Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate agent let slip that house next door will be social

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭_ptashek_

I live in an old estate that shares the land with a much newer one, part of which is social/council housing.

Over the years we've had all sorts of people around. The vast (99%) majority of people in those houses keep to themselves, and go about their life just like everyone else making do with what they have. Some are better off, some are not. Some work, some can't due to disabilities, others pop a kid out once a year and live off of SW.

We've had our share of scumbaggery as well, up-to and including an 6+ person family whose three year old insisted on going to toilet in people's driveways for several months, and the mom couldn't care any less about cleaning up after her kid, or doing anything about it.

All in all, from own and friend's experience I'd say it's mostly OK, and I wouldn't necessarily be put off by it (and haven't been when buying out house). Depends on the neighborhood too, I guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Healy_Rayban

<SNIP>

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

any attempts to turn this thread into a general social-housing bashing will not end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The upside could be that they’re fantastic neighbors. With private owners, by this logic, there is no upside either

The worst neighbours I ever had were private owners. After that I sought isolated houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

We live next to a social house and they are great neighbours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

You buy next to social housing and things could work out fine. If they dont good luck with trying to sell. Potential viewers will arrive on to see Jacinta walking back from the shops in her pyjamas at 3 in the afternoon. You pay your money and take your chance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Edgware wrote: »
    You buy next to social housing and things could work out fine. If they dont good luck with trying to sell. Potential viewers will arrive on to see Jacinta walking back from the shops in her pyjamas at 3 in the afternoon. You pay your money and take your chance

Of course they can also rock up on their horses and park their friends and cousins hiace vans all over the road and have 3 or 4 seasonal traveling friends - and their families - park up too -
    just like the 500k house a few miles up the road - or the eighteen that arrived looking for a home and move on money recently that have been highlighted in threads here and reported in their high court free legal aid ‘case’ on new rleatates being built. They have moved on to their second one now in as many months. The one Im thinking of their garden and laneway is now routinely filled
    to shoulder level with bits of washing machines & old freestandjng cookers - and surprise surprise now weekly bags of household waste are being flung on the road just up from them. Both houses next door have gone in the market and have lost about 50% of their original value from sales 2 or 3 years ago - down from 750/800k to 350k for some poor sucker or housing charity. . No surprises there.

Without exception every house in our estate or surrounding area that is haP or sociial stands out a mile - dirty windows, overflowing bins, stockpiles of plastic toys outside, and frequent visits from the gaurds or special branch parked outside watching for drugs/illegals to come out . The clue is in the utterly unkempt gardens, windows, gutters and dirt - its someone elses ‘respinsibility’ and its never a cash priority for
    them to oay to have something fixed or cleaned until it gets to major complaint level.

OP - from what I’ve seen both renting and from having bought - I’d run a mile - unless you want your nightmare to start now and your asset to start depreciating the minute you draw down your lifelong mortgage. There is a commonly used international phriase that I wouldn’t be allowed post here - it exists as a
    phenomonon for a reason. You have absolutely no idea what will be put in alongside you and ex prisoners/ paedophiles /wandering classes and all
    their offspring are number ine priority for homeless housing as their need is immediate Nd urgent. Its not just endless boozed up parties and endless children with limited oarentinv or funancial resources you have to watch out for. Is this why you work and pay all your life for? If things get bad you can’t just
    move. And there are over 300+ nominated charities providing ‘homeless’ housing - could ve ex prisoners, could be just unmarried mothers, could be anyone - and guaranteed after fighting for years through their rights with GDPR and their automatic right to free legal aid to fight you in every court you will be very sorry you blithely just went ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭joeysoap

The only buyers of your house in the future is the council or health board. They are active customers for such houses but just don’t expect any ‘ brucie ‘ bonuses, there are none.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Of course they can also rock up on their horses and park their friends and cousins hiace vans all over the road and have 3 or 4 seasonal traveling friends - and their families - park up too -
    just like the 500k house a few miles up the road - or the eighteen that arrived looking for a home and move on money recently that have been highlighted in threads here and reported in their high court free legal aid ‘case’ on new rleatates being built. They have moved on to their second one now in as many months. The one Im thinking of their garden and laneway is now routinely filled
    to shoulder level with bits of washing machines & old freestandjng cookers - and surprise surprise now weekly bags of household waste are being flung on the road just up from them. Both houses next door have gone in the market and have lost about 50% of their original value from sales 2 or 3 years ago - down from 750/800k to 350k for some poor sucker or housing charity. . No surprises there.

Without exception every house in our estate or surrounding area that is haP or sociial stands out a mile - dirty windows, overflowing bins, stockpiles of plastic toys outside, and frequent visits from the gaurds or special branch parked outside watching for drugs/illegals to come out . The clue is in the utterly unkempt gardens, windows, gutters and dirt - its someone elses ‘respinsibility’ and its never a cash priority for
    them to oay to have something fixed or cleaned until it gets to major complaint level.

OP - from what I’ve seen both renting and from having bought - I’d run a mile - unless you want your nightmare to start now and your asset to start depreciating the minute you draw down your lifelong mortgage. There is a commonly used international phriase that I wouldn’t be allowed post here - it exists as a
    phenomonon for a reason. You have absolutely no idea what will be put in alongside you and ex prisoners/ paedophiles /wandering classes and all
    their offspring are number ine priority for homeless housing as their need is immediate Nd urgent. Its not just endless boozed up parties and endless children with limited oarentinv or funancial resources you have to watch out for. Is this why you work and pay all your life for? If things get bad you can’t just
    move. And there are over 300+ nominated charities providing ‘homeless’ housing - could ve ex prisoners, could be just unmarried mothers, could be anyone - and guaranteed after fighting for years through their rights with GDPR and their automatic right to free legal aid to fight you in every court you will be very sorry you blithely just went ahead.

The sad thing is that people will think that you are exaggerating. I am aware of someone who paid 555,000 Euro for an apartment in Dublin 14. Lovely designed apartments and landscaped grounds. The first block as you enter the complex was allocated to social housing. Complete ignoring of estate rules means the first views that visitors gets are balconies full of laundry, bicycles ( ah jaysus theyd be robbed if we put them in the bicycle store). Already the Management Company has had to replace carpets in that block as well as paint the walls because of stains from bicycles being left against them. Welcome to social integration.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Edgware wrote: »
    The sad thing is that people will think that you are exaggerating. I am aware of someone who paid 555,000 Euro for an apartment in Dublin 14. Lovely designed apartments and landscaped grounds. The first block as you enter the complex was allocated to social housing. Complete ignoring of estate rules means the first views that visitors gets are balconies full of laundry, bicycles ( ah jaysus theyd be robbed if we put them in the bicycle store). Already the Management Company has had to replace carpets in that block as well as paint the walls because of stains from bicycles being left against them. Welcome to social integration.

Has his lifestyle been affected? The value dropped?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

Where is this estate

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Where is this estate

Same question

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

you could buy a house in most private estates for 240k, it turns out the house next door is rented out to a hap tenant.
    i lived in a house, the landlord was very nice.he always rented out to single mothers with 3 kids .
    the mother was a bit strange, once a week one or 2 kids nappys would be thrown into my back garden.
    i lived there 10 years, the average tenant stayed there for 3 years .
    otherwise it she was very quiet.Many landlords rent out to hap clients ,as long as they get the rent every week they are happy to keep their distance.i most hap tenants have at least 2 children if they are living in a house.
    say you are buying a house on an estate , you could look on the land registery or other websites to find out is it owned by the council.
    talk to neighbours ,or ask the estate agent.
    i,m sure there are hap tenants who are very quiet, neat and polite.the councils usually buy 3 bed house,s as council tenants usually have 2 kids ,
    if a woman has one child she,ll probably be given a 2 bed apartment.
    if the house next door is 3 bed its very likely it will be rented by a mother with 2 children .
    by the way sometimes criminals and drug dealers buy house,s too.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

I’m looking at a housing estate I’ve just gone on to land registry and a lot of houses don’t have red border around them . Does that mean they are not owned

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭screamer

I’d buy elsewhere. It’s too much money to risk if you get an anti social social housing neighbour. I’ve heard horror stories of people having to literally sell for whatever they can get and leave and start again. Not worth the risk if it were me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

The vast majority of social housing are ok tenants but there’s a lot more wrong ones than their used to be who know they can get away with anything in PC ireland . These people don’t have to worry about going to work etc so they can stay up with tv blaring until 3 or 4 in the morning smoking hash and fcuk you and your job

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭C3PO

It's one of those ones where the advice is "I'm sure it will be fine" but if it was me I think I'd be looking somewhere else!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

True.
    90% chance it will be fine.
    Small chance it will go wrong at some point.
    But if that small chance happens the value of your house will be hit significantly.
    You could even end up in negative equity during times when house prices rise.
    I wouldnt take the chance.
    The day you buy is the day you sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

I can't see one house being reduced to negative equity because there is a social housing, house, next door. Sure who would know? Generally when buying a house you have no clue who your neighbours are going to be and if it's a good housing estate, all houses will be sought after.

My take on it is...

Yes, there is a possibility that your neighbours could be dodgy but you would have a better chance getting them evicted if they are council tenants than you would if they were private owners.

Either way you run the risk of having bad neigbours but that's a chance all home owners take.

Just to chime in here. My next door neighbour bought her house. I ended up having to take her to court over noise issues (and won). It really is just the luck of the draw who you get. The estate I live in has a mix of private buyers and social housing. Some of the social neighbours are lovey.

I am glad to hear that that dreadful situation was resolved.
    Congratulations!

And yes, anyone can be a nuisance re noise .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

LuasSimon wrote: »
    The vast majority of social housing are ok tenants but there’s a lot more wrong ones than their used to be who know they can get away with anything in PC ireland . These people don’t have to worry about going to work etc so they can stay up with tv blaring until 3 or 4 in the morning smoking hash and fcuk you and your job

Its always that small minority that give the majority a bad a name but when they do they do it in a spectacular fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 KiraNerys

"Most social tenants will do very annoying, frustrating things, but generally it isn't actually meant that way. It's just the consideration for people having to get up for work early etc. isn't something that's taken on board as it's not something the person themselves are used to."

Oh for gods sake, most social tenants have jobs!

The misinformation and appalling snobbery on this thread is unbelievable!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Go to a council estate in the morning 8 am
    95 per cent of houses have 1 or 2 cars parking outside eg this means at least one person the house is working.
    I know a man on disability allowance, age 54 he was given a brand new house by the council.
    I don't know if its located in a private estate as I never asked him about it

• Registered Users Posts: 16 KiraNerys

The majority of social housing is not in "council estates" and most social tenants now are not council tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 KnowingWind

Under no circumstance would I buy next to a council house. Thats a nightmare scenario.

These people often have no respect for their house, neighbors or anything as they havent had to work for it.

Its likely they wont work and will be hanging around all day making noise.

They will likely have kids who have a more chance of being trouble.

In my opinion all council homes should be put together in some neighborhood far away from most. Give people an incentive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Under no circumstance would I buy next to a council house. Thats a nightmare scenario.

These people often have no respect for their house, neighbors or anything as they havent had to work for it.

Its likely they wont work and will be hanging around all day making noise.

They will likely have kids who have a more chance of being trouble.

In my opinion all council homes should be put together in some neighborhood far away from most. Give people an incentive.

Generalise much ???

Dublin City Council has 25,000 houses/units. Cork has 9,000 and Limerick around 6,000. That's 40,000 just from those three alone and County Councils and all other urban areas would no doubt come close to doubling that figure. That doesn't include thousands of social properties held by other housing associations.

The live register has 126,000 unemployed for September, many of them thanks to the Covid situation.

Do your sums and quit the generalisations. Chances are that there's people in your neighbourhood in social housing and you don't even know it. Owning your property doesn't automatically make you a perfect neighbour, just as renting your property doesn't automatically make you the neighbour from hell.

Generalise much ???

Dublin City Council has 25,000 houses/units. Cork has 9,000 and Limerick around 6,000. That's 40,000 just from those three alone and County Councils and all other urban areas would no doubt come close to doubling that figure. That doesn't include thousands of social properties held by other housing associations.

The live register has 126,000 unemployed for September, many of them thanks to the Covid situation.

Do your sums and quit the generalisations. Chances are that there's people in your neighbourhood in social housing and you don't even know it. Owning your property doesn't automatically make you a perfect neighbour, just as renting your property doesn't automatically make you the neighbour from hell.

Thank you. Very much! From all of us who rent from the council .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

KiraNerys wrote: »
    "Most social tenants will do very annoying, frustrating things, but generally it isn't actually meant that way. It's just the consideration for people having to get up for work early etc. isn't something that's taken on board as it's not something the person themselves are used to."

Oh for gods sake, most social tenants have jobs!

The misinformation and appalling snobbery on this thread is unbelievable!

Don't think that's true, not for DCC anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 KnowingWind

<SNIP>

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

on that note, OP appears to have stopped responding so I'm going to close this up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement