Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020. What have you learned so far?

Options
  • 07-10-2020 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭

So as this absolute sh1tshow of a year enters its final months. I think a bit of wistful retrospection might bring a bit of light to AH this morning.

What have you learned this year? About yourself? About your life? About the meaning of it all?

I'll start:

- I've learned what's really important to me and it's not my sh1tty corporate job or how others see me. It's my family, the friends that are like family and the little moments of joy we can find in every day.

- I've learned that I really need nature to stay sane. Outdoor walks, hikes, getting near the sea as often as possible. It grounds me during stressful times

- I've learned to be a bit more compassionate with everyone, including myself. This is hard. There's good days and bad days and you just have to go with it. People will act out. Act like dikcheads, seclude themselves or become needy. Some days it's an emotional rollercoaster, other days not a bother on me. Blame and shame and judgement doesn't help anyone.

- I've learned too much time to myself isn't always a good thing, despite being an introvert at heart.

What have you learned AH?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,501 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

If you turn a frozen pizza halfway through cooking (as per most instructions), it still gets more done on one side. Turn the pizza 2/3 - 3/4 through cooking for a more even cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I love lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭smck321

You are influenced by those who surround you more than you think.

Started the year living in a cheap dingy apartment in the centre of town surrounded by people throwing parties during lockdown and in one case sh*tin in the hall.

Moved to a house since surrounded by people with 9 to 5 jobs, it might cost more but it is an expense that is worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

There's a lot of people who genuinely don't give a toss about anyone only themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Theres loads of stupid people out there , people in america are protesting about having to wear flag.Some people in america are still saying ah sure covid 19 is like the flu.
    The flu does not kill 200k people in one year .
    The amercan government can print billions of dollars , but they cannot afford to pay for covid testing for ordinary people who are not rich or famous.
    the irish government is not perfect but we have a functioning medical system
    and we have had a logical process to tackle covid 19.
    We do not culture wars that are going on in america .
    The internet is hardly a luxury anymore.
    Millions of people can work from home using the internet .
    Maybe all these expensive large office buildings are not necessary or maybe people in the future could go to an office 2 days a week and work from home if they choose to do so.
    being able to met people in a cafe or a pub is important ,sitting outside at a table is not the same.
    America is no longer the leader of the free world, it can hardly take care of its own problems .
    with the mega fires in australia and america its hard for anyone rational to deny the existance of climate change.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

My anxiety disappears when I don't have to deal with people. (Lockdown)
    Nothing really matters other than family.
    People will turn on each other easily when faced with adversity. (Supermarket greed).
    Humor is important for our mental health (memes).
    Never to take holidays for granted again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There's a lot of people who genuinely don't give a toss about anyone only themselves.

Me Feinerism is rife, at all levels of society. Rules are for other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I learnt I love getting to sit at home doing nothing while getting paid for pleasure of doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭screamer

My work/ life balance was crap and needs to change when Covid is under control

When the sh!t hits the fan, look in the mirror, that is the only person who can help you

My home is my castle

I learned that lockdown really suits me. I hope we get another.

Colour me controversial, I fervently hope we don't endure another lockdown as it would cripple the economy and severely test the mental health of most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I have learned to appreciate a hug.

My current reaction to the mere sight of someone hugging, even in a movie, is instant anxiety as to where have they been, are they in a risk category, etc..I look forward to never thinking like that again.

Hindsight's 2020..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I've learned that i am so much happier when i don't have to work. I was on temporary lay off for 6 months - best 6 months of my entire adult life.

Would have been a different story without covid payments and mortgage holidays i'm sure, but there was covid payments and mortgage holidays and i absolutely loved it!

I've also learned that most of the things i do, i just do through habbit - the only thing i missed doing was visiting my family. I didn't miss pubs, restaurants, cinemas, shops, sports any of that shít. I'm perfectly happy to potter around the gaf, doing nothing in particular more or less indefinitely!

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

I've learned that i am so much happier when i don't have to work. I was on temporary lay off for 6 months - best 6 months of my entire adult life.

That's great. What kind of things did you get up to?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

experts have a 50/50 chance of being right

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I'm perfectly happy to potter around the gaf, doing nothing in particular more or less indefinitely!

:D

In my defense, i did spend the first month or so working on various bits around the house and garden that i didn't want to give my normal weekend over to doing, as i didn't think i'd be out that long and thought i might as well make the most of the time off.

But the rest of the time was pretty much just chilling. It was great!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

I've learned that toilet roll will be the only currency of value if things ever turn apocalyptic in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Its been interesting, its unsettled a lot of people, it has brought a lot of cranks and oddballs out of the wood work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

I learned that John Lennon was right when he said life is what happens when you're making other plans. Nothing surprises me anymore. If you told me its recently been discovered that people from Canada are actually robots, I'd believe you (no offense to Canada!)

I've learned that no matter what life throws at you, we are all stronger and more resilient than we think.

People will let you down and often it's the people closest to you who do it. Don't let them do it twice or more fool you.

It's the little things in life that are most important and laughter is the best medicine. Things like seeing a dog chasing his own tail or somebody falling over really make me laugh (sorry but it's true once they don't hurt themselves!).

There are some absolutely wonderful people on Boards and I feel lucky to have discovered this site.

Porklife wrote: »

It's the little things in life that are most important and laughter is the best medicine. Things like seeing a dog chasing his own tail or somebody falling over really make me laugh (sorry but it's true once they don't hurt themselves!).

People falling over is the very pinnacle of comedy. I will not be swayed on that!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Porklife wrote: »
    I learned that John Lennon was right when he said life is what happens when you're making other plans. Nothing surprises me anymore. If you told me its recently been discovered that people from Canada are actually robots, I'd believe you (no offense to Canada!)

I've learned that no matter what life throws at you, we are all stronger and more resilient than we think.

People will let you down and often it's the people closest to you who do it. Don't let them do it twice or more fool you.

There are some absolutely wonderful people on Boards and I feel lucky to have discovered this site.

My dog falling off the bed trying to make himself comfortable whilst I was working has been my highlight!

I’m not sure that I’ve had any great insights about who I am as a person this year. It has confirmed for me that working from home on a full time basis doesn’t suit me at all, I don’t think I realised how important my daily commute was in terms of creating much needed distance between my working and home life, I definitely need that time to transition from one mode to another. Now work has invaded my home on a permanent basis and I’m not sure I like it.

On a personal level my health hasn’t been great, nothing serious but not feeling as good as I should and not something I can get to the bottom of. That coupled with a decision around a life changing event or indeed indecision has made the last couple of months quite unsettling. I would love to be one of those people who have learnt a new hobby or have used the downtime in a productive way but it just hasn’t happened. I think at the end of this year we should commend ourselves on our endurance and the fact we have made it through such a difficult time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I've learned that it is massively foolish and irresponsible to let government make important decisions on your behalf.

Total self sufficiency is now my goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Downside. That I won't see my son it in person because he lives in germany.
    Upside. The restrictions have put me back in touch with my community, who people who although only live around the corner, I haven't actually spoken to the in years.
    Also to understand the true meaning off the word friends, and how friends help each other overcome the difficulties this year has brought.
    Oh and holidaying at home wasn't has bad as I thought, had a brilliant time cruising on the shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Time keeps on slipping into the future. Time has probably been the standout theme of Covid. Something about the transition from spring to summer to winter and just how quickly everything changed, but yet, at the same time nothing has. This time last year, my life; life in general was so different that it almost seems to have been resigned to the history book. It doesn't even feel part of my lived experience. Like I shed skin around February and the person who came out the other side isn't the same person.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No matter how difficult things are right now, they can always get worse.

But they will also get better, eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

I’ve learned that even though we’ve lost the we’re all in this togetheredness recently, we will make it through this. You are strong. You are worth it.

I found WFH very difficult with my DH and our kids at home full time. I never realised how EXHAUSTING looking after kids or tidying up the house are (like most working couples we hire a cleaner. I tried to hire a man for it but apparently no man would reduce himself to clean for a living).

The are only so many times you can bring the kids out and around the paddock so I usually just let the kids use iPads in the evening. Obviously I have faith in the government but on the other hand if there’s another full lockdown I WILL be going into full Mama bear mode and letting Leo know!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

smck321 wrote: »
    You are influenced by those who surround you more than you think.

Started the year living in a cheap dingy apartment in the centre of town surrounded by people throwing parties during lockdown and in one case sh*tin in the hall.

Moved to a house since surrounded by people with 9 to 5 jobs, it might cost more but it is an expense that is worth it.

so when you moved in with those people who do a days work , did you stop sh1tting in the hall ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I found WFH very difficult with my DH and our kids at home full time. I never realised how EXHAUSTING looking after kids or tidying up the house are (like most working couples we hire a cleaner. I tried to hire a man for it but apparently no man would reduce himself to clean for a living).

I've learned we're not like most working couples!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I learned that I can pay tax all my life then suddenly sit around in my stained underwear eating cream cakes and playing gta online and the government will give me some of my tax back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I went to sleep on a Friday night,
    Saturday came at the speed of light.

Advertisement