Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fungie the dolphin is missing - Or is he?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Igotadose wrote: »
    Still on the hunt for Fungie. Using sonar, woo. And, no luck.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1018/1172258-fungie-search-latest/

So the whistling and screaming like banshee"s didn't work? :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Breaking News! Search for Fungie called off

''After an extensive search today joined by Mallow Search and rescue Divers, Dingle coast and cliff & Dingle Dolphin Tour boats along with other vessels ,unfortunately we have no news of Fungies whereabouts.

''At this stage we are calling off the search in the hopes that Fungie has just gone off on an adventure and if he so chooses will one day return to us.

''We can’t thank Mallow Search and Rescue enough for trying to locate our dear friend and as they say no news is good news.

''Wherever you are my friend I hope you are safe and happy and thank you for all the years of joy you have brought to so many people.''

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

So they're looking for a dolphin in the water, how much is that costing the taxpayers, will they need to find a body or will the search continue indefinitely

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

So they're looking for a dolphin in the water, how much is that costing the taxpayers, will they need to find a body or will the search continue indefinitely

Whatever about trying to find him, which I think is crazy as it's a wild animal but why do you think it's costing the taxpayer anything.

Volunteers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Fungie has made an enormous contribution to the tax take over the years.

He has brought a lot of joy and fun to many kids. I hope he makes his way back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Buy a new one!!!!

murpho999 wrote: »
    Whatever about trying to find him, which I think is crazy as it's a wild animal but why do you think it's costing the taxpayer anything.

Volunteers?

It said thanks to mallow search and rescue, I assume their equipment isn't free to maintain and run

dirtyden wrote: »
    Fungie has made an enormous contribution to the tax take over the years.

He has brought a lot of joy and fun to many kids. I hope he makes his way back.

Fair enough I can understand where you're coming from but sending search and rescue to look for a dolphin in the ocean seems a little ott, I think we can assume if he doesn't come back hes either dead or moved house,he may be part of the dingle community but hes still a wild animal not owned by anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Yeah, the goberment are paying private divers & boat owners to look for a bleeding fish!!! Whadaboudehomeless?

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Yeah, the goberment are paying private divers & boat owners to look for a bleeding fish!!! Whadaboudehomeless?

Whatabodthehomeless John?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Fair enough I can understand where you're coming from but sending search and rescue to look for a dolphin in the ocean seems a little ott, I think we can assume if he doesn't come back hes either dead or moved house,he may be part of the dingle community but hes still a wild animal not owned by anyone

Yeah, very true. If he has decided to head out to deeper waters, so be it.

Given the part he has played in the history of Dingle I see no harm in searching for him though, as long as it’s not taking resources from elsewhere.

Given the part he has played in the history of Dingle I see no harm in searching for him though, as long as it’s not taking resources from elsewhere.

I fully agree, I hope hes ok, he could be gone south to warmer waters for the winter :D

100% This is like a safari loosing a lion. All efforts will be made by vested interested and concerned parties to see what happened to Fungie. If the animal has passed it's a sad time for the country at a bad time.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

It makes no sense that he'd suddenly take off after being there for 30/ 40 odd years. Maybe he died of old age.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

''Fungie has just gone off on an adventure"

Gone to live on a farm?

Gone to live on a farm?

It has that vibe about it alright. They called it off very suddenly too

It said thanks to mallow search and rescue, I assume their equipment isn't free to maintain and run

Yes but they're a charity and they're not a government agency.

Either way, it's just some fuel costs. Not exactly extravagant.

I don't understand why you'd even worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I don't get why they are out searching for him... he isn't a fisherman on a life raft, he is a dolphin. If he is not dead, surely he will swim back in a few days.

Mules wrote: »
    It makes no sense that he'd suddenly take off after being there for 30/ 40 odd years. Maybe he died of old age.

It made no sense that he came in to the bay and stayed either.

It made no sense that he came in to the bay and stayed either.

Apparently he didn't like other dolphins. Maybe he decided he liked humans. Humans brought him food too so maybe that's another reason he hung around.

• Advertisement

Yes but they're a charity and they're not a government agency.

Either way, it's just some fuel costs. Not exactly extravagant.

I don't understand why you'd even worry about it.

Very true, my bad everyone, I hope he comes back ✌

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Apparently he didn't like other dolphins. Maybe he decided he liked humans. Humans brought him food too so maybe that's another reason he hung around.

Humans didn't bring him food you eejit, he stayed in the bay because its full of fish and he had the whole "crop" to himself.

He's not a caged animal in a zoo......

mloc123 wrote: »
    I don't get why they are out searching for him... he isn't a fisherman on a life raft, he is a dolphin. If he is not dead, surely he will swim back in a few days.

I suppose people are fond of him. He's a big deal for local business people too. You can see why they'd be worried.

Humans didn't bring him food you eejit, he stayed in the bay because its full of fish and he had the whole "crop" to himself.

He's not a caged animal in a zoo......

How do you know people didn't being him food. Isn't that how they get dolphins and whales to follow boats.

How do you know people didn't being him food. Isn't that how they get dolphins and whales to follow boats.

People can now "feed" whales with tonnes of plankton. Is this a joke?

Ace Ventura will sort it....

John_Rambo wrote: »
    People can now "feed" whales with tonnes of plankton. Is this a joke?

Eh they eat things other than plankton....
    I suppose you've never watched wildlife programmes when they throw fish in to the water to whales/dolphins/sharks?:rolleyes:
    The clue is, they actually do it to get the animal to follow the boat... Of course dolphins only eat plankton so what do those people know..:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Eh they eat things other than plankton....
    I suppose you've never watched wildlife programmes when they throw fish in to the water to whales/dolphins/sharks?:rolleyes:
    The clue is, they actually do it to get the animal to follow the boat... Of course dolphins only eat plankton so what do those people know..

Some species of whale eat plankton, some don't .

He is in the back room of Moe's tavern ...

• Advertisement

Some species of whale eat plankton, some don't .

I'm not the one who claimed they only ate plankton. I'm sure they eat a load of stuff if it gets handed to them.

Advertisement