Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metrosexual Schoolboys

Options
  • 02-10-2020 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Had the afternoon free and decided I might get a quick trim at the barbers since it's a good 2 months or more since I've been. Bad idea.

There seemed to be what can only be described as a shambling zombie horde of already perfectly coiffed schoolboys making their way toward any and all available barbers. My usual place was a sea of wine jumpers and matching ties, so I hotfooted it over to another barbers, where two young lads were in the chair.

To my untrained eye, they looked like they were about finished because neither of them had much hair left apart from the 'teenager standard issue' mop on top which almost meets the eyebrows, the rest a No1 all around. Great, I think. I'll be in here in a moment or two.

15 minutes later and both of them are still in the chairs. To say the women cutting their hair were being meticulous would be an understatement. You wouldn't see a surgeon being more careful with a scalpel. I observed her with both hands on the clippers, nipping and chipping at this 14 year old's head like she was about to be judged in a hairdressing competition. I'd say in the time I was there, she relieved him of an egg cups full of gruaig.
    There was another two of these kids waiting ahead of me, with obviously no hair growth to speak of since their previous visit, probably last Tuesday afternoon, so I went on my way with an audible huff which I'm sure was noted and many shíts were given about.

Ok, admittedly I'm an old hasbeen of 38 but what has the world come to when young lads A) appear to visit the salon more than their mothers and B) take longer than their mother's when in the chair. Have they withdrawal symptoms after the lockdown? Getting in as many as they can before they once again have to........let it grow a small bit! :eek:

It's a bloody disgrace Joe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,845 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There are two sorts of time, normal time and slow time which you get when you are waiting for something. Also shambling zombie horde is probably not the only way you could have described those fellow humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,682 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I see them . Getting fades or something, getting a commentary from their pals about what they should get etc. A long long way from what I was at that age !

cj maxx wrote: »
    I see them . Getting fades or something, getting a commentary from their pals about what they should get etc. A long long way from what I was at that age !

I go when me hair look sh1te and there are these lads in the waiting areas with hair shorter than mine when I go out the door after my hair cut.

I wouldn't mind but they all get the same stupid half a hair cut. I mean if you are going 4 time as often as you need to the least you could do is get a full haircut.

Too much money, the feckers. In my day....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Definitely a bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Had the afternoon free and decided I might get a quick trim at the barbers since it's a good 2 months or more since I've been. Bad idea.

There seemed to be what can only be described as a shambling zombie horde of already perfectly coiffed schoolboys making their way toward any and all available barbers. My usual place was a sea of wine jumpers and matching ties, so I hotfooted it over to another barbers, where two young lads were in the chair.

To my untrained eye, they looked like they were about finished because neither of them had much hair left apart from the 'teenager standard issue' mop on top which almost meets the eyebrows, the rest a No1 all around. Great, I think. I'll be in here in a moment or two.

15 minutes later and both of them are still in the chairs. To say the women cutting their hair were being meticulous would be an understatement. You wouldn't see a surgeon being more careful with a scalpel. I observed her with both hands on the clippers, nipping and chipping at this 14 year old's head like she was about to be judged in a hairdressing competition. I'd say in the time I was there, she relieved him of an egg cups full of gruaig.
    There was another two of these kids waiting ahead of me, with obviously no hair growth to speak of since their previous visit, probably last Tuesday afternoon, so I went on my way with an audible huff which I'm sure was noted and many shíts were given about.

Ok, admittedly I'm an old hasbeen of 38 but what has the world come to when young lads A) appear to visit the salon more than their mothers and B) take longer than their mother's when in the chair. Have they withdrawal symptoms after the lockdown? Getting in as many as they can before they once again have to........let it grow a small bit! :eek:

Social media. It's no coincidence we have a massive surge in steroids and teens waxing their arse and the rise of social media. 18 year olds walking around shirtless showing off the muscles in 10 degree weather. 1000% rise in steroids confiscated in the last few years by customs.

• Advertisement

It's an outrage.. what's the story with them not wearing feckin socks too?..

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Men and lads are allowed to look good too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

It's a sick world we have created. Everyone must strive to look perfect at all times, the caricature of the perfect life must be posted on Instagram/TikTok, one can be seen to look like a Ponce but never a povvo. These are the new rules and frankly, you can stick em up her hole.

Also went to the barber yesterday, Turkish lads around the corner. In and out in 15 mins and they did a grand job altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

_Godot_ wrote: »

'Good' is a relative term.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

2 on the back and sides, 4 on top. In and out in less than 10 minutes, job done

• Advertisement

Cold ears and cold feet, are they made of tougher stuff than previous generations?

OP, if you were the same age you now you would either be doing exactly the same thing or growing your hair down to your arse as an anti-fashion statement. And do it has always been and ever shall be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭tastyt

Best thing that happened me in lockdown is buying an electric razor.

All that ****e in the barber pissed me off too, now I know il never go back

Blade 1 all round , 5 min job and your done. Looks better too as I was losing it a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Going to a barbers on a Friday?
    You're mental OP.

Monday evening is the only way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

They are wearing no show socks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Go way ye pansy :)

They are wearing no show socks.

The point of which is to make it apoear they aren't wearing socks. What's wrong with socks, anyway? I remember when the greatest fashion faux pas a nab could make was to wear white socks. Are all socks shameful now? Give me a hairy bloke in boots, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Sardonicat wrote: »
    The point of which is to make it apoear they aren't wearing socks. What's wrong with socks, anyway? I remember when the greatest fashion faux pas a nab could make was to wear white socks. Are all socks shameful now? Give me a hairy bloke in boots, please.

It's because of the cuffed jean or trouser which creates a cleaner look. Not a fan of it myself but can understand why it's a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,615 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I lost all respect for the OP when he walked out of the place leaving anyone left alive.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

The fades thing is really annoying. Takes longer than a perm.

It's because of the cuffed jean or trouser which creates a cleaner look. Not a fan of it myself but can understand why it's a thing.

Those cuffed trackies look like baby clothes.

• Advertisement

The fades thing is really annoying. Takes longer than a perm.

Are you speaking from experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

We used to be able to batter these people when I was in school.

Now everyone is in touch with their feelings and sh1t.

Disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,433 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'd have thought the queue wouldn't be that bad these days in barbers, around here its appointment only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

Its all a reflection of increased vanity and narcissm in society and the more suggestable teens going with the flow. I would say any teen that gets his haircut quaterly and doesn't buy into any metrosexual behaviour probably very popular

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I'd have thought the queue wouldn't be that bad these days in barbers, around here its appointment only.

See. Blokes making an appointment for the hairdresser and buying make up and grooming products.

Get a crew cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,433 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

See. Blokes making an appointment for the hairdresser and buying make up and grooming products.

Get a crew cut.

No its because they have to social distance.

Never go to a barber myself but a few people have told me thats the way its done since they re opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

They are. But lets face it this is really once again capitalism gone mad trying to make money off selling men the idea of what perfect male bodies are. The ensuing result will include eating disorders, mental health issues etc

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Social media. It's no coincidence we have a massive surge in steroids and teens waxing their arse and the rise of social media. 18 year olds walking around shirtless showing off the muscles in 10 degree weather. 1000% rise in steroids confiscated in the last few years by customs.

To be fair 10 degree weather is fairly tepid, but I agree with everything else.
    Social media, especially the likes of Instagram -best side out only muck- or tiktok where your pics and content can be viewed and critiqued/ criticised at any time create expectant levels of accepted esthetic standards which put huge pressure on their generation to conform or lose out. It's only going to get worse.
    So get yourself a Philips series 5000 to avoid those queues ;) .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

My sisters son is 14 and autistic. He wanted to fit in so requested those skinny jeans. After a week he wasn't wearing them anymore. His mother asked why. His response: "They squash my balls. How does anyone with balls wear them?". My thoughts exactly!

I used to be a once every 3 months visitor to the barber, then started shaving my own head. Only went back in the last few years because beard. But now I'm not going again because I don't want someone who touches other peoples heads all day to be touching my face/beard.

The best we got as kids/teens was a bowla. And we had no choice in the matter.

Also, €15 to shave my head?! Feck right off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Did you go to a barbers, or a salon?

Wouldn’t be unusual seeing metrosexuals in a salon alright, but wouldn’t find too many of ‘em in a barbers.

‘‘Twas explained to me by a barber once, a girl as it happens, that there’s a few differences between barbers and salons or stylists. I can’t remember any of ‘em but apparently salons are geared more towards styling and colouring, barbers are more geared towards cutting hair.

I made the mistake too of going to a stylists or a salon once, it was like she was almost afraid to cut my hair at all and was styling it all sorts of ways and asking me do I like it this way, that or the other... eventually I had to ask her could I just leave because it wasn’t what I wanted at all :o

Advertisement