Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas during Covid times

Options

Comments

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Certainly true , if some having parties and then inviting elderly relatives over for dinner .

I think that poster meant some people may die before next Christmas and it won't be due to Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I think that poster meant some people may die before next Christmas and it won't be due to Covid.

I don't know what he meant but it's very likely that if people don't restrain themselves from partying before they visit elderly or vulnerable relatives before Christmas there will be a rise in cases in hospital in the first week of January .
    It's not funny at all .

No problem if people are being careful , and visiting family this Christmas like yourself .
    I just know I am mixing with too many potentially infectious on a daily basis to visit my extended family and none of them are alone so it's not an issue .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

This is just the way to do it . Am impressed by you and your son .

I am working in a hospital so wouldn't be going to anyone's house for Christmas , and have been more or less isolated to immediate family since this started .
    So it'll be Christmas at home just us , and zom calls with the extended family .
    Just hope I am not rostered to work , don't know yet :(
    No elderly relatives , am sorry to say, anymore, but a few close are vulnerable so they will be celebrating with their nuclear families also.
    Don't feel we can do much more in the context of what is happening , but yes it is a sacrifice for this year .

Hope whatever you do, you’ve a nice Christmas break after a year like no other.

I don't know what he meant but it's very likely that if people don't restrain themselves from partying before they visit elderly or vulnerable relatives before Christmas there will be a rise in cases in hospital in the first week of January .
    It's not funny at all .

No problem if people are being careful , and visiting family this Christmas like yourself .
    I just know I am mixing with too many potentially infectious on a daily basis to visit my extended family and none of them are alone so it's not an issue .

Yes a rise in cases is inevitable come January and some of those people may die. I suppose everyone needs to assess the risk for themselves. There are those who may be nearing the end of their life or who have a terminal illness. Nobody knows what's around the corner. Different circumstances will mean different decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

well, i'll be at work until 2/3 days before Christmas day, so I doubt we'll be able to go home to see parents and siblings

might just have to go down in the new year after some time at home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Hoochiemama

Does anyone know what the story might be for christmas for people with learning difficulties living in residential homes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭JTMan

On a related note, in the US, the CDC has just recommended against all Thanksgiving travel.

If Thanksgiving gatherings lead to more cases and deaths that might influence Christmas policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

JTMan wrote: »
    On a related note, in the US, the CDC has just recommended against all Thanksgiving travel.

If Thanksgiving gatherings lead to more cases and deaths that might influence Christmas policy.

I would disagree with that. The US have just had a defining election where there have been many people congregating, travelling, mass gatherings, etc. Ireland has been in level 3 and now 5 for weeks with none of these type of events.
    We’re dreadful suckers for punishment in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Especially if people don’t show a thought for others and flout around spreading this virus.

Give over. The same people who are telling you to wear a mask, social distance otherwise you'll kill Grandma are the same ones caught breaking these same rules time and time again. When do people cop on and realize that virus isn't that deadly. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to pull the "One law for Me. One law for Thee." selective enforcement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Give over. The same people who are telling you to wear a mask, social distance otherwise you'll kill Grandma are the same ones caught breaking these same rules time and time again. When do people cop on and realize that virus isn't that deadly. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to pull the "One law for Me. One law for Thee." selective enforcement.

When do you cop on and stop spouting bull**** about the virus not being that deadly? So more and more countries throughout Europe are going into stricter restrictions for no reason are they? FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

When do you cop on and stop spouting bull**** about the virus not being that deadly? So more and more countries throughout Europe are going into stricter restrictions for no reason are they? FFS.

Wake up it's virus that's so deadly you need a highly innacurate test to find out you have it. Do you think during the bubonic plague they needed to falsify death certificates in order to tell people there was a deadly plague doing the rounds?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

GT89 wrote: »
    Wake up it's virus that's so deadly you need a highly innacurate test to find out you have it. Do you think during the bubonic plague they needed to falsify death certificates in order to tell people there was a deadly plague doing the rounds?

I see you are still spouting nonsensical BS. BTW I presume you are still whinging and moaning about having to wear a mask. Am I right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

I see you are still spouting nonsensical BS. BTW I presume you are still whinging and moaning about having to wear a mask. Am I right?

You need to stop living in fear. As for masks they don't work simple as studies have proven. I don't like wearing one because I care for my health and don't like being deprived of oxygen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

You need to stop living in fear. As for masks they don't work simple as studies have proven. I don't like wearing one because I care for my health and don't like being deprived of oxygen.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

The fear is the unknown. There no way to tell who's like to die or survive? Even though you've got a better chance if you're healthy, young and rarely get sick. Government reaction is to the unknown. Do you take the risk and allow hundreds of thousands to get sick here or put in restrictions to stop the increase? The latter makes more sense.

Wearing a mask in a public place is not really a hard thing to do. However minor it could prevent you from getting it. People cough all the time in shops, that person could have covid and be near you. For that minute or two you spend in a shop a covering over your nose and mouth may offer some help?

Personally i think the restrictions are too hard in rural areas. Cities with more movement of people in areas it make more sense. Remote villages in the back of nowhere with country air and low population density make very little sense to have lockdown level 5 there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

The Chinese are adapting 0.45 metre social distance for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,820 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I favour a week of let anything goes from Christmas Eve, then 3+ months of level 5 or 5plus VRT lockdown until we hit St Patricks Day where another week of fun happens and then back to level 5 until 1st June. This guessing what way the virus blows in the wind is doing no favours, most people of sense know how to avoid the virus now.

This 'I think we had it there now' attitude is like the episode of Father Ted with the milk float.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mod

Before this thread details,

Mask chat -> please use mask thread.

Virus is being overplayed -> Conspiracy Theories forum

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

I am living and working in Belgium at the moment and I am planning to return home for Christmas. Thankfully I will be able to self-isolate away from my family for the two week period beforehand and work remotely, and I don't plan on seeing anyone else during the holidays, even people I'd normally meet around this time. No parties, no get-togethers, no Mass, none of the usual stuff that comes with this time of year. Being able to see my family is more than enough for me anyway.

Unfortunately we probably won't be able to go out and see my grandmother, who turns 83 in February. She's still in the best of health and has been coping pretty well with the whole ordeal (she generally doesn't mind her own company anyway) but even for her it'll be hard going. Please God I'll be able to see her again from Summer next year or thereabouts.

I've made every effort to stay where I am and limit my movements this year. I haven't been in Ireland since January, and stayed in Belgium right through the Summer, while our own Commissioner couldn't even follow the example his government and people were setting and f€cked off to a massive golfing dinner. I've been in touch as regularly as I can with my family. I'm generally an independent person, but I'm only 24, and I've never been away for this long from my family in my life. I would happily throw away every other aspect of Christmas just to see them for a few days, even if I spend the entire time 2 metres apart. That would honestly be enough. Zoom quizzes, Teams chats, all of that is decent, but no substitute for just a few minutes with the people closest to you.

I have accepted the value of the moralising and concern and finger-wagging throughout most of this pandemic, but if responsibly isolating and seeing your close family after nearly a year apart, after all the effort the rest of the year, is still considered frivolous, then what has been the point of all of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,001 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I favour a week of let anything goes from Christmas Eve, then 3+ months of level 5 or 5plus VRT lockdown until we hit St Patricks Day where another week of fun happens and then back to level 5 until 1st June. This guessing what way the virus blows in the wind is doing no favours, most people of sense know how to avoid the virus now.

Maybe we should also include activities such as a free for all in retirement homes, sprinkle covid patients all over the hospitals, abolish icu, etc etc, be some Craic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Maybe we should also include activities such as a free for all in retirement homes, sprinkle covid patients all over the hospitals, abolish icu, etc etc, be some Craic!

We don’t currently have enough Covid patients to sprinkle them all over the hospitals, so that idea is a non runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,001 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

We don’t currently have enough Covid patients to sprinkle them all over the hospitals, so that idea is a non runner.

ah come on now, we re better than that, we can easily create them, free coke parties should do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 33,229 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Deprived of oxygen? :rolleyes:

I've heard it all now.

Didn't notice all those fainting people in the supermarket from oxygen deprivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

[QUOTE=snowstorm

Unfortunately we probably won't be able to go out and see my grandmother, who turns 83 in February. She's still in the best of health and has been coping pretty well with the whole ordeal (she generally doesn't mind her own company anyway) but even for her it'll be hard going. Please God I'll be able to see her again from Summer next year or thereabouts.

Why on earth would you not go see your grandmother esp after isolating for two weeks - even from a distance with masks etc for short periods if you that worried?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

DSN wrote: »
    Why on earth would you not go see your grandmother esp after isolating for two weeks - even from a distance with masks etc for short periods if you that worried?

I said we probably won't, I guess we can see what the situation is like on the day. Of course I'd love to see her, but there are 5 of us in the family, I just don't think it would sit well having us all descend in on her in this climate, as we usually would. Maybe a chat through the window or at the door, but I think it's for the best we keep our distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,804 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

DSN wrote: »
    snowstorm wrote:

Because they have travelled from Belgium.

Unless they plan to travel two weeks before Christmas, self isolate somewhere in Ireland for two week and then get a test(*), and then travel to see the relative without seeing anyone along the way, then there's still a risk of taking Covid along .

(*) there could be huge demand for private tests at this time, you could need to be self isolating for longer to get a booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Christmas will be much the same.

Ill spend 3 days pissed
    The great unwashed will let their kids out on scramblers
    Only difference will be no christmas eve pints or work pissup for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭boardise

The_Brood wrote: »
    Since the government doesn't make a firm stance, either go with the Chinese or Swedish approach, and instead elects for endless quasi lockdowns and restrictions with no plan and no end in sight, say goodbye to a normal Christmas and many other things after it.

It's not simply the virus to blame, it's the actions of this failed government. Never ever forget this.

What a load of tosh. Simply someone trying to politicise the pandemic .
    Whatever privations we endure are absolutely due to this new virus which experts struggle to understand.
    Governments all over the world have experienced setbacks trying to cope with the challenges -some that seemed to go well at first are not doing so great now.
    Patience and discipline are what's needed -not simplistic ranting from the sidelines.

Christmas will be much the same.

Ill spend 3 days pissed
    The great unwashed will let their kids out on scramblers
    Only difference will be no christmas eve pints or work pissup for me

No work night is just about justifying covid altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

Because they have travelled from Belgium.

Unless they plan to travel two weeks before Christmas, self isolate somewhere in Ireland for two week and then get a test(*), and then travel to see the relative without seeing anyone along the way, then there's still a risk of taking Covid along .

(*) there could be huge demand for private tests at this time, you could need to be self isolating for longer to get a booking.

They said they were isolating two weeks?? So why not pop to see granny for an HR or two adter isolation with masks distancing etc if you really want to see her & she them?

If they not actually isolating / testing then that's a whole different story of course.
    I don't care really I just know some very lonely older people out there who don't do facetime zoom etc she'd prob love to see your actual face (even if it's through a window)

Advertisement