather 1 month quite easily in this circumstance.

Talk to your CWO. There is a payment you can claim until your pay comes through in the end of November. Don’t let anyone tell you there isn’t.

The OP can make a claim under Supplementary Welfare Allowance but it is not an entitlement, it's discretionary and decided on a case by case basis.

Usually if there is another source of income coming into the home (in this case, her husband's payment) they will not make a payment. It is to make sure people eat, not pay their bills on time.

Again, it's worth trying. But don't count on it.

The OP does have savings. In the credit union. She already explained this. Not that she has to explain anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭893bet

I agree it’s a valid question.

Perhaps many things happened over the last 20 years that soaked up the savings? Sound like they have a mortgage, and a couple of kids and were not in a high paid job.

So valid question or not. Today is prob alt not the day to ask it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭salamiii

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement