Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

wassie wrote: »
    Yeah the 45min limit has been frustrating when trying to get a full charge to go cross country over the last year when often I was the only car there. However starting to see the traffic really ramp up over this month so will start to serve its purpose again.

The point is you should not charge past 80%, you should get to 80% then go on your trip, if needs be, stop again and charge up again.
    All EV's (well apart from eTron/Taycan outliers) will taper off charging speed above 80%, this is also delivering the same message, stop charging and start driving.
    Ideally you should be arriving at your next fast charger in the teens in terms of SOC, it will only take minutes to take on 20% charge if you arrive at low SOC versus considerable longer to gain the 20% needed to go from 80%-100%.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭wassie

Nice in theory if there are multiple charging stations. Problematic if you need to rock up for a 'quick top up' at the single ESB charging station off the motorway and its occupied. Those minutes suddenly turns into an hour.

The Johnstown Estate supercharger cant come fast enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,458 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'm still charging at 30kW well above 80%, when the max is 44-45kW net (50-52kW gross).
    If I need the charge I'll stay till im charged.

wassie wrote: »
    Nice in theory if there are multiple charging stations. Problematic if you need to rock up for a 'quick top up' at the single ESB charging station off the motorway and its occupied. Those minutes suddenly turns into an hour.

The Johnstown Estate supercharger cant come fast enough!

Totally agree, was just outlining the reasoning behind "splash and dash".
    Johnstown Estate will be super useful for me on loads of trips, I've free supercharging too so ever better.
    ELM327 wrote: »
    I'm still charging at 30kW well above 80%, when the max is 44-45kW net (50-52kW gross).
    If I need the charge I'll stay till im charged.

No probs, I'll stay to whatever I need whenever there's a need for it but if someone starts queuing then I disconnect at 80% generally.
    So long since I DC fast charged with warm battery I can't honestly remember my charge rates.
    Must take a note whenever I get out and about

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

Seems like the WLTP in most european countries has now increased from 580km to 614km
    I was going to pick up a M3LR from existing stock before July first (SEAI grant...), but now I'm thinking I'll hold off until the higher WLTP versions are available.

I think this is due to the Panasonic E3LD batteries with 82kWh capacity.

See
    https://www.tesla.com/es_ES/model3/design?redirect=no#overview

https://new.reddit.com/r/TeslaLounge/comments/mwb249/range_increase_incoming_for_the_model_3_wltp/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

bambam wrote: »
    Seems like the WLTP in most european countries has now increased from 580km to 614km
    I was going to pick up a M3LR from existing stock before July first (SEAI grant...), but now I'm thinking I'll hold off until the higher WLTP versions are available.

I think this is due to the Panasonic E3LD batteries with 82kWh capacity.

See
    https://www.tesla.com/es_ES/model3/design?redirect=no#overview

https://new.reddit.com/r/TeslaLounge/comments/mwb249/range_increase_incoming_for_the_model_3_wltp/

I wouldn’t be buying based on those figures.
    They are not achieved in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Real world range is likely closer to 400km on motorways etc. Unless you regularly travel close to that & have absolutely no option to charge, IMO paying €5k extra makes little sense.

Was seriously looking at a LR myself but the €5k grant removal is a bitter pill to swallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,214 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

So what's the real life worst case scenario for range in an SR+? I mean proper worst case, for someone with a lead foot in cold weather.

True, that €5K from the SEAI is silly to pass up on...

Kramer wrote: »
    Real world range is likely closer to 400km on motorways etc. Unless you regularly travel close to that & have absolutely no option to charge, IMO paying €5k extra makes little sense.

Was seriously looking at a LR myself but the €5k grant removal is a bitter pill to swallow.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

DrPhilG wrote: »
    So what's the real life worst case scenario for range in an SR+? I mean proper worst case, for someone with a lead foot in cold weather.

I posted some real world figures from a recent trip to Cork in appalling weather, if you search back a few pages you should find it, but the headline figure is my SR+ (Made in America - 409km WLTP) has a winter motorway range of 220-240km @ 120km/h

I’d expect the newer ones with heat pumps to slightly better that figure, as on my trip, the heating was on for the duration as the temp was around 1 degree all day and the weather was crappy snow/rain....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Shane119

Is it silly of me to postpone purchasing an M3LR until July simply because I want to have a 212 reg? I would be planning on holding on to the car for a good few years so I can’t see a 211 or 212 reg making all the much difference to resale value.

As we've been talking about, leaving it July would mean missing out on the €5000 SEAI grant.
    Shane119 wrote: »
    Is it silly of me to postpone purchasing an M3LR until July simply because I want to have a 212 reg? I would be planning on holding on to the car for a good few years so I can’t see a 211 or 212 reg making all the much difference to resale value.

DrPhilG wrote: »

You drive like I do, phil. I'd class worst case in my Ioniq as 150km whereas most forum regulars are much higher than that.

With that in mind, I would put the worst case scenario based on loaner car for an SR+ as 200-220km. Based on 120km/h in cold weather.

As we've been talking about, leaving it July would mean missing out on the €5000 SEAI grant.
    Wonder if that will bump up the used market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭sh81722

If I had to guess I'd say the Model 3 prices will be adjusted downwards soon as has already happened in Norway and Germany. To me it seems that prices for both SR+ and LR are kept at artificially high in Ireland and the prices will be lowered by July to match the changes in incentives.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,214 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

You drive like I do, Phil.

Lol, that's exactly what I'm after. So often I see people giving it the old "you'll do ***km easy in any weather" and I know for a fact I won't get anywhere near it.

Also thats 200-220km from 100%, if you're going from the usual 90% you can take 10% off the 200-220.

Also thats 200-220km from 100%, if you're going from the usual 90% you can take 10% off the 200-220.

The MIC SR+ Model 3's are recommended by Tesla to be plugged in the whole time, no issue now with going to 100% and Tesla recommend doing so at least once a week.
    For the MiC models there is no longer a daily/trip split on the charge screen and Regen is enabled at 100% (albeit reduced)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Shane119

sh81722 wrote: »
    If I had to guess I'd say the Model 3 prices will be adjusted downwards soon as has already happened in Norway and Germany. To me it seems that prices for both SR+ and LR are kept at artificially high in Ireland and the prices will be lowered by July to match the changes in incentives.

I wonder is the Irish market so important compared to the German and Norwegian ones that they would cut prices here?

I’d be really p****d if I ordered an LR for June delivery only to find July cars are just as cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭innrain

Does anybody know what was last year the price of the M3 LR before incentives? I think the VRT god dearer by some 1k+ this year for 60k EVs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,824 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

innrain wrote: »
    Does anybody know what was last year the price of the M3 LR before incentives? I think the VRT god dearer by some 1k+ this year for 60k EVs

Vat went up by 2% as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭innrain

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Vat went up by 2% as well.
    I know that just wanted to see if they've reduced the prices already when VRT went up. When VAT changed back to 23% they've increased the price after incentives by 1k.

Happy days, I got a delivery date for 21st May. That was a pretty quick turnaround, I ordered last Tuesday! Went for a Red LR, 18" wheels, white interior

now, do decide on a home charger. Easygo seem to have a good deal
    https://easygo.ie/news/drive-free/
    'A year’s free charging on the public network'...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Happy days, I got a delivery date for 21st May. That was a pretty quick turnaround, I ordered last Tuesday! Went for a Red LR, 18" wheels, white interior

now, do decide on a home charger. Easygo seem to have a good deal
    https://easygo.ie/news/drive-free/
    'A year’s free charging on the public network'...

Just some points to note :
    FREE Access onto the public charging network (compared with ESB charge €5 / month for this)
    A year’s free charging on the public network (based on average SIMI* driving with 95% home charging)

Free access is just the membership fee I believe. I don’t pay any fee to access EasyGo chargers but maybe that’s because I joined at the start of their business?

The free charging is based on average mileage and you get 5% of that based on the * above.

I may be wrong but no harm confirming.

It seems to say 180Kw free credit. that's the bit which caught my eye
    Gumbo wrote: »
    Just some points to note :

Free access is just the membership fee I believe. I don’t pay any fee to access EasyGo chargers but maybe that’s because I joined at the start of their business?

The free charging is based on average mileage and you get 5% of that based on the * above.

I may be wrong but no harm confirming.

now, do decide on a home charger. Easygo seem to have a good deal.

Regardless of who you sign up with for public charging, 100% get a home charger.

It’s the cheapest charging you will ever do.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jasna1982

How do you charge if you don't have driveway parking?
    I live in a house that has off street parking, but it's house - pavement - parking. Can I install a home charger at the side of my house and run the cable across the pavement to my car?
    Or is that considered a safety hazard?

Use my Tesla referral link for free charging credits: https://www.tesla.com/referral/jasna121868

I don't think you could get the grant in that case.
    And you know yourself in Ireland, if someone "allegedly" trips over it...
    Jasna1982 wrote: »
    How do you charge if you don't have driveway parking?
    I live in a house that has off street parking, but it's house - pavement - parking. Can I install a home charger at the side of my house and run the cable across the pavement to my car?
    Or is that considered a safety hazard?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭embraer170

I posted some real world figures from a recent trip to Cork in appalling weather, if you search back a few pages you should find it, but the headline figure is my SR+ (Made in America - 409km WLTP) has a winter motorway range of 220-240km @ 120km/h

I’d expect the newer ones with heat pumps to slightly better that figure, as on my trip, the heating was on for the duration as the temp was around 1 degree all day and the weather was crappy snow/rain....

Is that a real (GPS) or indicated 120km/h?

I wonder what the bad winter weather motorway range would be at significantly slower speed like 95-100km/h?

• Advertisement

embraer170 wrote: »
    Is that a real (GPS) or indicated 120km/h?

Both..
    when the car is indicating 120km/h, it's also 120km/h on GPS. Same for any lower speeds.

Its the most accurate speedo I've ever seen in any car (SR+ on 18" standard wheels).

look at any of Bjorn's videos when he's doing range tests at 90km/h & 120km/h.. in a Model 3, he's always set Autopilot at that actual speed, and in most other cars, he has to set cruise control a few km/h over the 90 or 120 to compensate.

Advertisement