Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metrosexual Schoolboys

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

What is metrosexual? Makes me think of a train, which makes me think of activities done in the 70's/80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I was waiting on a cut a week ago, the barber whose services I normally avail of wasn’t around, it was only one barber a quite young girl, and the apprentice doing the sweeping / cleaning and till work....

There was one kid about 18/19 getting a cut ahead of me and his little metro muppet friend who despite not in the process of getting a cut, was sitting in the adjacent barbers chair, giving very rude directions to the barber. She was polite but ignoring him or trying. Lad getting the cut thinks its hilarious, keeps turning his head mid cut to acknowledge / nod / laugh at his ‘mate’ or whatever the fûck it was to him... barber pleading with them but they just keep pissing around
    ... pre covid I’d go to a barber in the city and that shît started the perpetrator would be made pick a window...

Wouldn’t mind they both walked out looking girly as hmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Is that the "Meet me in Mcdonalds" look: short back and sides with Sideshow Bob on the front? The shtate of them!

Women have clothes, make-up, bags, shoes, jewelry etc. Men have hair, and they might only have it for a decade. Let them do what they want with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

They are insecure.

That's all.

Its hard being a guy too you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

You are 38. So 20 years ago, in 2000 (when you were 18) did you give a **** what people were doing in 1980? How would you have reacted if a 38 year old came to you in 2000 and said your haircut was crap and back in 1980 we all had long hair and your short hair is a joke? You are now that 38 year old

Time moves on, culture changes, what is and isn't cool changes. I don't understand how shocked you are that the young people of today aren't following the norms of 20 years ago. I hate to be the one to break it to you op, bit you are not cool

The Simpsons said it better than I ever could:
    5eb016e17603744b618b003d3dc66a88.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

How come cartoon characters only ever have 3 or four fingers?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,905 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    How come cartoon characters only ever have 3 or four fingers?

Incoming blatant copy/paste

It turns out there’s not one concise answer, but a whole bunch of different factors that influenced the four-finger aesthetic. For one thing, it simply makes hands easier to draw. In the era of hand-drawn animation, having one less digit on every character in every cel could potentially save animators a ton of time, which, in turn, saved companies a ton of money. But there are other factors as well. A lot of early animation featured a rounded character design made up largely of circles (think Felix The Cat and Mickey Mouse). That didn’t leave a ton of room for rounded fingers on a rounded palm. As Walt Disney put it, “Using five fingers would have made Mickey’s hands look like a bunch of bananas.”

But there are even more factors at play too, like the fact that so many cartoon characters are animals, who we don’t necessarily associate with having five digits anyway. Plus four fingers strikes the perfect balance between a character looking alien, as they can with three fingers, and crossing over into the uncanny valley, as they can with five. The video also digs into the similarly complicated set of factors that influence why Japanese anime characters generally do feature hands with five fingers. That includes everything from superstition to Yakuza tradition. And ChannelFrederator explains how an ancient Japanese caste system still has a long-lasting impact on animation in Japan today, one that’s even caused Disney to pay retribution to lobbyist groups to avoid controversy over their four-fingered characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Sardonicat wrote: »
    What's wrong with socks, anyway? I remember when the greatest fashion faux pas a nab could make was to wear white socks. Are all socks shameful now?

Only allowed to wear socks of colour now.

I'm jealous about how self-indulgent and vain their generation socially sanctions itself to be. When I was their age it was very much not ok to be considered to be concerned about your appearance, even though I'm sure most were as concerned about theirs in private as I was about mine. Meanwhile my brother would cut my hair every 2 months and so I'd spend half the year looking totally awful, but I knew nothing else and anything better would have felt unacceptably preening.

Their fashions are way more aesthetic than those of the 2000s. And note that the fashions haven't changed in like seven years - they have refined what looks best and aren't willing to alter it. There are also fewer of them overweight than when I was their age, and the average height is much taller - due no doubt in part to junk food no longer being the pleasurable novelty to them as it was to teenagers who had been children in the 90s and higher protein diets in families with fewer children competing for more meat.

Another thing I'm jealous of is how open they allow each other to be about mental health stuff - that was total no-go stuff in the 2000s - it would have been nice back then to have felt it was ok to share stuff I had in my mind and Im sure there were plenty like me. I imagine with WhatsApp etc the kids of that age are much less left out or socially out of the loop and parents are much more hands-on that they were even 15 years ago, which could only be good for their confidence i would imagine. They seem much better behaved than when I was their age, much fewer actual scumbags and I wish them well as they definitely have their own different challenges to contend with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Sometimes I want to shout “can’t you see how fvckng ridiculous you look you idiot!?!”
    And then I imagine someone taking out a picture of me from when I was 15. Loafers with no socks. Print shirts. That bandana... Even my mate felt he needed to have a quiet word with me.

That shuts me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Boy could this be a long topic...

It's all relative. I was talking with a bull of a man one time about our dads, and he remarked how his dad would probably see him as "soft" if he were alive today. Next to that fella, I'd consider myself soft. I could (and probably will below) rattle off a few examples of behaviour that would have seemed outright homosexual when I was growing up, but attitudes and fashions change. I imagine there's a lot of pressure on young lads these days to be preening and primping, and as much as women can have problems with body image, I don't see it going a healthy direction.

On topic, I hate going to the barbers, and ****ers like that do annoy me. In and out with the minimum of chat should be the goal! I do try and put it off as much as possible, but I'd say 90% of the men I see at the barbers don't look like they need a haircut at all. It's not just the young fellas.

I suppose we should never shame someone for trying to look good. God help us - most of us Irish men need the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,860 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Panthro wrote: »
    Going to a barbers on a Friday?
    You're mental OP.

Monday evening is the only way.

They're all closed on Mondays.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I hate to be the one to break it to you op, bit you are not cool

I was never cool. And at 38, I certainly don't give a shít about being cool now! It's just a shock to see the institution that is the barber shop go from a short back and sides and a chat about the match to something akin to "a bit of me-time and pampering at a spa weekend"

Ain't no one got no time fo' dat, as a wise woman once said.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Ah everyone was vain when young. If your hair is not perfect or if you're not wearing trendy clothes blah blah.

One of the bonuses of getting old I guess that you don't give a boll*cks about that any more.
    It is probably worse today than previous generations with social media and internet.

It can be funny today tho as you can see guys who clearly spend an hour to get ready then acting all hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Omackeral wrote: »
    Only allowed to wear socks of colour now.

I love wearing different colored socks, Black is an overrated color.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

Most towns have an old lad with more hair coming out their ears than they have on the top of their head and nostril hair long enough to be platted while going around giving off to young lads about their appearance. Not to mention the unibrow.

OP have you fully turned into one yet or just getting their?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,495 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Strumms wrote: »
    I was waiting on a cut a week ago, the barber whose services I normally avail of wasn’t around, it was only one barber a quite young girl, and the apprentice doing the sweeping / cleaning and till work....

There was one kid about 18/19 getting a cut ahead of me and his little metro muppet friend who despite not in the process of getting a cut, was sitting in the adjacent barbers chair, giving very rude directions to the barber. She was polite but ignoring him or trying. Lad getting the cut thinks its hilarious, keeps turning his head mid cut to acknowledge / nod / laugh at his ‘mate’ or whatever the fûck it was to him... barber pleading with them but they just keep pissing around
    ... pre covid I’d go to a barber in the city and that shît started the perpetrator would be made pick a window...

Wouldn’t mind they both walked out looking girly as hmmmm.

Thats why I could never work as a barber or in retail, I'd have no patience dealing with cheeky little tossers like those two.

Advertisement