Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best exercises to reduce belly fat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

yabadabado wrote: »
    I was recently thinking about this,while stuck inside WFH .
    What is a good exercise do do with the 10 or so minute's of spare time in a small home office?

Squats, pull-ups if possible and push-ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I was recently thinking about this,while stuck inside WFH .
    What is a good exercise do do with the 10 or so minute's of spare time in a small home office?

10 mins of spare time?

Limber 11:

Not an exercise per se, but with 10 mins it is a good investment. You can do sets of pull ups, push ups, etc throughout the day.

Might take a little longer than 10 mins to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Yeah would have a few times during the day when I need to be close to PC but not actually doing any work.

Something for 10 mins that doesn't need equipment etc would be ideal ,can't leave the room but especially just babysitting uploads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Yeah would have a few times during the day when I need to be close to PC but not actually doing any work.

Something for 10 mins that doesn't need equipment etc would be ideal ,can't leave the room but especially just babysitting uploads.

Get a door frame pull-up bar and do pull-ups? You could super-set with push-ups.

For lower body always fun to do pistols, or practice a progression to getting one if you can't do one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

ciara17 wrote: »
    Here are some easy exercises to reduce belly Fats.

1. Running or walking
    2. Bicycling
    3. Exercise ball crunch
    4. Planks
    5. Reverse crunch

Nope :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭scilover

The best way to burn body fat is through cardio exercises such as running, walking, elliptical training and bicycling. With these exercises, burning stomach fat, shedding love handles, and building a six-pack is completely do-able.

I do sit up and plank a lot and it does help me with my belly fat. You can try to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

scilover wrote: »
    The best way to burn body fat is through cardio exercises such as running, walking, elliptical training and bicycling. With these exercises, burning stomach fat, shedding love handles, and building a six-pack is completely do-able.

I do sit up and plank a lot and it does help me with my belly fat. You can try to :)

As bladespin put so succinctly in the post above

Nope. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Omega28

Remember that episode of Fr.Ted about the stolen whistle?

Well, there was a line in one of the scenes and I'll quote it now "PUT THE FORK DOWN ".

It's the hardest exercise to get right.

Eat LESS. Move MORE.

Keep it simple, enjoyable and consistent. No need to get fancy regarding certain exercises.

scilover wrote: »

This is your second time suggesting planks will reduce belly fat. It wasn't correct the first time.

Cardio will help insofar as it will burn calories. The vast majority of the time, there are too many calories being consumed so the first thing the person should be doing is reducing those excess calories.

By all means do some exercise for health but in most cases, it's not going to the main route through which you reduce calorie intake. Exercise you enjoy doing and will continue to do because you enjoy will be your best bet.

Also, you cannot target where you burn fat from. No exercise will specifically burn belly fat. A calorie deficit will help with fat loss. Where that fat comes off first, you can't dictate.

This has all already been said in the thread.

Planks will not do it. Nor will sit ups. And nothing will specifically reduce fat from the belly.

And they all lived happily ever after. The end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

It's not as simple as calories in - calories out, we can train our cells to become more effectient when burning fat. If you're not in a calorie deficit however, you'lI not lose anything. I find fasted exercise is a great fat burner as your glycogen levels are usually lower, depending on how long you've fasted but again, if you over eat after fasting, you'll gain weight.

Obviously a poor diet will counteract anything done, so that should be the primary focus. I personally find results by reducing carb intake and taking in wholegrain carbs only to limit insulin response but everyone's different, some can gorge on white bread and not suffer the consequences.

Building muscle is a great way of increasing your resting metabolism, so you'll be burning more at rest. Easy win.

Beverly Hills, California

• Advertisement

It's not as simple as calories in - calories out, we can train our cells to become more effectient when burning fat. I find fasted exercise is a great fat burner as your glycogen levels are usually lower, depending on how long you've fasted.

For the vast majority of people it is as simple as calories in / calories out.

Fasted cardio won't really be any better than cardio over the course of the day (as opposed to just looking at the effect of fasted cardio vs fed cardio in isolation)

ETA: but that's going down an unnecessary rabbit hole here and your edit has said quantity of food is the primary driver so we're in agreement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Omega28

Planks, sit ups, squats, fasted cardio? Yer all going mad.

I'll keep it simple.

1. Control your food INTAKE i.e ⬇️ intake.

2. Exercise (any form of exercise will do).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Omega28 wrote: »
    Planks, sit ups, squats, fasted cardio? Yer all going mad.

I'll keep it simple.

1. Control your food INTAKE i.e ⬇️ intake.

2. Exercise (any form of exercise will do).

Yep. It gets really tiresome listening to people complicate this process.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Mad_Dave

https://youtu.be/MY6nKL59L1o

Good video from Jeff Cavalier talking about this subject - ignore the silly click bait video title, he does actually know what he's talking about.

You could also try including daily stomach vacuum exercises to tighten up the transverse abdominis muscle, won't do anything for fat loss but may improve aesthetics.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

At OP. I would say cut down on calories and cholesterol. Reduce the amount of potatoes and bread you eat if you can and do not eat after 7 or 6PM if you can. Also cutting out meats like steak can help too. My father used to do all them diets and after each one would end up worse after coming off them so he just does what I posted above as well as some exercise of course and has never been better and he is in his 70s. You can have the odd slice of bread or potatoes but the less the better

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

By all means do some exercise for health but in most cases, it's not going to the main route through which you reduce calorie intake. Exercise you enjoy doing and will continue to do because you enjoy will be your best bet.

It depends on how much exercise you do. In normal non-lockdown life I burn an average of 1000+ calories a day on "exercise." I'm a tiny person so that's close to doubling my daily BMR of 1196. Coupled with normal life stuff with lots of walking around, my 'exercise' allows me to eat twice what I normally would. I think I probably could 'outrun' a bad diet. However, I'm generally buzzing on adrenalin and I strongly desire lots of protein, fruit and veg. I don't monitor calories but I have a strong suspicion that I fall into a type of 5/2 fasting diet as I suspect day to day I eat less calories than I use but every second weekend or so, I eat too much. When I can't exercise I have a stronger desire for shïte food.

What you can do for your belly area is build a really strong core. Yes if you have too much fat over it, you'll never see a 6-pack. But defined abdominals will 'pull up' excess skin. It will help improve posture and just have a great knock on effect as the stronger your core, the better you can perform at most forms of exercise. It will take pressure off your back, easy any lingering back pain and allow you to perform exercises that will strengthen your back muscles in a range of motion. And over all just make everything from exercise to normal life activity better. We call it 'the core' for a reason. As someone who had extensive damage to my belly area from abdominal surgeries followed by pregnancy and c-section, that I spent years being told was just something that I had to accept. I now know that making enormous improvements to this area with diet and exercise is very doable and building a really strong core was key.

You can't spot reduce fat. But you can target where to build muscle. That said, imo, it's best to build strength all over and to do so in a range of motion, so that your strength is functional. I've worked out the areas of my body that my normal exercise doesn't do as much for and I spend a little time each week targeting those muscle groups.

iguana wrote: »
    It depends on how much exercise you do. In normal non-lockdown life I burn an average of 1000+ calories a day on "exercise." I'm a tiny person so that's close to doubling my daily BMR of 1196. Coupled with normal life stuff with lots of walking around, my 'exercise' allows me to eat twice what I normally would. I think I probably could 'outrun' a bad diet.

I'd venture that you're an outlier all the same.

AMKC wrote: »
    At OP. I would say cut down on calories and cholesterol. Reduce the amount of potatoes and bread you eat if you can and do not eat after 7 or 6PM if you can. Also cutting out meats like steak can help too. My father used to do all them diets and after each one would end up worse after coming off them so he just does what I posted above as well as some exercise of course and has never been better and he is in his 70s. You can have the odd slice of bread or potatoes but the less the better

That’s fairly bad advice. It’s nearly second to doing planks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Way back when I got into training after 2 years of being in the gym 5/6 days and week and doing daily outdoor cardio (sometimes twice a day if you include additional leisure cycling and walking) I only lost about 50% of the weight I needed to loose.

There is noting like loosing weigh by fixing your diet especially if you are not young. First of all it is the source of the problem, second of all you will loose the weight a lot faster then exercising and thirdly you will fix the problem that got you overweight in the first place for life if you stick with it. This means if for whatever reason you can't or intentionally stop exercising you won't put the weight back on because you have trained yourself to eat rationally.

And it's actually a lot easier than exercising especially if you have an aversion to physical activity. You don't have to be super cardiovascular fit to get though life but it helps and is recommended. Fix your belly fat with fixing your diet...you know that's what you have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What about a few planks?

• Advertisement

Build up your chest, shoulders and back. Makes it look a lot better. Buy smaller plates.

Mellor wrote: »
    What about a few planks?

Superset them with curls and BOOM! Bye bye belly fat.

Build up your chest, shoulders and back. Makes it look a lot better. Buy smaller plates.

Fractional plates are only useful with overhead pressing. It’ll never reduce belly fat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Fractional plates are only useful with overhead pressing. It’ll never reduce belly fat

I think the poster meant smaller plates to eat food off!?!?!? :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

My top three belly-tightening secrets:-

1. Balance ball sit-ups. The instability of the balance ball makes this a more functional real-world ability to sit up. But this is just a bonus, the real secret is that repeated sit-ups actually compress belly fat into less noticeable, compacted rolls. This is PHASE ONE.

2. A lot of people know that taking cold showers has a skin-tightening effect. So when you take your cold shower the secret of PHASE TWO is that you hold an ice pack to the belly fat area you are trying to reduce, for added effect. If you have no ice pack you can use a pack of some frozen food but I recommend a low carb option like frozen peas, or carrot florets.

3. PHASE THREE is your final game-changer. To eliminate final stubborn belly fat we are bringing back a secret of the old school strong men: The corset. You need to size down, but very reputable medical studies from Chile have shown that the extreme compressive forces actually forces the belly fat remains into your blood stream and then they are excreted comfortably and safely from the body when you flush your system with a morning apple cider enema.

My top three belly-tightening secrets:-

1. Balance ball sit-ups. The instability of the balance ball makes this a more functional real-world ability to sit up. But this is just a bonus, the real secret is that repeated sit-ups actually compress belly fat into less noticeable, compacted rolls. This is PHASE ONE.

2. A lot of people know that taking cold showers has a skin-tightening effect. So when you take your cold shower the secret of PHASE TWO is that you hold an ice pack to the belly fat area you are trying to reduce, for added effect. If you have no ice pack you can use a pack of some frozen food but I recommend a low carb option like frozen peas, or carrot florets.

3. PHASE THREE is your final game-changer. To eliminate final stubborn belly fat we are bringing back a secret of the old school strong men: The corset. You need to size down, but very reputable medical studies from Chile have shown that the extreme compressive forces actually forces the belly fat remains into your blood stream and then they are excreted comfortably and safely from the body when you flush your system with a morning apple cider enema.

Proper lol at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

OP,

I suggest you just hire a good PT ( Vinny Gough is excellent, IMO ).

What I learned from him, that I had no idea that I didn't know before.

To burn fat, you ought to do HIIT / Ultra HIIT that engages as many different muscle groups as possible together, such that your heart is forced to pump blood around your whole body. 15-20 mins of that a day will very much boost your metabolism. If you do HIIT and hard keto for say 1-2 months, you'll lose weight WAY FASTER. Its much easier to do hard keto (almost no carbs, other than traces in say, green veg) than low carb which is painful.

carbsy wrote: »

Ha yeah I did. That's hilarious.

carbsy wrote: »

I know. I was taking the piss

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'd venture that you're an outlier all the same.

Well I have ultra endurance goals that I'm slowly working towards so I suppose I am a bit of an outlier. I'm also very small, so my daily calorific needs, even with all the calorie burning activity is still very low. Which sounds like a simple thing to account for but it's worth me bearing in mind, especially if eating out as no restaurant designs it's portion sizes around the needs of a small woman.
    AllForIt wrote: »
    There is noting like loosing weigh by fixing your diet especially if you are not young. First of all it is the source of the problem, second of all you will loose the weight a lot faster then exercising and thirdly you will fix the problem that got you overweight in the first place for life if you stick with it. This means if for whatever reason you can't or intentionally stop exercising you won't put the weight back on because you have trained yourself to eat rationally.

This is very true. I was overweight a few years back and lost it by being more mindful about what I ate. Though I don't think I'd have been able to maintain that kind of diet long term. (Again, as a small woman my calorific needs are very, very low if my lifestyle is sedentary, so it's hard in a society with so much food to avoid over-eating.) But finding a physical activity that you absolutely love helps hugely. One, because it's physical activity and allows you to eat more. Two, because that buzz you get from doing something physical that you love gives you an endorphin hit that means you feel less desire to look for those endorphins in sugary food. At least it's that way for me. Though it is 'dangerous' if illness or injury means I can't live my normal life. I was sick for several months this year and my desire for chocolate and crappy food was stronger than it's been in years.

Advertisement