Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭JOL1

Like the cars ...Chinese....90% of goods that we consume, including branded are made in China!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I know that but there is a difference in silicon quality from a cheap Chinese brand USB stick and brand name quality one even though they are both made in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

I’m not being smart or anything but what does it not do compared to other usb’s?

Im really happy with mine so far after a few days even though there is some alignment issues with the bodywork/rear lights so I’ve booked it in for a service next week. There may be stuff I’ve missed as well like not checking if there is a usb stick in there as I’ve only opened the glovebox once and it was while I was driving just to try the voice commands. Overall though the car is what I expected and maybe a bit more. The performance is a real standout even though I bought the rwd. My previous car had more power (342 bhp) and the numbers to any speed were faster but this thing feels quicker, must be the age of my last yoke and probably more torque in the m3. Also helps that it is a little lighter and more agile in bends with the low down centre of gravity but it is a very nice surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Like you my last car was certainly faster, especially 0-60 and then onwards to losing your license speeds. I was impressed on the test drive but I think your brain, certainly mine was way to busy trying to take it all in to truly appreciate the car and how it really drives. It’s really well planted and flat through the corners and the power delivery is so smooth it’s extremely easy and relaxing to drive, autopilot so far has been excellent. On Saturday I had reason to come home via Leixlip and there is a big hill that would have caused my previous auto to downshift but the M3 just glided up like it wasn’t there! I thought I’d miss the snap crackle and pop from the Cupra but I’m really enjoying the serenity, I must be getting old 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Yes you can exclude home, work and favorite from sentry mode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Just 2 days in to ownership but one observation that I have made (that I have already seen here also) is that the estimated battery level on arrival to your destination when using the satnav is very accurate - it has been within 1% of the 4 journeys that I have trialled it on and each journey was

It certainly helps to manage the newbie range anxiety when you see the % drop 1 by 1 on the screen.

Really enjoying the car. Power delivery is great - car is comfortable - rear leg room is good, boot space is good, light in the cabin is great and the tech is great also. Delighted that I went with the white interior as I think that it gives an extra sense of space in the cabin. Software updates OTA are brilliant - ability to fix issues/bugs without going to the garage or (potentially) not having to live with inherent design flaws that were delivered with the car on Day 1...

To keep it balanced, a couple of downsides:

1. Auto headlights are not good at all - I have switched to manual - they are too slow to react to oncoming traffic. Hopefully this can be resolved over future software updates as they are way behind others - my previous car was 8 yrs old and the auto headlights were very good.
    2. Phantom braking while using Autopilot. Have had a few of these already on N-roads and it has put me off using it for now - when it happens I feel like a right muppet wrt the car behind me as they must think that I am braking to tell them to get back a bit or something... Again, I hope that they can make this better with future updates.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

One thing that seems to have crept into my AP driving more and more are the auto wipers coming on when it's NOT RAINING. Last night I had to turn AP and cruise off because the wipers were squeaking against a dry window. The sound was irritating and can't imagine it's good for the window or wipers.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Sometimes when I get phantom wiping, it helps to give a blast of water to clean the screen (even if it's clean), and if that doesn't work, turning them from 'auto' to off and back onto auto after a minute or so seems to usually work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Elon doesn't get that medical tests can have false positives and negatives also. If only there was an analogy in his own industry to help him understand.

I think the problem is if your screen gets dirty and maybe some dirt dries in then it thinks "oh this screen is dirty I need to clean it" or "oh this thing on the screen must be rain, I need to clear it"

But the screen wash doesn't clear it. Then it's just wiping constantly over a dry screen.

I don't have a major issue with them doing this if u have auto selected but the problem is when cruise or AP is on then u simply cannot turn off auto wipers which is absurb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭gallagheri

I am baffled lads. I drove down to the sandyford Tesla Centre to basically show my wife that the car is spacious and all of that. They don't have cars on dispaly, not a single one. They made us wait for like 15-20 mins to then tell us they don't have a Model 3 (the brands only big selling car?) other than the test drive car (which was out).

What kind of operation they have here? I honestly can't believe this, about to pour 60k into a car and they don't even have a car to sit on without booking a test drive?

Very put off by this experience, although I still want the car.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If you didn't book then you showed up on spec and can't expect them to have another car available, although the practical side of me would suggest they should have showed you a loaner M3 (unless they were all out too)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭speedfreak

Never mind the lights auto wipers are now the worst thing about AP I hate them! Staying on when not needed not coming in when needed. Not great at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

let us know where you’re based. I’m sure any nearby boardsie will let you have a look at theirs.

Stay Free

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

They have a very easy test drive booking system online. If you show up they have nothing.

Same if you show up to Joe Duffy BMW tomorrow. They don’t have a single i4 for viewing. You order based on what you’ve seen online or on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭gallagheri

Yeah I just did not expect that the only way to get to see one up close would be a test drive appointment! I imagined the'd have at least a model 3 and model Y just sitting indoor... I thought that's the way showrooms work worldwide.

But anyway - thanks for the offer @...Ghost... my neighbour has a Model 3 and just asked him if he could show us around the car ;). I just did not want to bother the man, lol.

In fairness any time I’ve ever been out in Sandyford, they’ve always had at least a Model 3 there…. So perhaps they are just awaiting a newer showroom display model to come in..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Not in these times. BMW showrooms have no I4's on show.

I'd say your neighbour will only be delighted to show you around their new car, and if he's not, then i'm sure many others would.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭vinnie_cork

Book

test drive online. Simple process. I did this in July. Closest test date for as actual next day.

turned up on time & had drive by myself for 1.5hrs.

ordered car in July.

collected car in September

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Haven’t used the auto headlights as I’ve heard they are no use.

The auto wipers are crap and it’s mad that you have to go to the screen to use them manually. started raining on my drive today and they were fine to begin with but just kept going when the rain stopped. I tried giving the screen a wash but it didn’t help. I think it’s just water in there now so will add some washer in tomorrow. Hopefully that helps but I’m not getting my hopes up..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Moreilly

+1 for a car that is well north of 50k it's just not good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭JOL1

make sure you get used to using/playing with "voice" commands...very useful while driving where you don't wish to be distracted. works for many of the functions "Turn wipers on" "Open trips" Activate using right scroll button

I find the Auto wipers generally work quite well 99% of the time.

Also, if they ever are acting up, you can bring up the wiper settings by simply pressing the end of the stalk to activate the wiper once or to wash the screen - doing this brings the wiper settings on screen for a few seconds..

the problem is when on cruise control or AP the auto wipers is automatically turned on and cannot be turned off. So if you are having phantom wiping (which a lot of people do have) you have 2 options:

Leave cruise/AP on but have to put up with the wipers wiping a dry screen

Turn off cruise/AP and then turn the wipers off

Neither are ideal workarounds. I'm not an expert on how the AI behind the auto-wipers work but its certainly not great. Surely in an update they can add the option to adjust the wiper settings when on cruise/AP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭wassie

Just catching up on the thread here when this caught my attention.

Says he’s away and sis took snaps.

Im calling BS on this chancer on Donedeal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Heads up, after my rear windows tint I disclosed same to insurers as I'm up for renewal, they consider it a modification and Engineers Report required. Having worked in the Insurance industry I wanted all loop holes covered in the case of a claim so burying my head in the sand and not saying anything is not an option for me.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

On modifications i know a few who have purchased the "acceleration boost" on LR models and haven't noted it as a modification to their insurance companies. Better safe than sorry...................

Would it technically be a modification, as the motor's were always capable of the faster speeds.... but were just software restricted...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Could the same be said about remapping an ICE?

Stay Free

• Advertisement

absolutely i would imagine - i'm not an underwriter though

Advertisement