Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think men can be close friends with women?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I think you can be friends but not really close friends TBH.

A lot of men who are friends with women want to be a lot more than friends, let's be honest here, the other way around not so much.
    I've close women friends throughout my life. No attraction going on from either party. Like sisters I suppose. The only thing I've noted is when marriage comes along they will inevitably drift away down to occasional how's life type calls. I suppose it's the "how do I explain away a male friend in matrimonial suburbia when people might start assuming things" effect going on? If we were once an item I can well understand it and wouldn't be into maintaining friendships in those setups and never have. Now male mates can drift away in a similar fashion but it's not as obvious in my experience. Funny enough I've heard those same women mates note that women friends of theirs can do a similar drifting away. Until they end up at the same stage as them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

My best mate is a women and I plan to have her in as my "Best Man" when I get married

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Wibbs wrote: »
    I've close women friends throughout my life. No attraction going on from either party. Like sisters I suppose. The only thing I've noted is when marriage comes along they will inevitably drift away down to occasional how's life type calls. I suppose it's the "how do I explain away a male friend in matrimonial suburbia when people might start assuming things" effect going on? If we were once an item I can well understand it and wouldn't be into maintaining friendships in those setups and never have. Now male mates can drift away in a similar fashion but it's not as obvious in my experience. Funny enough I've heard those same women mates note that women friends of theirs can do a similar drifting away. Until they end up at the same stage as them.

I personally don't find that to be the case, I have always found male friendships to be closer, of course I have had valued female friendships too, just not to the extent of male friendships where I would in general have more in common with naturally enough I suppose.

I agree with your second point although friendships in general are hard to maintain as you get older.

When I was younger I probably had more female friends than male, but now (excluding my wife) I don't have any, bar one I'd have text conversations with occasionally. And she was from when I was a teenager. I think as we get older our interests diverged too much.

I really enjoyed having female friends when younger, but think it'd be weird now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

greenspurs wrote: »
    Thats 3 threads since "he" returned that he has just rehashed ... same topic, just a little difference in phrasing !!

How the f*** is this sh1t allowed go on unchecked !!
    THis kind of fcukery is ruining boards.....

I know your trying to enlighten posters about the OP rehashing bolloxology threads, and that I find admiral. After all some posters might like the OPs Maybe there just on the same wavelength or maybe there bored and have nothing interesting going at the moment and they need to post.
    I personally think the OP is some sort of computer programme (a faulty one at that)that has a set of basic words, like gay/bi/sex/ women etc in it and it shoots out threads hoping it can garner interest from posters. Hey but that's just my opinion.
    Greenspurs, keep up your crusade, in my opinion is am admiral cause.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭9db3xj7z41fs5u

Kylta wrote: »
    I know your trying to enlighten posters about the OP rehashing bolloxology threads, and that I find admiral. After all some posters might like the OPs Maybe there just on the same wavelength or maybe there bored and have nothing interesting going at the moment and they need to post.
    I personally think the OP is some sort of computer programme (a faulty one at that)that has a set of basic words, like gay/bi/sex/ women etc in it and it shoots out threads hoping it can garner interest from posters. Hey but that's just my opinion.
    Greenspurs, keep up your crusade, in my opinion is am admiral cause.

This is a random but somewhat related question. On the DailyMail, there can be two diametrically opposed top comments on different articles about the same topic. Furthermore, occasionally on Boards there are comments that do not make sense in the context of the average Irish person on the street‘s mentality. Are they bot comments or bot likes?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

This is a random but somewhat related question. On the DailyMail, there can be two diametrically opposed top comments on different articles about the same topic. Furthermore, occasionally on Boards there are comments that do not make sense in the context of the average Irish person on the street‘s mentality. Are they bot comments or bot likes?

I think that depends on what the question is and who answers the question. If your either for or against the said question. But take for instance the irish sunday papers, the majority of the news is just rehashed weekly new. There's one sunday newspaper that is constantly rehashing the criminality in our society weekly, is it good reporting. No its lazy reporting, instead of somebody doing an investigated reported, you have somebody rehashing old reports. Hence I'd find no value in rehashed reports, saying that if you rehashed them every six months it would then be classed has catching up on events. Therefore its always going to be the opinion of the reader, hence whether he's for or against

I have 5 close female friends, I don't see why this would even be a foreign concept to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

I'm with someone and I also have a circle of female friends. Sometimes when I'm around town and bump into one of them, we'll have a coffee and a chat. Yet there are those see us who will automatically assume that there is something going on between us that shouldn't be!!

Advertisement