Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 Bay Slatted Shed Grant Spec Cost

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,273 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Do a two stage shed. You could get the first half in for the Dec TANS if there is a TAMS in 2021 you could put on the second half of the shed.

Design it as an A roof shed. You will be build the first half as a lean two. Put the high side at the back of the slats and the roof will slant down over the feed passage. A 16'6'' slat with 20'' of toe space back and front and an 8' overhang on the feed passage is 160 meters square.

Then apply for planning for the lie back . You could have the lie back as deep as 28'. Even if you had to do this part without TAMS it would not break the bank. But you would have the shed you have want

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭kk.man

Do a two stage shed. You could get the first half in for the Dec TANS if there is a TAMS in 2021 you could put on the second half of the shed.

Design it as an A roof shed. You will be build the first half as a lean two. Put the high side at the back of the slats and the roof will slant down over the feed passage. A 16'6'' slat with 20'' of toe space back and front and an 8' overhang on the feed passage is 160 meters square.

Then apply for planning for the lie back . You could have the lie back as deep as 28'. Even if you had to do this part without TAMS it would not break the bank. But you would have the shed you have want

Bass what would a 3 span cost (2 with slats 10 space each and the 3rd just concrete for machinery etc). I won't be applying for the grant but I won't be cutting corners either. There be no need for a gable end at one end as it be horizontal to an existing round roof shed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭kk.man

Bass what would a 3 span cost (2 with slats 10 space each and the 3rd just concrete for machinery etc). I won't be applying for the grant but I won't be cutting corners either. There be no need for a gable end at one end as it be horizontal to an existing round roof shed?

kk.man wrote: »

Friend is doing a two bay slatted with a 10' lie back and two bay straw bedded for sucklers he putting in a crush . Off the top of my head he has it costed at 52K at TAM's spec. Less vat at 7k and grant at 17k gives him an end day cost at 28k. He do some of the work himself and hopes it will come on around 25K net. He has not really the tax to write off the 25k but he is happy enough at that.

Not sure how you calculate back from that. It very hard to calculate non grant work

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭farmer2018

Have found out now I will only get the 40% what are my opinions? Is it worth availing of the 40%?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Fine Day

farmer2018 wrote: »
    Have found out now I will only get the 40% what are my opinions? Is it worth availing of the 40%?

Yes I would say so. You will have a better shed at the end of the day.

Can someone please tell me what will a 70K shed cost me getting a 60% grant vs 40% grant? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭Grueller

Can someone please tell me what will a 70K shed cost me getting a 60% grant vs 40% grant? Thanks.

28k against 42k total cost to yourself.

Grueller wrote: »
    28k against 42k total cost to yourself.

I been told the shed will cost more than what the actual department costings are and that's the amount I will get for the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

I been told the shed will cost more than what the actual department costings are and that's the amount I will get for the grant.

Yes that is correct look at what you can afford build a flexible shed and work from there.
    A slatted shed is only dear the day the payments are due. Either build or get out slopping in the muck is a non runner in todays world.
    DM IF you want have built 2 units since 08 so if you need a word no problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Was over at a friends the other day that feeds a lot of bulls. He is nearly finished a tams shed. 4 bay 26’wide feeding out both sides. Lovely shed built very well. Galvanised steel structure split into 8 pens. Very well finished. Lovely airy shed.
    He thinks 65kplus the vat will finish it. He is getting a 60% grant on it. Department costings are 70k so his own labour will bring his costings up to 70k. 60% of that should give him back 42k. So The shed will cost him 23k out of his pocket. Serious value.
    If he was getting a 40% grant he would get 40% of the 70k back. This would still be great value.
    Looking at his shed a grant is definitely the way to go.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Was over at a friends the other day that feeds a lot of bulls. He is nearly finished a tams shed. 4 bay 26’wide feeding out both sides. Lovely shed built very well. Galvanised steel structure split into 8 pens. Very well finished. Lovely airy shed.
    He thinks 65kplus the vat will finish it. He is getting a 60% grant on it. Department costings are 70k so his own labour will bring his costings up to 70k. 60% of that should give him back 42k. So The shed will cost him 23k out of his pocket. Serious value.
    If he was getting a 40% grant he would get 40% of the 70k back. This would still be great value.
    Looking at his shed a grant is definitely the way to go.

Yes it is but still there is a big difference between the 60% and 40% approx 14k on 70k, could be make or break at the end of the day.

I presume the 70k is Inc vat.
    Vat will be about 8k.
    Grant at 60% is 37k
    Grant at 40% is 25k

Shed @60% costs 25k net

However you need to make sure that the total cost of 70k is allowed at department costings.

70k seems a lot at costings for a 4 bay Suckler unit even allowing for calving pens, a crush, lie back or creep area etc.
    Shed @40% costs 37k net

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Yes it is but still there is a big difference between the 60% and 40% approx 14k on 70k, could be make or break at the end of the day.

Going without a grant could would cost not much less imo. Maybe 10k less for a fairly well done non grant spec shed of the same size maybe.
    So it’ll cost 60k without a grant. Still better off with the grant.
    For a building that should last 50 plus years I wouldn’t worry too much about 14k. It’s tax deductible also so if you pay the higher rate of tax it’s really only 8k more expensive than getting the 60% grant.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Going without a grant could would cost not much less imo. Maybe 10k less for a fairly well done non grant spec shed of the same size maybe.
    So it’ll cost 60k without a grant. Still better off with the grant.
    For a building that should last 50 plus years I wouldn’t worry too much about 14k. It’s tax deductible also so if you pay the higher rate of tax it’s really only 8k more expensive than getting the 60% grant.

This is why lads putting in high fixed costs is not a reality even if you are depreciating or paying off a shed. Yes it a cost bits it's a 5-10 year cost on a 50 year plus investment. Any shed build to grant spec will have that life span longer if you make sure to get the actual physical tank and structural steel right. I galvanized the RSJ's. I definitely galvanize the upright RSJ's on any slatted unit whatever about the roof ones.

I build a shed and slab in 2008-2010. It cost about 120 k. The vat was 15 k the grant was 63k the shed cost 42k net. it was as depreciated at the high tax rate so cost about 25k net. That 50/ euro per year over 50 years.

It is a sour shed and I put in four straw beef and a crush. In 2014 I got fed up of buying straw and keeping them clean so I put a tank under three of of them it cost about 16 k net of vat no grant but a penning etc was Insitu so it was really digging out and putting in a tank and slats. However it was something I would not even consider looking for a grant for. Again it was depreciated against high rate of tax. So for sub 35k after tax I have housing for the equivalent of 100 stores with a crush under same roof along with a silage slab that is 20m X 12M. That about 700 we euro per year. At present I have 60 stores and 16 bullocks that did not finish off grass. If you put on the cost on the stores it a net cost of less than 12/ head per year. Even allowing for inflation and not allowing for tax on depreciation it about 25/ in that situation

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement