Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest Indoor Smart Camera - €97.91

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Can these be easily hacked?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Hey Folks,

This normally retails for about €130 making this the best price I've ever seen it:

https://store.google.com/product/nest_cam

They've knocked 30 Euro off the outdoor one too, I'm somewhat tempted! https://store.google.com/product/nest_cam_outdoor

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I imagine that they are more difficult than your run of the mill IP camera but anything that opens up to the internet and streams content is always going to be hackable.

DeadSkin wrote: »
    They've knocked 30 Euro off the outdoor one too, I'm somewhat tempted! https://store.google.com/product/nest_cam_outdoor

The outdoor has been sub €199 for a while, though not usually through their site. If you've been on the fence and you can provide good Wi-Fi to the location it'll be installed, then go for it. Mine are brilliant, though I was very frustrated as Wi-Fi coverage had been patchy even with a mesh system. A few months ago I replaced the mesh system that was there with Google Wi-Fi and the connection has been brillant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

No, they are as secure as an online cam can be.

As usual, enable two factor authentication and don't use your Google password on other (weaker) systems and there will be no issue.

• Advertisement

Outdoor cam was £139 on Amazon UK the other day and £129 back in September. Even at current price of £144 it's cheaper than Google direct.

So, keep an eye on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 GeneralDisorder

Randomly saw this offer on the website too for Bose QC IIs when looking at the Nset Cams if anyone is the Market for a new phone:
    [HTML]https://support.google.com/product-documentation/answer/10070211?p=bose_promotion&visit_id=637375935715598686-1971245103&rd=1[/HTML]

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭fulhamfan

Have had the Nest outdoor camera for past three years. Two detectives called recently to ask if they could look at the history as they wanted to see if someone had entered the estate, some 8 houses away from a week ago. Found what they were looking for and were as excited as anything. Both left saying they would buy for their own homes as quality was way superior to many business premises. HOWEVER bear in mind you need to pay for Nest Aware which is about 60 a year as without it, the camera is of little use unless you are sitting looking at it as it stores practically nothing. If that puts you off, better going for an option that has no charge but from experience, it won't be as good or as safe in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

fulhamfan wrote: »
    Have had the Nest outdoor camera for past three years. Two detectives called recently to ask if they could look at the history as they wanted to see if someone had entered the estate, some 8 houses away from a week ago. Found what they were looking for and were as excited as anything. Both left saying they would buy for their own homes as quality was way superior to many business premises. HOWEVER bear in mind you need to pay for Nest Aware which is about 60 a year as without it, the camera is of little use unless you are sitting looking at it as it stores practically nothing. If that puts you off, better going for an option that has no charge but from experience, it won't be as good or as safe in my experience.

This is why i'm not a fan of their cams - you've basically doubled the cost of the cam over those 3 years and as soon as you stop paying its useless like youve pointed out. I have a Nest doorbell that i think i will get rid of soon.

A good alternative would be Eufy cams - they record either locally (on the device) or back to a hub.

They are all have their pros and cons. For me when I bought mine they were the only camera at the time that offered continuous video recording. Everything else only recorded 'events'. The app is also probably the best I've seen. It's incredibly slick and it's so easy to find what you're looking for. Lastly, at the time they were also the only camera's that integrated with the Google ecosystem and that was/is great as I have a Nest Hub Max beside me in the evening and I can quickly pull up the outside/indoor cameras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

Linoge wrote: »
    This is why i'm not a fan of their cams - you've basically doubled the cost of the cam over those 3 years and as soon as you stop paying its useless like youve pointed out. I have a Nest doorbell that i think i will get rid of soon.

A good alternative would be Eufy cams - they record either locally (on the device) or back to a hub.

20% off this one at the moment.

https://www.eufylife.com/uk/products/variant/eufycam-2c-2cam-kit/T88313D2

However they don't ship to Ireland, so I used AddressPal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Yellow Dog wrote: »
    20% off this one at the moment.

https://www.eufylife.com/uk/products/variant/eufycam-2c-2cam-kit/T88313D2

However they don't ship to Ireland, so I used AddressPal.

Have you used them yet or only just ordered?

I watched a review on them but not sure if the quality is going to be good enough. I was to use one at the front of the house and one at the side / back.

The one at the front would be mounted about 10-12ft high so I'm not sure how clear the video would be if the person was a further 10-15 feet away from the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

You have pay a subscription for this cam after the initial €97?

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    You have pay a subscription for this cam after the initial €97?

The Nest app is free but isnt much use without a subscription. For €50 or €60 a year you get the full use of the app, 24/7 recording to the cloud and you can add all your Nest cameras to it for that.

The app is also great to have and is very user friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

Linoge wrote: »

cloneslad wrote: »
    Have you used them yet or only just ordered?

I watched a review on them but not sure if the quality is going to be good enough. I was to use one at the front of the house and one at the side / back.

The one at the front would be mounted about 10-12ft high so I'm not sure how clear the video would be if the person was a further 10-15 feet away from the house.

Just ordered.
    I ordered from Amazon in the end as I had a voucher. They also have the 20% off.
    Again, I had to use AddressPal. The reviews on Amazon are fairly positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

It's cheaper on amazon.co.uk

Yellow Dog wrote: »
    Just ordered.
    I ordered from Amazon in the end as I had a voucher. They also have the 20% off.
    Again, I had to use AddressPal. The reviews on Amazon are fairly positive.

Ordered then myself, cheers for the heads up. Not having to deal with wires sold it for me. If the image isn't good enough I'll send them back - the benefit of buying online.

I'm using Parcel Motel the are due with Parcel Motel in Thursday so should have them for next weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

First of all - Thanks OP for posting this to help and advise others.

I cannot get my head around the logic used to design the wiring for this camera???

Its an outdoor WIFI camera so 99.99% of people want to drill a small hole through an external wall and simply supply mains power to this.

So it ships with both a massive moulded plug and an intermediary power connector type arrangement, again with a massive plastic base plate - Neither of these is going to fit through a normal diameter hole drilled for a cable???

I think it makes more sense to simply buy a wired IP cam and power it via POE over CAT6 - One slim cable with no massive plastic obstacles attached, no WIFI coverage issues and a whole lot cheaper.

These cameras a seriously overpriced for what they are IMO.

Correct, the best solution for the Nest Cam Outdoor (which not the one OP listed by the way) is to plug them into an external socket rather than routing power out to them. You may also be left with a length of cable that needs to be hidden somehow, less than ideal.

I believe the "IQ" camera has more flexible install options, but that is crazy money (€380).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

How do these compare to the Blink cams?

• Advertisement

Mango Joe wrote: »
    First of all - Thanks OP for posting this to help and advise others.

I cannot get my head around the logic used to design the wiring for this camera???

Its an outdoor WIFI camera so 99.99% of people want to drill a small hole through an external wall and simply supply mains power to this.

So it ships with both a massive moulded plug and an intermediary power connector type arrangement, again with a massive plastic base plate - Neither of these is going to fit through a normal diameter hole drilled for a cable???

I think it makes more sense to simply buy a wired IP cam and power it via POE over CAT6 - One slim cable with no massive plastic obstacles attached, no WIFI coverage issues and a whole lot cheaper.

These cameras a seriously overpriced for what they are IMO.

In my case power was taken from upstairs, run into the attic and brought to the soffits. So the power cable neatly goes up into the soffit and out of sight. I certainly wouldn't be drilling a hole in the wall or exposing the power cable down the length of the wall.

bladespin wrote: »
    How do these compare to the Blink cams?

Very different, Blink cameras run on batteries only - so they will only record events. Blink are also pushing users to a subscription model, although their new cameras will allow you to record to a local USB drive. They are a lot easier to install as no power is required, and they are cheaper.

Nest outdoor cameras are harder to install due to their power requirements, but they do record 24/7 (with a subscription) and generate good alerts (person spotted etc) and integrate easily with other Google/Nest products like the doorbell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

In my case power was taken from upstairs, run into the attic and brought to the soffits. So the power cable neatly goes up into the soffit and out of sight. I certainly wouldn't be drilling a hole in the wall or exposing the power cable down the length of the wall.

Ha? My camera install location on the wall isn't anywhere near the roofline or soffits?

I'm not sure why you "certainly wouldn't be drilling a hole in your wall" but I'm sure many people would like to have a nice clean installation with no exposed cable runs.

My point was that the cable design on this product is idiotic, it only makes sense if you're planning to route metres of cable externally across your house and into an external socket. Otherwise all of the unwieldy wide bits make this unnecessarily awkward to install properly.

Interestingly this feature makes it easier to steal the whole apparatus including cabling so they can sell it more easily - Now that bit is convenient; for the thief.

Interestingly this feature makes it easier to steal the whole apparatus including cabling so they can sell it more easily - Now that bit is convenient; for the thief.
    True, but you'd have great camera footage of them at it! :)

Ha? My camera install location on the wall isn't anywhere near the roofline or soffits?

I'm not sure why you "certainly wouldn't be drilling a hole in your wall" but I'm sure many people would like to have a nice clean installation with no exposed cable runs.

My point was that the cable design on this product is idiotic, it only makes sense if you're planning to route metres of cable externally across your house and into an external socket. Otherwise all of the unwieldy wide bits make this unnecessarily awkward to install properly.

I wasn't being 'smart' with you. I was highlighting that it would be a little excessive having to drill a hole through the wall and run the cable somewhere inside just to get a camera up and running. I most likely wouldn't have had them installed if that's what I was going to have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

cloneslad wrote: »
    24/7 recording to the cloud and you can add all your Nest cameras to it for that.

Can these be configured to only upload triggered events like motion detection etc? It seems to be (who's completely unaware of how they work granted), that uploading 24/7 to the cloud is an awful waste of bandwidth.

Inviere wrote: »
    Can these be configured to only upload triggered events like motion detection etc? It seems to be (who's completely unaware of how they work granted), that uploading 24/7 to the cloud is an awful waste of bandwidth.

They are on all the time. Other camera's will only upload triggered events but the Nest series use continuous video recording.

At highest settings, I find mine use around 150Gb/per month per camera (which is much less than they say it could use). If you are on a restricted upload limit, then this is still a factor to consider.

YouTube/Netflix/Disney+ will use a lot more data in a shorter period. For example a HD stream will use approx. 4Gb per hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭ted1

JDxtra wrote: »
    Correct, the best solution for the Nest Cam Outdoor (which not the one OP listed by the way) is to plug them into an external socket rather than routing power out to them. .

That’s big assumption and not one I’d agree with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭ted1

They are on all the time. Other camera's will only upload triggered events but the Nest series use continuous video recording.

But you can only go back 10 days which means if you go for a 2 week holiday. You’ll be missing 4 days when you get home.

Other cameras offer the same recording features

Advertisement