Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global Cycling Network

Options
  • 29-09-2020 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭

What generally do people think of this (YouTube Channel) ?
    Initially I found some of the content to be interesting, but some of the topics are always labelled 'controversial' and tend to be a bit divisive. For example, 'rim brake V disc brake' I mean this years TDF was won on a rim braked bike.... so what does that mean, if anything.
    I often wonder if the data collected from the replies is used for marketing purposes...
    Having watched the time it takes to change a disc braked back wheel, I wonder if they are worth the effort... specially when the cyclist involved watches his rival sprint away up the hill...
    The other thing is 'wide tyres'.... I'm from an era when 18 or 19mm was the norm.... personally I think that fat black tyres on a racing bike is simply ugly, when compared to pretty silk bound tubulars....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They ran out of topics to cover in 2018. Its all filler now.

Also that plonkers hair of late. Christ on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

I more or less have stopped watching. Still appears on my newsfeed so might watch the race review show or the odd interesting story like Conor’s recent Donegal 555 review but my viewing is way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

ED E wrote: »
    They ran out of topics to cover in 2018. Its all filler now.

Also that plonkers hair of late. Christ on a bike.

Ahh.... maybe I'm late to the party then....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Sometimes look at some of the "how to" stuff, but the only thing I really watch is the Race Pass. Even then, casting is causing me dropouts if I'm on the turbo, so really World of Cycling while I await their Fire TV app! Highlights/ Replays, the Breakaway etc all on Eurosport App as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Not every video is a winner but I think in general they have a lot of excellent content. Have had a lot of change about with presenters and it's always a pity to lose the good ones but the tie-ins with Eurosport now must mean they're doing something right. -I've watched and saved a lot of their vids on all sorts of stuff from nutrition to bikes to ride routes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, as long as you remember that they're a commercial operation and have 'sponsors' so don't pay too much heed to some of the weirdly specific gear stuff they have, it can be good.
    as ED E mentioned, there are only so many videos you can make about bikes so they did start to repeat themselves a few years ago on a lot of stuff. i think their success is their achilles heel - they're producing a video a day on the main channel, and have several other channels, to try to capitalise on their success, so may be spreading themselves a bit thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

I was going to have a little mini-rant :p about them (their obsession with disc brakes, their obsession with carbohydrates, and then that whole plant-based stuff) but them's all sensitive subjects these days, so best not :eek:

suffuce to say, I don't realy watch it much any more. Thought that whole Race Pass thing was a pile of sh!te to be honest - watching TV from a phone, or casting it to a TV? nope - pas pour moi, merci :rolleyes:

Pre getting a Fire stick, I used to watch eurosport casting from my phone. Still way less hassle and expense than traditional Pay TV.
    fat bloke wrote: »
    but the tie-ins with Eurosport now must mean they're doing something right.
    Taken over by the Eurosport Owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

Use to be a big fan years ago when it was just the 3 lads and they did some good weekly shows and tech or how to vids but found it became to sponsored/paid promos and then they were trying to push other channels

• Registered Users Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

It is the constant pushing of race pass that has annoyed me the most

• Advertisement

I've been playing the wait and see game with racepass as my Eurosport sub expires on Oct. 2nd and according to my account it will be at the 'legacy rate' of 29.99 so cheaper than race pass and much better value over all I think as long as Eurosport continue to have all the races and they even had the CX on Saturday after the worlds.

Also I've little or no interest in the other parts of the GCN app. I've usually already seen the news articles they repost.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

neris wrote: »
    Use to be a big fan years ago when it was just the 3 lads and they did some good weekly shows and tech or how to vids but found it became to sponsored/paid promos and then they were trying to push other channels

When the introduced the wiggle roulette thing I stopped watching. If I watch anything now its the Conor Dunne stuff only.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Conor seems like a lovely fellow. He should be getting paid by Failte Ireland with some of his videos

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Just note that a lot of it "containes promoted content" (not sure of the exact words they use - it flashes up momentarily, so you can't take any of the reviews etc as being objective.
    I remember one they gave of some bikepacking guru trialling an new gravel bike in Morocco (or some such place): the top tube was so sloping that, with his frame-bag on, there was barely room for one 500 water bottle, yet this was the perfect bike for remote north-Africa. Somebody paid for two guys and a film crew to go out there .....
    It's entertaing somethimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Find the content really bad, bike radar ones are much better. Also the presenter's style is quite grating and the sense of humour fairly off. Plus the blatant advertising is annoying. They do occasionally cover things that are interesting though, like the arguments for or against certain stuff, cycling orthodoxies etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭G1032

I've been playing the wait and see game with racepass as my Eurosport sub expires on Oct. 2nd and according to my account it will be at the 'legacy rate' of 29.99 so cheaper than race pass and much better value over all I think as long as Eurosport continue to have all the races and they even had the CX on Saturday after the worlds.

Also I've little or no interest in the other parts of the GCN app. I've usually already seen the news articles they repost.

So the main advantage of Racepass over Eurosport is that it's advert free. That's a huge plus for me. There are way too many as breaks on ES and each break seems to go on forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

GTN is far better

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭lissard

Wow, tough crowd ;-). As far as I can see these guys have by far the biggest library of YouTube content. Sure they have mined nearly every possible topic at this stage, but very occasionally they come up with some gems. Conor Dunnes stuff has been really good. e.g. He did an episode showing what they eat on a GT, a bit of an eye opener. The maintenance stuff is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

G1032 wrote: »
    So the main advantage of Racepass over Eurosport is that it's advert free. That's a huge plus for me. There are way too many as breaks on ES and each break seems to go on forever.

There was a non-advert feed for the tour on Eurosport player. Not sure if there is always this as I only watched the tour on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I tend to watch this in work when things are quiet, but haven’t watched as regularly lately. I’d normally watch the main GCN show and a feature if Conor is doing it, or it’s something relevant to me. If it’s Ollie or Hank I tend to give it a miss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

I really liked it when it was Matt, Si and Dan. They had some smashing videos on there. I still watch it but I prefer the older ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

The only GCN videos I really watch these days are Conor Dunne's videos and some of the challenges like where they cycled from West to East of England in a day.
    Matt Stephens was a loss - he has some great videos on Sigma Sports now where he goes for spins with current and former pros.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

marvin80 wrote: »
    The only GCN videos I really watch these days are Conor Dunne's videos and some of the challenges like where they cycled from West to East of England in a day.
    Matt Stephens was a loss - he has some great videos on Sigma Sports now where he goes for spins with current and former pros.

The cafe rides? That is a good show

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

barrier86 wrote: »
    I really liked it when it was Matt, Si and Dan. They had some smashing videos on there. I still watch it but I prefer the older ones.

I agree with this. I found it both informative and entertaining back when the three lads did it.

I do still watch it but a lot (not all) of it has become a bit 'meh'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

overall i find it good, it's better than nothing, some stuff is filler but some other bits are pretty good. i find Dan a good co commentator on euro sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I found them useful for maintenance tips and stuff like the climbing with 5kg weights, with Dan and Simon both doing it to compare or how a new bike compares to an old bike but now it's a rehash video of how to set up XYZ or what kit or lights to use when there's already a video from a year or two ago. It's a different story if it was 5+ years ago and completely different tech but barely any difference.

Lots of paid content clearly favouring specific brands now too, it gets boring. Can an XYZ bike also do 123? oh it just so happens this specific Canyon bike made for [specific niche of riding] can!

Enjoyed them for a year or so.

There was a non-advert feed for the tour on Eurosport player. Not sure if there is always this as I only watched the tour on it.
    It's usually on the player for all races. I think some races it's not had comms, but that's going back to last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

I really like their epic ride and challenge videos. In a lot of videos they are trying to push gear on you but they have to make their money somehow so I just tend to ignore that stuff. From listening to them, I'm left amazed that my 10 year old 105s still do a job. They are calling them retro lol. They also seemed determined to get people to buy gravel bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭py

I was a big fan early on with Dan, Matt, Simon and Lasty. I thought they did well to hire Emma too but she was only there a year. Haven't really watched a lot of it since as the content seems to be repeated.

Bike Radar Diaries has kept me interested the past few years over there and the hill climbing season series they do is always good. They even lost some of their good presenters too with Ruben and Joe leaving in the past few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

Conor seems like a lovely fellow. He should be getting paid by Failte Ireland with some of his videos

Conor has moved over to Bath to GCN HQ in the last few weeks so that's the end of those.

Advertisement