Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oisin Murphy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭New Era

New Era wrote: »

Mods please please please put this new thread into the horse racing thread thanks. Mea Culpa on my part. Apologies sincerely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

New Era wrote: »
    Mods please please please put this new thread into the horse racing thread thanks. Mea Culpa on my part. Apologies sincerely.
    Will look after it now mate

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

possibly one of the most uncoke heads ever to test 'positive'

• Registered Users Posts: 16,387 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Something seems very wrong here. Lots of riders have tested positive for cocaine in the UK. A prolific rider like Murphy will surely have been tested multiple times in the UK. How can it be possible he has evaded detection for so long there, yet on a rare ride in France, he tests positive?

The exact same thing happened to Robbie Downey. He is still protesting his innocence to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭kksaints

Something seems very wrong here. Lots of riders have tested positive for cocaine in the UK. A prolific rider like Murphy will surely have been tested multiple times in the UK. How can it be possible he has evaded detection for so long there, yet on a rare ride in France, he tests positive?

The exact same thing happened to Robbie Downey. He is still protesting his innocence to this day.

Better quality coke in France maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

not a hope he takes the devils dandruff .

no chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭BagheeraBlue

passed a strand test just like robbie downey

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It is possible they let their guard down when travelling?

He could have thought " well if I can't ride for 14 days?"

I am only speculating and I don't really know. What I would say is this, he is hardly the devil incarnate either. He seems like a nice bloke and these days cocaine is everywhere. It is highly likely he has had a few toots and has got unlucky. I have often taken the odd line without thinking about it, that doesn't make me a degenerate junckie with a drug problem either.

His best options now are to get some PR advice and keep his head down. The more he tries to deny it or blame the french the more eyebrows will get raised. The fact of the matter is that lots and lots of people do it now, it is everywhere.

He is not going to be the first or last jockey getting caught trying to have a laugh, all the best ones were into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

So, 32 days after the original urine sample, he hands over a hair sample to a third party tester, which returns negative for cocaine. Am I missing something here? Is he trying to prove that because the hair sample, which is 32 days older than the urine sample, shows no trace of cocaine, therefore he didnt use cocaine in the days before the urine sample? Seems like a peculiar argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

akelly02 wrote: »
    not a hope he takes the devils dandruff .

no chance

Cokeheads come in all shapes and sizes. Didn't he get thrown off a course as well for gargle recently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Sad to see. There's so much good quality scotch out there you have to wonder why these lads turn to cocaine. How long will he banned for?

Great timing for young Fallon..... Very good timing all things considered.

Slattsy wrote: »
    Great timing for young Fallon..... Very good timing all things considered.

As long as the apple does not fall too far from the tree:pac::pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

So, 32 days after the original urine sample, he hands over a hair sample to a third party tester, which returns negative for cocaine. Am I missing something here? Is he trying to prove that because the hair sample, which is 32 days older than the urine sample, shows no trace of cocaine, therefore he didnt use cocaine in the days before the urine sample? Seems like a peculiar argument.

Not sure of the science but it's supposed to show up in hair samples up to 3 months after ingestion so I guess they're arguing it should still have shown a positive if he had taken it. Not sure how much it's going to help them though.

I was reading that cocaine is detectable in the urine for up to 4 days. Murphy would have know that other riders have fallen foul of French drug testing before. He will also have known that he was riding in France well before the race. It makes no sense that he would take cocaine in the 4 days leading up to this race.

I was reading that cocaine is detectable in the urine for up to 4 days. Murphy would have know that other riders have fallen foul of French drug testing before. He will also have known that he was riding in France well before the race. It makes no sense that he would take cocaine in the 4 days leading up to this race.

Taking banger makes no sense full stop. But it doesn't take much for a young fella like him to phuck up. Wrong place wrong time. Decent party, sexy birds etc etc. It happens and he made a mistake and it looks like he got nabbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

What's more believable

Oisin Murphy took a bit of coke and got caught and now denying it to the hilt

French racing have an agenda against British based jockeys and are stitching a few up?

Some of the defending of Murphy is absolutely cringe worthy. "He isn't the kind of fella"

"He wouldn't take it"

"When would he have had the time?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

What's more believable

Oisin Murphy took a bit of coke and got caught and now denying it to the hilt

French racing have an agenda against British based jockeys and are stitching a few up?

Some of the defending of Murphy is absolutely cringe worthy. "He isn't the kind of fella"

"He wouldn't take it"

"When would he have had the time?"

No time for conspiracy but can't see him being guilty...dont know how he clears his name though

B sample has not been tested yet

Why can't you see him guilty?

Why can't you see him guilty?

He's no Dettori/Fallon etc

I just dont think it fits his personality........absolutely that may be naive on my part but its definitely not he's a paddy and its a conspiracy thing

Coke is so prevelant in society I wouldn't be in the slightest bit surprised by anyone taking it.

• Advertisement

Leaving the question of whether Oisin Murphy is the type or not, quite a lot of jockeys test positive for cocaine. It seems quite prevalent in the sport and not because it is a "party drug". I'd guess it's a combination of things, easy availability and temptation among them.

Leaving the question of whether Oisin Murphy is the type or not, quite a lot of jockeys test positive for cocaine. It seems quite prevalent in the sport and not because it is a "party drug". I'd guess it's a combination of things, easy availability and temptation among them.
    Not saying Murphy is innocent, but it all seems a little strange. Murphy has had 3000+ rides in his last three years in the UK. He is very prolific and it's likely he's been tested multiple times in the UK. How comes he only gets pulled up for cocaine on a very rare ride to France? Same thing happened with Downey

Not saying Murphy is innocent, but it all seems a little strange. Murphy has had 3000+ rides in his last three years in the UK. He is very prolific and it's likely he's been tested multiple times in the UK. How comes he only gets pulled up for cocaine on a very rare ride to France? Same thing happened with Downey

Lot of jockeys have tested positive in France alright - Detroit, Fallon, Rob Havlin, Dean Gallagher Tec

Thing about anti doping in general is that the thresholds for testing positive are generally erring on high side. Thus, for example, you see cyclists maintaining just below the blood level threshold even though they're still well above normal human levels.

So it seems to be in racing, the uk and Ireland may have a quite generous threshold while france practices a stricter one. And jockeys may be getting caught out by that. It would certainly help if, like other sports, there was a standardised test across the board as riders are constantly on the go these times.

Lot of jockeys have tested positive in France alright - Detroit, Fallon, Rob Havlin, Dean Gallagher Tec

Thing about anti doping in general is that the thresholds for testing positive are generally erring on high side. Thus, for example, you see cyclists maintaining just below the blood level threshold even though they're still well above normal human levels.

So it seems to be in racing, the uk and Ireland may have a quite generous threshold while france practices a stricter one. And jockeys may be getting caught out by that. It would certainly help if, like other sports, there was a standardised test across the board as riders are constantly on the go these times.

eh, they should standardise so they can do x amount of blow on a night out etc...dont think thats appropiate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

i'd say he's as innocent as Michelle Smyth, if the second sample is positive he should take it on the chin it's not a big deal as iamamoran has said above it's everywhere in society.

I think the rule should be if that you are a retained rider and you are on serious 6 figure salaries and getting to ride the fastest horses on the planet that you should not act the bollocks and stay off the powders until it is holiday time? He is a phucking idiot all things considered. He has all Christmas and winter to party. Himself and his pals should be scooting off to the far ends of the planet and having a laugh in peace, it is about self discipline.

Thing is, it will be the naughty step until next season and then he will literally be back in the saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Well, if you hang around with Matt Chapman enough some of it is bound to transfer at some point.............

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Not sure of the science but it's supposed to show up in hair samples up to 3 months after ingestion so I guess they're arguing it should still have shown a positive if he had taken it. Not sure how much it's going to help them though.

Yeah the hair sample is a smoke screen in my opinion. Nobody will care about that result, the authorities and the racing public in general will have confidence in the urine testing process so if A and B are positive for cocaine, he's gonna have to eat the punishment.

eh, they should standardise so they can do x amount of blow on a night out etc...dont think thats appropiate

No, not suggesting that at all, obviously. I mean, i can tell you what the threshold for cocaine is here and in the uk. But im not sure what it is in france or what concentration they found in murphys sample. That would be useful to know, that's all.

The other side is, if they are serious about tackling drugs, then maybe they need to look at penalties. Murphy b sample will be opened, he'll get the 6 months and will come back nice and refreshed for the classic season. Maybe he'll miss a few lucrative winter riding engagements but it's tap on wrist stuff really. People talk about hit to reputation but will be forgotten by this time next year.

• Advertisement

No, not suggesting that at all, obviously. I mean, i can tell you what the threshold for cocaine is here and in the uk. But im not sure what it is in france or what concentration they found in murphys sample. That would be useful to know, that's all.

The other side is, if they are serious about tackling drugs, then maybe they need to look at penalties. Murphy b sample will be opened, he'll get the 6 months and will come back nice and refreshed for the classic season. Maybe he'll miss a few lucrative winter riding engagements but it's tap on wrist stuff really. People talk about hit to reputation but will be forgotten by this time next year.

Agree with all that it, the detail on his failure level versus spec in other juristictions would be interesting

Advertisement