Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020. What have you learned so far?

Options
2»

Comments

I've learned that Irish people genuinely care more about pubs and pints, then pretty much anything and everything else.

I've lost a lot of respect for my country this year. I don't know if I'll ever regain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭pidgeoneyes

That 2020 is only getting started!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

xzanti wrote: »
    My anxiety disappears when I don't have to deal with people. (Lockdown)
    Nothing really matters other than family.
    People will turn on each other easily when faced with adversity. (Supermarket greed).
    Humor is important for our mental health (memes).
    Never to take holidays for granted again.

So true I’ve said the very same thing since this all began.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

It's been a strange year.

I've learned that black lives matter.

That old people rarely emerge from nursing homes alive.

Oh - and that Sinn Fein 'won' the election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ekerot

That we all have a lot more in common then we actually think.

I've learned that Irish people genuinely care more about pubs and pints, then pretty much anything and everything else.

You only learned that this year?..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I learned that my life actually changed very little overall. I was working throughout lockdown so my daily routine changed only slightly. I'm single, I live alone and am not a very social animal in general. I read about people really missing contact with friends and family or holidays abroad, and I'm like.....eh. Whatever.

Another lockdown wouldn't really bother me tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Unfortunately, I've learnt that scientists and doctors in white coats seem to be very slow in issuing proper advice.

People sneezing, people coughing and infected surfaces. We we meant to believe everyone was getting infected this way. My gut instinct was telling me some other factor was at play. Then almost 5 months later, we hear that aersolised droplets from speech is a major conduit for spread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

jetsonx wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I've learnt that scientists and doctors in white coats seem to be very slow in issuing proper advice.

People sneezing, people coughing and infected surfaces. We we meant to believe everyone was getting infected this way. My gut instinct was telling me some other factor was at play. Then almost 5 months later, we hear that aersolised droplets from speech is a major conduit for spread.

Ummm... I think most of us figured out fairly early on that basically any close human contact could lead to being infected. By “from speech” do you literally and specifically mean from someone actually talking? You seem to need to have everything spelled out for you, I’d love to know where “from speech” came from.

• Advertisement

Ummm... I think most of us figured out fairly early on that basically any close human contact could lead to being infected. By “from speech” do you literally and specifically mean from someone actually talking? You seem to need to have everything spelled out for you, I’d love to know where “from speech” came from.

"From speech", "from talking" call it what you will.

As have having everything "spelled out", that is exactly what you need to do in a public health communication message. Spell it out, no ambiguity, nice and clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I miss Marian Finucane.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

jetsonx wrote: »

only an "expert" until userped by facts you fail to accept from others.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,377 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I learned that I’m not great at teaching my kids as I don’t have the gravitas needed to discipline them.
    I have also found out I’m a good daddy to good kids . Not perfect by any means, but I’m happy .

I miss Marian Finucane.

A beacon of common sense.

A challenger of "expert" opinion (always done in the nicest possible way).

Always saw the wood from the trees on a topic.

Her grounded commentary was sorely missed during this pandemic. RIP Marian.

Advertisement