Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie van Halen dead

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Damn you 2020...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I remember seeing the video for 'jump' on MT-USA way back in the mid 80's. My sister used to record the best songs onto vhs and we'd play them back at our leisure. Van Halen were like nothing we'd seen or heard before - and pretty much encapsulated our notion of what living in a place like California would be like.

Rest in peace, EVH.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Never got into them really, but there was no denying that Eddie could guitar real good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Sad news. He really was a proper guitar hero and a game changer :-(

Rip EvH

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

1984 what an album

Absolutely.
    Although the album cover had a child angel smoking on the cover and Eddie died from throat
    cancer so there's a certain prophecy there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Was lucky to see Van Halen on their only British date during an American tour, subbing AC/DC at Castle Donnington 1984, twas some gig. RIP Eddie.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Another +1 for the Donnington gig, despite missing the last train from Derby and sleeping in a photo booth overnight, fun times. RIP EVH

• Registered Users Posts: 13,642 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Van Halen was the king of harmonics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

The greatest rock guitarist of all time, an innovator, a pioneer of his craft.

He was a massive influence on me as a guitarist.

Rest easy Ed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

R.I.P.
    Sad news.
    He had that rare mix of feeling and technical virtuosity.
    A huge influence on guitar that is still heard in music today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

Very sad to hear a legend has passed. Also Johnny Nash has died.2020 has bit pure ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

couldnt name a single song by Van Halen bar " jump " which is garbage , one of those bands ( like KISS ) which were huge in america but not really outside it

guitar solo is cool in " beat it " though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    couldnt name a single song by Van Halen bar " jump " which is garbage , one of those bands ( like KISS ) which were huge in america but not really outside it

Not really. They've sold well over 70 million albums worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭mehico

RIP Eddie. He looked to always have enjoyed just playing his guitar and made it look effortless and he always seemed so laid back.

His guitar riffs from Ain't Talkin' Bout Love have been in my head all day and to me it seems so modern, but the actual song is over 40 years old!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Always loved Van Halen, in the late 80s early 90s I drank a lot in a classic rock bar in Dublin Bruxelles, I played Van Halen every day on the jukebox nobody else seemed to ever play them but me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Blasphemy!

Educate yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

Did Van Halen ever play in Ireland, or was the UK the closest he got? I can't find any info about Irish gigs online

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Maybe you’re just a ****ing idiot? It’s entirely possible.

RIP Eddie.

Advertisement