Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think men can be close friends with women?

Options
  • 07-10-2020 7:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Without anything more going on? I used to hear someone in school say that unless a man is gay or finds his female friend really unattractive, a male-female friendship is bound to have romantic/sexual attraction develop between the two.

But that seems very naive and childish. I'm sure there are married men that have close female friends as they do with lads.

What I find interesting in Ireland (as pointed out to me by continental European friends and Australian, American friends) is that in Ireland, there's this weird gender segregation that goes on past secondary school. In many other countries, boys and girls are self conscious and immature so they tend to avoid each other up until they become adults and enter college. In college, this usually disappears but for the Irish, it seems that men and women are very cliquey. Men stay with men and women stay with women. If you look at the Facebook posts of Irish guys and girls you see it's mainly guys in a group of guys and girls in a group of girls even in college gaffes.

Why do you think that is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

Fair play for your environmentalism and recycling topics:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112067072

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

That hasn't really been my experience. My college friends were most definitely mixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

I had friends that were girls but deep down I wanted to bang them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Insidious

It's possible of course! It's just you need to have slept with them first.... Once that's out of the system it can be great! ðŸ˜

As a bi guy, in that case, I'd be doomed to friendlessness!

I can actually manage to differentiate between friends & sex and I'm sure straight men can too.

• Advertisement

At last year's Christmas work party (remember those?) I was talking to by far the best looking girl all night.

She looked stunning, you know the way the plain enough girl during office hours makes a huge effort for the Xmas staff party and suddenly looks smoking. We randomly sat alongside each other for the meal and hadn't really chatted much to each other at the office for the last couple of years and had loads to talk about, especially about who to bitch about.

We went out to the smoking shed and other men from different companies sharing our venue tried chatting her up, but she had no interest in them and we continued our conversation in our own little bubble.

But here's the thing OP, there was no awkward sexual attraction getting in the way of our conversation. Just a good old chin wag. So, yeah, it's possible.

Incidentally, we're marking the third year of our divorce next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

At last year's Christmas work party (remember those?)
    Why wouldn't we remember last years Christmas work party?

Why wouldn't we remember last years Christmas work party?

If you can remember it were you even really there, eh? :pac: But, meant work events in general.

I shared a bed with a beautiful Swedish woman for like six months while we both dated other people. We were plutonic best friends and it just felt normal somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Regis779

I think there can be, I have a guy that is a friend and don't feel any sexual attraction. Just purely enjoying his company and liking him as a person

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dubbrin

I shared a bed with a beautiful Swedish woman for like six months while we both dated other people. We were plutonic best friends and it just felt normal somehow.

Did it ever get awkward when one of you would bring the other half around to stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

440Hertz wrote: »
    As a bi guy

That's just greedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭UI_Paddy

I used to hear someone in school say that unless a man is gay or finds his female friend really unattractive, a male-female friendship is bound to have romantic/sexual attraction develop between the two.

But that seems very naive and childish. I'm sure there are married men that have close female friends as they do with lads.

Very naive and childish. I've been with my girlfriend/ now fiance for 6 years and still have good female friends that I bond with having no ulterior motives.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I had friends that were girls but deep down I wanted to bang them all.

I've had plenty of female friends i didn't have sex with - but i would have done without a doubt if it ever came up (pardon the pun;)). I've only had 1 in all my years who i genuinely had no real interest in banging, she was a really lovely girl but she looked like an ewok god love her.......and i probably still would have.

I'm the sort of person who can't help but find some attractive feature in practically everyone. I once fancied the pants off this one girl because she had a slightly hooked nose, countless others because of their eyes and if you have red hair, proceed to the top of the line.

So in short, it may work for some people but there's practically always some sort of a sexual element to it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Friends, yes. Good solid real friends. Friends who can chat easily over a whole life time about mutual interests and have a good laugh, and talk about life's problems in a general and supporting way. Friends who genuinely care about the other, admire them as a good human being and who you would mourn for if they died.
    But "close" suggests very confiding, emotionally intimate, exclusive of others. Maybe I am misinterpreting the word. I don't think that it is healthy for a person with a partner to have a different person of the opposite sex (if heterosexual, same sex if homosexual) to whom they are excessively close and emotionally intimate. There is something emasculating for the man about a woman stringing along a man friend in that way, close but never all the way. I don't know what the word is if a man maintains a woman in that kind of place but it is the same. Maybe if the close friend has really subsumed or embodied a maternal/paternal/sibling role it would be possible...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

stoneill wrote:
    That's just greedy.

Or maybe they're just bi

• Registered Users Posts: 10,236 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Without anything more going on? I used to hear someone in school say that unless a man is gay or finds his female friend really unattractive, a male-female friendship is bound to have romantic/sexual attraction develop between the two.

What I find interesting in Ireland (as pointed out to me by continental European friends and Australian, American friends) is that in Ireland, there's this weird gender segregation that goes on past secondary school. In many other countries, boys and girls are self conscious and immature so they tend to avoid each other up until they become adults and enter college. In college, this usually disappears but for the Irish, it seems that men and women are very cliquey. Men stay with men and women stay with women. If you look at the Facebook posts of Irish guys and girls you see it's mainly guys in a group of guys and girls in a group of girls even in college gaffes.

Why do you think that is?
    Notmything wrote: »
    Fair play for your environmentalism and recycling topics:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112067072

Thats 3 threads since "he" returned that he has just rehashed ... same topic, just a little difference in phrasing !!

How the f*** is this sh1t allowed go on unchecked !!
    THis kind of fcukery is ruining boards.....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

greenspurs wrote: »
    Thats 3 threads since "he" returned that he has just rehashed ... same topic, just a little difference in phrasing !!

How the f*** is this sh1t allowed go on unchecked !!
    THis kind of fcukery is ruining boards.....

I assumed I was in After Hours, hence the joke. :o With that said, others have responded with genuine answers and the thread, if not the OP, has merit.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Or maybe they're just bi

Ah! sure at this stage, I’m well used to snide comments about being bi, both from people who think they’re utterly hilarious and those with an axe to grind from either side of the fence.

Meh!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I think you can be friends but not really close friends TBH.

A lot of men who are friends with women want to be a lot more than friends, let's be honest here, the other way around not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

I think you can be friends but not really close friends TBH.

A lot of men who are friends with women want to be a lot more than friends, let's be honest here, the other way around not so much.

When you get past your 20s it is possible. I think around then you realise that having more than one woman on the go really just means more than one woman to nag you to death

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

440Hertz wrote: »
    As a bi guy, in that case, I'd be doomed to friendlessness!

I can actually manage to differentiate between friends & sex and I'm sure straight men can too.

We can't

When you get past your 20s it is possible. I think around then you realise that having more than one woman on the go really just means more than one woman to nag you to death

You're right about the nagging part

Gruffalux wrote: »
    Friends, yes. Good solid real friends. Friends who can chat easily over a whole life time about mutual interests and have a good laugh, and talk about life's problems in a general and supporting way. Friends who genuinely care about the other, admire them as a good human being and who you would mourn for if they died.
    But "close" suggests very confiding, emotionally intimate, exclusive of others. Maybe I am misinterpreting the word. I don't think that it is healthy for a person with a partner to have a different person of the opposite sex (if heterosexual, same sex if homosexual) to whom they are excessively close and emotionally intimate. There is something emasculating for the man about a woman stringing along a man friend in that way, close but never all the way. I don't know what the word is if a man maintains a woman in that kind of place but it is the same. Maybe if the close friend has really subsumed or embodied a maternal/paternal/sibling role it would be possible...

Yeah but no that's impossible for guys, eventually the temptation of titties and a her mouth on your cock is too much

Regis779 wrote: »
    I think there can be, I have a guy that is a friend and don't feel any sexual attraction. Just purely enjoying his company and liking him as a person

He's just softening you up for when you get his hard on in your hands

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭jay1988

stoneill wrote: »
    That's just greedy.

That's a dick comment right there, grow up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Most of my closest friends for the last 20 odd years are women so yes men can be close friends with women without anything going on.

jay1988 wrote: »
    That's a dick comment right there, grow up.

Does being bi preclude a sense of humour or what - it was clearly meant as a joke!

Does being bi preclude a sense of humour or what - it was clearly meant as a joke!

A joke should have some element of originality, not just a repeated trope. Example, you could have picked up on their use of dick and suggested. 'That's a dick/vag comment right there, grow up.' ;)

• Advertisement

Shít. Another opportunity missed :D

Advertisement