Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What aspects of life are you really missing because of Covid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Gigs

• Registered Users Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I just miss more generally the normality of before. The carefree easy going nature of life. Not having to be worried about bringing masks, socially distancing and the general spontaneity. What’s been disturbing to me is how willingly people give all that up

• Registered Users Posts: 84,840 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A decent sesh, pub crawl, gigs etc.,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Neither myself nor my parents have met my 16 month old nephew yet, the only grandchild in the fam, due to travel restrictions. Also my brother hasn't seen him since January.
    So that kind of sucks, for my mother really I feel bad for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Going out and meeting people and riding them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

As others have said, doing things spontaneously. That Goundhog day feeling. A random wander around the shops. Meeting friends for lunch or dinner. Not worrying that everyone you meet, walk past etc. could have Covid. The plans I'd made for this year as I'm on career break. The social interactions my little boy should be having. Lots more.

I miss my mother. I miss visiting her, I miss talking to her, I miss her smile.

Unfortunately, due to Covid, I will never see her again. For many of us who lost loved ones to this disease, the old normal will never return even when a vaccine is found, or restrictions are lifted, and day-to-day life resumes.

Respect the restrictions in place, wear a mask, wash your hands, maintain social distancing, even if you consider yourself to be healthy and minimally vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

As someone who's hard of hearing I miss conversation tbh, I avoid people now when we're all wearing masks because it's very hard to tell what people are saying when you can't see their lips.

It's really making me introverted to the extreme and I'd say some people are just finding me rude because I can't hear what they said.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Sport, spontaneous dinner, nights out.. trips to the cinema. And also of being told what I can and can't do... this is getting tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I miss the feeling of ease. The constant watching where you stand, how long you stand there for etc takes its toll.
    I'd love to be able to go out for a meal or just meet someone without analysing who touched the door knob last, when were the bathrooms last cleaned or will I stifle a sneeze for fear of dagger looks.
    I can't see myself going back to relaxing for a long time post covid where I could just walk in somewhere on spec without doing a mental recognises first.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

I mean, what hasn't been taken away from us?

Travel, the most important thing on my end, gone.

Cinemas, live events, most (all?) thing to do with art, gone.

In-door entertainment options, even simple things like game arcades, gone.

Restaurants, coffee shops - gone now with level 3 restrictions.

Meeting new people, or just participating in community groups, church services, gone.

Even/if eventually life returns, permanent damage has already been inflicted. And it's not solely Covid's fault, it's the government's decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Unfortunately, due to Covid, I will never see her again. For many of us who lost loved ones to this disease, the old normal will never return even when a vaccine is found, or restrictions are lifted, and day-to-day life resumes.

Respect the restrictions in place, wear a mask, wash your hands, maintain social distancing, even if you consider yourself to be healthy and minimally vulnerable.

Im sorry for your loss Loueze

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Etc

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Going out and meeting people and riding them.

Your first time will always be special. Hopefully it will happen for you. I'm sure it will be a surprise for these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭4Ad

Oh Loueze, that's so sad to read. Must be so hard for you..
    I'm so sorry for your loss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Not having to be so overly conscious of your behaviour while in public places, going to a big GAA intercounty championship match ( lucky to get to some club games), spontaneity as mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Not shooting the messenger or anything, but where is this nonsense coming from? There will be a heightened awareness of public health from now on, for sure, and I can see many continuing to prefer mask wearing in public. But in what way do these people feel that life won’t return to normal? Or that it isn’t transient? I’d be interested to see the link to the article if you have it.

The Spanish Flu, before this pandemic, was barely a footnote in most accounts of the last century because the world essentially returned to normal afterwards (having proportionally killed far more than COVID likely will). Ditto with every other pandemic, albeit with a greater knowledge of public health should something like it happen again. I know people can be conceited when they live in the moment, but in what way is this fatalistic rubbish justified?

I know media outlets have gotten a shot in the arm from this pandemic and are determined to propagate continued misery to increase traffic, but surely even the charlatans who come out with these sweeping statements must realise what this means. What is the point of solidarity, of collective measures, if there is no light at the end of the tunnel? Of course we’re far from going back to normal at the moment, but what’s the point of finger-wagging and lecturing the public about adhering measures if there is no end goal or no point to it?

Of course we will go back to normal at some stage. In the meantime people should continue to hunker down and adhere to restrictions, but only a nihilist or a ghoul would say it isn’t temporary.

But to answer your question, as someone who lives abroad (in Europe, so not too far away), it’s the ability to go home semi-regularly to see family and friends. The whole experience has made me very homesick at times, and zoom calls etc help but are no replacement.

The pre-pandemic normal is not likely to every return as after this crisis we will be rolling into the economic and climate crises.

If people think that these restrictions are bad, wait until the feel the pinch from the climate goals we've signed up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,375 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

The main thing worrying me isn’t holidays or pubs being open but the gym. I absolutely have to work out every day for at least an hour. If my gym closes again I can see my mental health going down the drain like it during lockdown.

It’s not even a case of “Shur buy some weights for home”... I do not have a place to put them, equipment to even come close to what I have in the gym would also cost thousands. Plus it’s the fact you leave the house, go to the gym, meet people, chat etc. It’s the experience and the actually going out and doing something productive factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Havnt got the shift since Christmas

In totaly unrelated other news I think Iv Carpal Tunnel in my wrist!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

Travel. Basically the one thing that made working in this soggy dump bearable was that generally our salaries are decent enough and flights available freely enough that we could escape it frequently.

I was in Berlin in late February, home only a week or so and boom, straight into lockdown. And looking around Europe it doesn't look like changing any time soon.

I've been over to the Netherlands and had no issue with travelling there and coming back to Ireland. Had no issue travelling around there either. The Dutch appeared to be getting on with their life's too. I'm going to Cologne soon enough too.
    Some of ye are actually waiting for the Gardaí to come to your doors and tell ye that ye can travel or visit relatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I've been over to the Netherlands and had no issue with travelling there and coming back to Ireland. Had no issue travelling around there either. The Dutch appeared to be getting on with their life's too. I'm going to Cologne soon enough too.
    Some of ye are actually waiting for the Gardaí to come to your doors and tell ye that ye can travel or visit relatives.

It's the 10 day isolation coming back that stops me going anywhere. I'd leave now if I didn't need to book another 2 weeks off work to do nothing at home.

I live with people too, so they wouldn't be on board with me jetting off and coming back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

The one thing i really looked forward to. Family in the USA. I go over every 6 months to see them. It’s now the longest i haven’t seen them in 15 years.

I’m now resigning to the fact i may never see them again. I just can’t see this virus subsiding.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,781 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Miss spontaneous things. Boredom isn’t now as easily killed. I miss...

Gigs & traveling most of all. They are my two great social loves.

I miss heading into the cafe bar at the IFI for some nice food and a film.

I miss spontaneous things.

I miss walking into a shopping center and not stopping to switch on my distancing radar for all the dumb fuçks crawling up your arse in a Q or sneezing walking about a foot passed you.

I miss the certainty we took for granted.

I miss being able to plan.. a cruise with girlfriend and parents was next

I miss at 6 pm, seeing an add online for a band I wanted to see that night, calling a friend, wolfing down food and hitting whelans

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭Polar101

Strumms wrote: »
    Miss spontaneous things. Boredom isn’t now as easily killed. I miss...

Gigs & traveling most of all. They are my two great social loves.

I miss heading into the cafe bar at the IFI for some nice food and a film.

Exactly the same, gigs & traveling would be the two things I enjoy the most. And I really miss the spontaneous things - it wouldn't have to be anything important, but it's just having the freedom of choice to do it. Sure, it's still possible to do many things, but a lot of it is missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I miss holidays abroad .
    I miss gigs especially those that we were meant to go see this summer and autumn.
    But most of all ..
    I miss my family and friends around the country who I have not seen since last Christmas .
    Most of us have either vulnerable family we are protecting or underlying conditions .
    Especially missed them when we had a lot of illness in my family from March to last month , me , my husband , one of my kids .
    Everything now is on the phone which is good to have but it doesn't replace a hug from somebody you love when times are tough .

Micky 32 wrote: »
    The one thing i really looked forward to. Family in the USA. I go over every 6 months to see them. It’s now the longest i haven’t seen them in 15 years.

I’m now resigning to the fact i may never see them again. I just can’t see this virus subsiding.

What timeframe are you talking about here? If you think this is going to last five or ten years, you need to read less about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I miss actually being able to fly back into Ireland.

We were back after Christmas for a family reunion. We were also looking at property to move back to Ireland. Our goal last year was to have something sorted by Summer 2021 (and then make the move in 2022).

We're a good bit behind at the moment.

I've cancelled several trips over so far. I can't see myself being able to fly into Ireland for quite some time. There's no way that I could realistically spend two weeks quarantining when I arrived.

It's a waiting game at this point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

The main thing worrying me isn’t holidays or pubs being open but the gym. I absolutely have to work out every day for at least an hour. If my gym closes again I can see my mental health going down the drain like it during lockdown.

It’s not even a case of “Shur buy some weights for home”... I do not have a place to put them, equipment to even come close to what I have in the gym would also cost thousands. Plus it’s the fact you leave the house, go to the gym, meet people, chat etc. It’s the experience and the actually going out and doing something productive factor.

You can train outdoors easy and for free or very cheap

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

you dont have to make excuses not to go to church

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

I miss actually being able to fly back into Ireland.

We were back after Christmas for a family reunion. We were also looking at property to move back to Ireland. Our goal last year was to have something sorted by Summer 2021 (and then make the move in 2022).

We're a good bit behind at the moment.

I've cancelled several trips over so far. I can't see myself being able to fly into Ireland for quite some time. There's no way that I could realistically spend two weeks quarantining when I arrived.

It's a waiting game at this point.

I wouldn't be worrying about property in Ireland at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,781 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

bigpink wrote: »
    I wouldn't be worrying about property in Ireland at the moment

Truth, when it come time to ‘pull the trigger’ it’s going to be costing a fraction of what it otherwise would have. One of the few ‘pluses’ from this situation.

Advertisement