Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global Cycling Network

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

bingobars wrote: »
    I don’t want to derail the thread but yeah Waterford isn’t all that on a bike IMO
    I disagree. It's a great place for beginners (Greenway) or those looking for something more challenging (Copper coast and Mahon Falls), but you are entitled to your opinion.

I admire Conor Dunne'e enthusiaism given that video must have taken him the guts of ten hours to film (he mentioned seven hours had passed while at Mahon Falls). Yeah, he probably oversold Waterford — comparing the Comeragh's to the Alps — but I think he is just appreciative of the chance to film his passion for cycling during these challenging times.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I'm still a fan of the channel but wouldn't watch every video.

Used to really enjoy Emma Pooley's content. Think all the presenters they have had on it have been pretty likable which is quite the achievement in terms of hiring.
    Agree with previous poster saying maintenance videos are very good. I've gone to them quite a bit for guidance.

Noticed recently that Chris Opie (former presenter) has launched his own channel and when doing a Q&A on that he said that there were a number of reasons why he left but largely that it was quite restrictive in that you couldn't do anything else such as racing while working there. Didn't seem to be any bad blood and when he left, GCN were very vocal in wishing him good luck.

One major positive of the channel is all presenters are massive in to biking, all elements of it and don't ever sneer at a particular class or fitness of rider.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭cletus

swarlb wrote: »
    OK, I'll give you a bit of insight... the last time I rode my bike (or any bike for that matter) was sometime in early 90's, the last time I raced it was in the late 80's.
    As with many people during these Covid times, and during the initial lockdown, I dusted one of them off, pumped up the tyres, oiled the chain and went for a spin. On the road near my house (I live in the country) I spotted another cyclist, and we stopped, at a distance to have a natter. He had a (to me, modern looking bike), carbon frame, minimal flat spoke wheels, deep flanged rims, and the most striking bit to me, a huge looking tooted set of rear sprockets. We spoke about mostly the differences between the bikes, the more we looked, the more we saw. he had fatter tyres, mine were thinner, he had a small inner chainring, mine was larger, he had a greater spread of gears, 11 rear sprockets, mine was a 12/18, with a 53/42 up front, and I was thinking to myself that my 'mountain' set up of 13/21 would be totally over geared by todays standards.
    So, when I got home I googled a few things to see how things have changed, and among other things discovered GCN, hence my original post.
    And no, I don't marvel at using a central locking button to open the doors on my car, I actually marvel at the cleverness of Peugeot to leave the facility in being able to insert the key in the door to open the damn thing.
    As much as I can I use cash... amazingly enough so do lots of other people, including my bank, who have yet to refuse my deposits.
    And no, I don't 'get' gravel bikes.... and probably never will.

I attach a photo of my car key.... for your perusal.

It's obvious that I've annoyed you with my post, however unintentional it may have been, so I'll leave it at this. The examples of keys and cards I raised were not to point out whether you use them or not, but rather ways in which technology we previously knew and understood have changed.

I can appreciate some of the (semi)vintage tools that I own, while still "getting" the DeWalt impact driver I use.

Yes, there would seem to be big changes in cycling tech over the last 30 years, but as you said yourself, a bike is still a bike, and gravel bikes are just another way to cycle, which is a good thing, I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

cletus wrote: »
    It's obvious that I've annoyed you with my post, however unintentional it may have been, so I'll leave it at this. The examples of keys and cards I raised were not to point out whether you use them or not, but rather ways in which technology we previously knew and understood have changed.

I can appreciate some of the (semi)vintage tools that I own, while still "getting" the DeWalt impact driver I use.

Yes, there would seem to be big changes in cycling tech over the last 30 years, but as you said yourself, a bike is still a bike, and gravel bikes are just another way to cycle, which is a good thing, I would think.

No, No... not at all. Trying to get across any notion via 'text' is difficult at the best of time, probably even more so when one is a grumpy aul fella.

I have to say, my opinion of some of the presenters is beginning to change. I had no idea that yer man Conor was a former professional, and among other things completed a Giro. Hats off to anyone who even starts one of these things, never mind completes it, no matter what position.
    The 'hour' attempt Ollie did was also very interesting. Fair play to him for the preparation involved, and he also didn't do too badly either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Think all the presenters they have had on it have been pretty likable
    i find hank a little difficult to warm to, mind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

swarlb wrote: »
    I had no idea that yer man Conor was a former professional
    a few of them are former pros. daniel lloyd used to ride for the cervelo test team.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Refractions

a few of them are former pros. daniel lloyd used to ride for the cervelo test team.

I think they've all ridden professionally apart from Ollie, who comes from a cycling journo background.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think they've all ridden professionally apart from Ollie, who comes from a cycling journo background.
    At least at Conti level anyway. Conor is only retired since the end of last season from Pro Conti Level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭JMcL

cletus wrote: »
    :D:D:D

I'd forgotten about those ads

"Super, Jimmy, super"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ollie has a PhD in chemistry and then moved into journalism or moved into it near the end so we know who to point fingers at if wada show up

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

They've cropped up fairly regularly as suggested YouTube videos. I can't say I've consumed massive chunk of their catalogue but anything I have taken a look at has been kind of cringey. Very, very commercial with a heavy dollop of forced, cheery "banter".

I was going to say that maybe its pitched more at the newer cyclists, but on reflection I'm not sure that's even right. More correctly it seems pitched more at persuading newer cyclists to buy a tonne of equipment.

Having said all that, fair play to them. When I first encountered it I thought they didn't have a hope of turning it into a sustainable business, but boy was I wrong about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

Brilliant channel. No matter what I search for chances are GCN will have something on it, and I don't have to pay a penny for it. How could you complain? Yeah some of it is repetitive, but it's cycling, there's only so much you can do!

Did he?

He never mentions it!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

One thing that deserves specific credit for the channel is the production of their videos is top notch. Any of the extended touring ones or epic rides are generally of very high quality and make you want to ride a bike in such locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Connor dunne is doing some great bord failte work,their video production is very good imo

Advertisement