Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the possibility of a God not a scary thought...?

Options

Comments

mrcheez wrote: »
    https://www.vpr.org/sites/vpr/files/201910/unicorn-istock-MadKruben.png

There is too much evidence to deny their existence, even atheists know this.

"If unicorns aren't real, how do we know what they look like?"

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

It's more than just a book. God plainly wrote his words to us through the holy spirit and it is up to us to seek out God. Yes the deck is stacked against humanity, the bible says the path to hell is wide and not everyone will accept the truth. Finding yourself in hell after being deceived by the world is cruel but there really should be no excuse. Jesus spoke more about hell than heaven and everyone that has heard of the gospel should know what awaits.

God says a lot of things in the bible
    "their little ones will be dashed to the ground, their pregnant women ripped open."

Then there's the whole thing about different cloths and seafood. Or are you one of those who chooses what parts of your gods words to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

I wrote a response to the OP before reading the rest of the thread. That was a mistake, can't see much worthwhile discussion taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,044 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It's more than just a book. God plainly wrote his words to us through the holy spirit and it is up to us to seek out God. Yes the deck is stacked against humanity, the bible says the path to hell is wide and not everyone will accept the truth. Finding yourself in hell after being deceived by the world is cruel but there really should be no excuse. Jesus spoke more about hell than heaven and everyone that has heard of the gospel should know what awaits.

I disagree. The Bible is anythign but "plainly written".

Personally, I consider this to be a good thing. It was written with the intent that different people will have different interpretations and we are to debate and discuss said interpretations. I don't think the intention was ever to kill over it, obviously, but that was man's decision, not God's.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

God is more powerful. We have free will to choose, we are either with Jesus or with the Devil. There are 100 million Bible's sold every year, nobody should be without excuse when their time comes. The devil tempts and it is up to us to choose, just like one third of the angels chose the devil before they were all cast out of heaven forever. There is too much evidence for Jesus Christ to deny him, even today people cast out demons in his name and he gives a new heart to the lost and those living in ungodly ways that repent and accept him as their saviour.

Some interesting documentaries on YouTube about the origins of the bible.

In summary, the bible is pretty far from being some divine text. It was clobbered together by Christian scholars in the 5th century AD.

And the editorial process ....as you can imagine.... was heavily influenced by the ideas and thinking of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Just to save people some time, some quick research told me that this user believes in chemtrails, that climate change is an "agenda", that that the God particle has something to do with God, that COVID was invented in a lab, that Trump has handled COVID better than Europe and, eh, whatever this nonsense is.

Who knows what else I could find after another five minutes. Probably not worth talking any sense to this user and better to focus on OP's questions instead. :)

Wow, that is a whole pile of crazy right there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I merely attacked a post in which someone claimed humans have been forever cursed because they rebelled against god, do you not see how sadistic that sounds?

Humanity forever punished because of what others from a previous time have supposedly done...for instance why should I be cursed? as I said I don't ever remember rebelling against God and proclaiming my love for Satan.

You have to ask what kind of a god would do that or set these types of rules and punishments, it's akin to the three generations of punishment rule in North Korea, totally immoral.

Mod: Fair enough and apologies, I jumped the gun here and got it wrong. Card will be reversed. Mea Culpa.

All: I've created a new sticky here for forum feedback. Any comments on moderation and what should and should not be acceptable in this forum must be posted there and not in-thread. Thanks for your attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

I think more scary is the reality that there is no sky man there who has your back. Certainly Christian “god” gets a free card due to free will or some such bull. When you see people going through awful suffering or awful situations, you quickly come to realise that there is no God. The strength and ability to get through awful things that happens to us are within ourselves, or not. Belief in some sort of God may give comfort to some people, that they can foist their worries upwards. Personally, I’ve always had to get through and solve my own problems. The possibility of a God is not scary, life is far more scary and real.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

Just to save people some time, some quick research told me that this user believes in chemtrails, that climate change is an "agenda", that that the God particle has something to do with God, that COVID was invented in a lab, that Trump has handled COVID better than Europe and, eh, whatever this nonsense is.

Who knows what else I could find after another five minutes. Probably not worth talking any sense to this user and better to focus on OP's questions instead. :)

This goes alot deeper than you think. You were born into this world, most likely went through a structured education system based on note taking with no exposure to how the world is run, exposed to a mass produced media every day that's controlled by a few, watched countless films and programs that mocked God's existence and listened to countless songs that has distorted the truth.

Your so deep in this world that the possibility you have been programmed since birth to turn from God is a whole pile of crazy to you.

Do I believe climate change has an agenda to take wealth from the bottom to the top, yes. Do I believe those controlling the world are trying to make us sick, yes. Do I believe HCQ is effective against Covid and the mass produced media discredited it, yes. Is this world controlled by a few that worship Lucifer, most definitely. To you this is nonsense, but again this goes much deeper than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Morgans

If there was a god, and I don't think there is, it would be scarier, as the job of work to organise a resistance to the cause of injustice in the world, just got infinitely more difficult.

Why a God who could solve the world's injustices but chooses not to is an old argument as to why he doesn't exist, not nearly as great as is supporters believe and not worthy or worship.

• Advertisement

mrcheez wrote: »
    Yes but have YOU seen an atom with your naked eye?

Just as there is pictorial evidence of atoms there is similar for unicorns.

https://www.vpr.org/sites/vpr/files/201910/unicorn-istock-MadKruben.png

There is too much evidence to deny their existence, even atheists know this.

It's interesting we have the mockers in this thread trying their best to make a joke of all that we have been warned about. Christianity is the one religion that causes the most hostility among fervent atheists. Currently in America we see churchs been burned down by the Black Lives Matter movement that are following the Devil, Bible's burned in the street, worshippers attacked by mobs as they go to church to pray.

All around the world Christians are being persecuted, and we are starting to see glimpses of it in a big western Christian nation now. Jesus always said he would return. In those last days there will have been a falling away from the church, people proud of their sin, wars and rumers of wars, earthquakes and the world in turmoil. These are called birth pains. We are in that final season now. It's up to you to follow the mockers that are trusting the world or to trust the bible which is God's word. One leads to hell and the other to salvation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Sin entered this world because mankind rebelled against God and believed the lies of the devil. It is an ongoing battle to this day. You can choose to follow this broken and corrupted world that's being controlled by the devil or you can choose to trust the bible and accept what Jesus did for you.

What about people who were raised with no religious beliefs or people who are Buddhists? Are those people, through no fault of their own, condemned to eternal hell because they dont accept or even recognise Jesus Christ? Thats a bit warped.

Mod: Just a quick reminder to all to show a little courtesy and respect for the beliefs of others here. I consider comparison of belief in God to belief in unicorns, referring to God as a skyman, etc... to be in direct breach of the forum charter as shown below.

Likewise, I consider sweeping generalizations about all atheists believing in God disrespectful of the stated beliefs of others and bordering on trolling.

Have the discussion, which can include questions critical of beliefs, but please make an effort to be kind and thoughtful of other posters while you do so. Any questions or comments on this to the feedback thread please.

Posts that fail to add anything to the discussion while in breach of the charter will be deleted and infracted. Thanks for your attention.

1. The purpose of this forum is to discuss Christian belief in general, and specific elements of it, between Christians and non-Christians alike. This forum has the additional purpose of being a point on Boards.ie where Christians may ask other Christians questions about their shared faith. In this regard, Christians should not have to defend their faith from overt or subtle attack.

bcklschaps wrote: »
    Some interesting documentaries on YouTube about the origins of the bible.

In summary, the bible is pretty far from being some divine text. It was clobbered together by Christian scholars in the 5th century AD.

And the editorial process ....as you can imagine.... was heavily influenced by the ideas and thinking of the time.

Bart Ehrman's Lost Christianities makes for some good reading on this topic for those looking for a bit more depth.

What about people who were raised with no religious beliefs or people who are Buddhists? Are those people, through no fault of their own, condemned to eternal hell because they dont accept or even recognise Jesus Christ? Thats a bit warped.

I'd argue it's the concept of Jesus rather than the man itself he refers to.

If the God depicted in Christian beliefs was the leader of a country on Earth, it would be a brutal dictatorship where minorities were sent to internment camps.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,666 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    If the God depicted in Christian beliefs was the leader of a country on Earth, it would be a brutal dictatorship where minorities were sent to internment camps.

And the inner worship circle are given jobs and lifestyles to match.

Venezuela perhaps ?

This goes alot deeper than you think. You were born into this world, most likely went through a structured education system based on note taking with no exposure to how the world is run, exposed to a mass produced media every day that's controlled by a few, watched countless films and programs that mocked God's existence and listened to countless songs that has distorted the truth.

I'm gonna guess that this is exactly why you are Christian. You were born into a Christian society, raised by a Christian family, baptised and indoctrinated into Christianity before you even knew what the word religion meant, and have since suffered from a bad case of confirmation bias and have not tried to consider that what you learned growing up might be wrong. You certainly didn't take a more sensible approach of sitting down for a week or two when you were 18, having a read of the Bible, the Koran, the Tipitaka etc. and deciding which one makes the most sense to you. The only reason you personally believe what you believe is because it's the religion you know the most about, no other reason.
    Do I believe climate change has an agenda to take wealth from the bottom to the top, yes. Do I believe those controlling the world are trying to make us sick, yes. Do I believe HCQ is effective against Covid and the mass produced media discredited it, yes. Is this world controlled by a few that worship Lucifer, most definitely. To you this is nonsense, but again this goes much deeper than you think.

Please seek help.

It's interesting we have the mockers in this thread trying their best to make a joke of all that we have been warned about. Christianity is the one religion that causes the most hostility among fervent atheists. Currently in America we see churchs been burned down by the Black Lives Matter movement that are following the Devil, Bible's burned in the street, worshippers attacked by mobs as they go to church to pray.

The overwhelming majority of Christians support the Black Lives Matter movement.

All around the world Christians are being persecuted, and we are starting to see glimpses of it in a big western Christian nation now. Jesus always said he would return. In those last days there will have been a falling away from the church, people proud of their sin, wars and rumers of wars, earthquakes and the world in turmoil. These are called birth pains. We are in that final season now. It's up to you to follow the mockers that are trusting the world or to trust the bible which is God's word. One leads to hell and the other to salvation.

Can you link to these churches that have been burnt down by BLM?

Because bearing false witness is not only a sin, it's breaking a very specific commandment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,086 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Your so deep in this world that the possibility you have been programmed since birth to turn from God is a whole pile of crazy to you.

Just on the highlighted section - have you any idea how many atheists came out of religeous/Christian homes and/or spent many years actually studying the subject and engaging - honestly - in worship?

Your argument has a lot in common with people who claim that Trump is maligned because of MSM - go to the source and realise that MSM is not necessary in forming an opinion.

Do you realise that even to committed Christians, you are probably doing more harm than good with your theories?

My memories of the social aspects of my religious experience are warm and positive, I just can't go along with the basic premise, and especially the people who take it on themselves to put their own interpretation on it and expect everyone else to fall into line.

I'm gonna guess that this is exactly why you are Christian. You were born into a Christian society, raised by a Christian family, baptised and indoctrinated into Christianity before you even knew what the word religion meant, and have since suffered from a bad case of confirmation bias and have not tried to consider that what you learned growing up might be wrong. You certainly didn't take a more sensible approach of sitting down for a week or two when you were 18, having a read of the Bible, the Koran, the Tipitaka etc. and deciding which one makes the most sense to you. The only reason you personally believe what you believe is because it's the religion you know the most about, no other reason.

Please seek help.

I actually left Christianity for a very long time. Like most of my generation i was indoctrinated to think God and the Devil was all a big joke. Through cartoons, the mass produced media, films, programs, and music, my view of the world was being shaped into an atheist outlook.

It was when I started researching and putting the pieces together I realised we are being deceived on a massive scale. I realised the US federal reserve is privately owned, the bank of international settlements recycle funds into the financial system from terrorism, drug trafficking, prostitution, people smuggling to make it look like it comes from a legitimate source, charging interest on debt is their main way of passing wealth to the top and much more.

What was shocking, was not that a few people control this world at the top but realising they worship Lucifer in satanic rituals. Therefore if those that control the world worship the devil then there must be some truth to the bible. So next I started reading the bible and that is when the scales placed over my eyes started to fall off.

There is a spiritual war playing out in this world and many people are being deceived by the devil. You see this deception clearly in the new age spiritual practices, people being tricked by these demonic entities. For the few that then realise Jesus Christ is the real deal, those entities that were meant to be enlighting them then engage in spiritual warfare against them. To you this is crazy but the Devil and his Demons are real and they are trying to deceive as many souls as possible.

looksee wrote: »
    Just on the highlighted section - have you any idea how many atheists came out of religeous/Christian homes and/or spent many years actually studying the subject and engaging - honestly - in worship?

Your argument has a lot in common with people who claim that Trump is maligned because of MSM - go to the source and realise that MSM is not necessary in forming an opinion.

Do you realise that even to committed Christians, you are probably doing more harm than good with your theories?

My memories of the social aspects of my religious experience are warm and positive, I just can't go along with the basic premise, and especially the people who take it on themselves to put their own interpretation on it and expect everyone else to fall into line.

I believe there are many Luke warm Christians that won't be saved. Jesus said because thou art lukewarm and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

In many Christian churches the full truth is not told. Hell is a real place and many people go there when they finish up in this world. Yes God is loving, he wants everyone to accept Jesus and receive the holy spirit. It is because so many Christians are afraid to speak the full truth, that many continue to keep sinning and don't ever fully become reconciled back to God.

I believe there are many Luke warm Christians that won't be saved. Jesus said because thou art lukewarm and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

In many Christian churches the full truth is not told. Hell is a real place and many people go there when they finish up in this world. Yes God is loving, he wants everyone to accept Jesus and receive the holy spirit. It is because so many Christians are afraid to speak the full truth, that many continue to keep sinning and don't ever fully become reconciled back to God.

Doesn't sound very loving to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

So unless they are 100% devout they are pretty much condemning themselves to an eternity in hell?

What about the people who have never heard of "jesus" how does one "accept Jesus and receive the holy spirit" if they don't know who he is/was?

Did Jesus actuallu say that, or is it your belief? Because as far as I know biblical historians and theologians are divided on the issue.

I'm inclined to call you out on bearing flase witness again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

After listening to some prominent atheists and doing some research the idea that there maybe a god is just as scary as the thought of simply nothing.

An all powerful god decides to create the world and humans and then fills the world with such pain and misery and then expects us to worship him constantly, why? It then tries to fill us with fear of his wrath if we disobey in anyway.

What kind of a god is it to do that? a very scary one in my honest opinion, I mean if I created life the last thing I would want to do is bestow untold misery on it and then demand it grovels to me, that's insane.

How do people reconcile the fact they are worshiping a god that does and behaves this way? We condemn dictators and evil despots for doing this kind of thing but God gets a free pass, why? is it not just as wrong? are people only believing and following out of fear?

Also how many religions and gods are there in the world? we only believe in what we believe because of geography...they can't all be true, if we were born in a different era or a different part of the world our beliefs would be totally different, yet Catholics and Christians don't bat an eye in not believing in any other religion or God..

Iv'e been struggling with this lately, id always considered myself a lapsed catholic, I don't attend church but I believed there maybe something, but now the thought of something is just as scary, if not scarier than simply ceasing to exist.

Certainly the God I believe in (who isn't quite the caricature god of the prominent atheists) is a sobering prospect. That said, there isn't anything about him that I find I would, in my heart of hearts, object to

Like, the definition of heaven is a place "wherein only righteousness dwelt". That can't be bad: no pain, no hurt, no war, no spitefulness, no selfishness, no locks on your doors, no passwords to manage, no addiction, no Trump (even if Donald himself is there...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭8kczg9v0swrydm

After listening to some prominent atheists and doing some research the idea that there maybe a god is just as scary as the thought of simply nothing.

An all powerful god decides to create the world and humans and then fills the world with such pain and misery and then expects us to worship him constantly, why? It then tries to fill us with fear of his wrath if we disobey in anyway.

What kind of a god is it to do that? a very scary one in my honest opinion, I mean if I created life the last thing I would want to do is bestow untold misery on it and then demand it grovels to me, that's insane.

How do people reconcile the fact they are worshiping a god that does and behaves this way? We condemn dictators and evil despots for doing this kind of thing but God gets a free pass, why? is it not just as wrong? are people only believing and following out of fear?

Also how many religions and gods are there in the world? we only believe in what we believe because of geography...they can't all be true, if we were born in a different era or a different part of the world our beliefs would be totally different, yet Catholics and Christians don't bat an eye in not believing in any other religion or God..

Iv'e been struggling with this lately, id always considered myself a lapsed catholic, I don't attend church but I believed there maybe something, but now the thought of something is just as scary, if not scarier than simply ceasing to exist.

Hi Sandor Clegane,

I think your picture of God is out of sync. The early believers called the preaching about God 'euangelion' - the Good News. How does that square up to what you described?

You have painted an image of a tyrant who demands utter submission while causing untold misery. You are right - if this god existed, the world would be an insane and scary place.

I am a Christian, a practicing Catholic. What you described is not the God whom I know.

Did you ever consider that you were created by God to spend eternity with Him, in safety and bliss?

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11)

Did you ever consider that God came and died for you on the cross, to save you from the consequences of your sins?

"For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost." (Luke 19:10)

"[Mary] will have a son, and you are to name him Jesus, for He will save his people from their sins.” (Matthew 1:21)

Did you ever consider that God loves you?

"See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!" (1 John 3:1)

God loves humanity and is very much on our side. He wants to save us from ourselves - that is why He gave us the Commandments. Let's have a quick look:

- Thou shall not steal - ensures justice, protection for the weakest;
    - Thou shall not commit adultery - protects children and spouses from a broken family and the terrible hurt this brings;
    - Keep holy the Sabbath day - ensures we get proper rest, are not exploited by callous employers etc.

The problem of suffering which you mention is a real one. Suffering is undoubtedly part of our lived experience and always will be. Moreover, God allows suffering (notice that He is not the one proverbially smiting people from a cloud). I doubt I would be able to do the problem justice in one post. A few things to remember though:
    1) Much of our suffering is self inflicted;
    2) We learn from our suffering, sometimes it is the only way we will learn; and
    3) Something went wrong at the beginning of man's existence. The Bible shrouds it in mystery (The Garden of Eden narrative), but something is undoubtedly not as it should be. For example, why do we have such powerful inclinations to do evil? Whatever happened, we are still living with the consequences of that event, consequences which translate into major suffering.

Peter Kreeft has a good article on the issue, I hope he will make a lot more sense than I do:

https://www.catholic.com/magazine/print-edition/the-problem-of-suffering-reconsidered

As to the myriad of religions, I think that humanity has a desperate need to reconnect with its Creator. If people cannot know and worship Him in truth, as He is, they will seek out a relationship with Him any way they can. This means writing their own back story, prescribing their own rituals etc.

But let's look at the Christian position. Many people think that sure, a Jesus lived 2,000 years ago (there is much extra-biblical evidence for His existence, such as the Letter of Pliny to the Roman Emperor and the writings of Tacitus on the Lives of the Caesars), but that He was just a good man, helping out etc. The problem is that Jesus does not leave this option open for us. He openly claimed to be the Son of God, to be divine. Therefore, He was a) bad, leading people astray for personal gain b)mad, leading people astray because He lost his mind or c) God, as in He was who He said He was. Considering what He taught (love, forgiveness, sacrifice, salvation, friendship with God), if you are unwilling to call Him crazy or evil, than could He possibly be....God?

As to the position of Catholicism, consider this authentic account of Christian worship from 155 A.D. You will find that it mirrors the modern Catholic Mass. 2,000 years on, same teaching, same worship.

To sum up, do not give up on a relationship with God, who is a loving, caring and merciful God. It is the greatest adventure you could possibly embark on. You will do things you have never dreamed of doing.

Sure, looking back on our life, the evil we have done might fill us with dread, but the truth is that every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. At life's end, we will all be judged (because God is also a just God), but the good news is that our sins can be forgiven in the sacrament of Confession. The slate can be made clean.

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness" (1 John 1:9)

[Jesus to disciples]"If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you withhold forgiveness from any, it is withheld.” (John 20:23)

I would advise you to pray to God, in your own words. Get yourself a copy of the New Testament and the Catechism, study them, get to know God and cease your fear and trembling. ;)

Hi Sandor Clegane,

I think your picture of God is out of sync. The early believers called the preaching about God 'euangelion' - the Good News. How does that square up to what you described?

You have painted an image of a tyrant who demands utter submission while causing untold misery. You are right - if this god existed, the world would be an insane and scary place.

I am a Christian, a practicing Catholic. What you described is not the God whom I know.

Did you ever consider that you were created by God to spend eternity with Him, in safety and bliss?

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11)

Did you ever consider that God came and died for you on the cross, to save you from the consequences of your sins?

"For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost." (Luke 19:10)

"[Mary] will have a son, and you are to name him Jesus, for He will save his people from their sins.” (Matthew 1:21)

Did you ever consider that God loves you?

"See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!" (1 John 3:1)

God loves humanity and is very much on our side. He wants to save us from ourselves - that is why He gave us the Commandments. Let's have a quick look:

- Thou shall not steal - ensures justice, protection for the weakest;
    - Thou shall not commit adultery - protects children and spouses from a broken family and the terrible hurt this brings;
    - Keep holy the Sabbath day - ensures we get proper rest, are not exploited by callous employers etc.

The problem of suffering which you mention is a real one. Suffering is undoubtedly part of our lived experience and always will be. Moreover, God allows suffering (notice that He is not the one proverbially smiting people from a cloud). I doubt I would be able to do the problem justice in one post. A few things to remember though:
    1) Much of our suffering is self inflicted;
    2) We learn from our suffering, sometimes it is the only way we will learn; and
    3) Something went wrong at the beginning of man's existence. The Bible shrouds it in mystery (The Garden of Eden narrative), but something is undoubtedly not as it should be. For example, why do we have such powerful inclinations to do evil? Whatever happened, we are still living with the consequences of that event, consequences which translate into major suffering.

Peter Kreeft has a good article on the issue, I hope he will make a lot more sense than I do:

https://www.catholic.com/magazine/print-edition/the-problem-of-suffering-reconsidered

As to the myriad of religions, I think that humanity has a desperate need to reconnect with its Creator. If people cannot know and worship Him in truth, as He is, they will seek out a relationship with Him any way they can. This means writing their own back story, prescribing their own rituals etc.

But let's look at the Christian position. Many people think that sure, a Jesus lived 2,000 years ago (there is much extra-biblical evidence for His existence, such as the Letter of Pliny to the Roman Emperor and the writings of Tacitus on the Lives of the Caesars), but that He was just a good man, helping out etc. The problem is that Jesus does not leave this option open for us. He openly claimed to be the Son of God, to be divine. Therefore, He was a) bad, leading people astray for personal gain b)mad, leading people astray because He lost his mind or c) God, as in He was who He said He was. Considering what He taught (love, forgiveness, sacrifice, salvation, friendship with God), if you are unwilling to call Him crazy or evil, than could He possibly be....God?

As to the position of Catholicism, consider this authentic account of Christian worship from 155 A.D. You will find that it mirrors the modern Catholic Mass. 2,000 years on, same teaching, same worship.

To sum up, do not give up on a relationship with God, who is a loving, caring and merciful God. It is the greatest adventure you could possibly embark on. You will do things you have never dreamed of doing.

Sure, looking back on our life, the evil we have done might fill us with dread, but the truth is that every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. At life's end, we will all be judged (because God is also a just God), but the good news is that our sins can be forgiven in the sacrament of Confession. The slate can be made clean.

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness" (1 John 1:9)

[Jesus to disciples]"If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you withhold forgiveness from any, it is withheld.” (John 20:23)

I would advise you to pray to God, in your own words. Get yourself a copy of the New Testament and the Catechism, study them, get to know God and cease your fear and trembling. ;)

Tie that in with a God that apparently created childhood cancer for some sadistic reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭8kczg9v0swrydm

So unless they are 100% devout they are pretty much condemning themselves to an eternity in hell?

What about the people who have never heard of "jesus" how does one "accept Jesus and receive the holy spirit" if they don't know who he is/was?
    Did Jesus actuallu say that, or is it your belief? Because as far as I know biblical historians and theologians are divided on the issue.

I'm inclined to call you out on bearing flase witness again.

If God forced people to spend eternity with Him, then once more we are back to the tyrant God. Those who reject Him through their evil deeds (and humanity is super-creative when it comes to this) will find themselves damned for eternity. They will have made their choice. This is a sobering prospect, but if this was not the case, then we would effectively have no real freedom.

As to Biblical evidence, Jesus solemnly proclaims that He "will send His angels, and they will gather . . . all evil doers, and throw them into the furnace of fire" (Matthew 13:41-42).

Regarding people who have never heard of God, we know that God is a just judge. Each will be judged according to his circumstances, taking everything into account.

However, if we focus on hell, it is easy to lose sight of what is really important. Man's destiny should be to spend eternity with God, in happiness, safety and bliss. Achieving this end is not too difficult. If we muck up, as often happens, and are sorry, we can have our sins forgiven through the sacrament of Confession. This is the "Good News"!

What Heaven will look like is shrouded in mystery, we only get a few hints here and there:
    On this mountain the Lord Almighty will prepare
    a feast of rich food for all peoples,
    a banquet of aged wine—
    the best of meats and the finest of wines.
    On this mountain he will destroy
    the shroud that enfolds all peoples,
    the sheet that covers all nations;
    he will swallow up death forever.
    The Sovereign Lord will wipe away the tears
    from all faces;
    he will remove his people’s disgrace
    from all the earth.
    The Lord has spoken.
    In that day they will say,
    “Surely this is our God;
    we trusted in him, and he saved us.