Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What one thing would you bring if you were a castaway?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Bob Harris wrote: »
    A lifeboat.

To sleep under?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Battery charger.

connected to...?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

MacGyver if we're allowed fictional characters.

Ray Mears. Campfire stories with good food and plans how to make the boat or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,750 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

A book on what to do and how to survive if stranded on a small island

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

A knife would be very handy but you could create sharp objects from stones or branches

Duct tape is very very handy for creating things as opposed to fashioning twine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

My Kelly Brook calendar. For protein!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

On of those fire flint striker yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Not Madonna anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Mcgyver

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Knife
    Actually an axe is more useful overall. It can be used as a knife, but has many more uses.
    A knife would be very handy but you could create sharp objects from stones or branches

Duct tape is very very handy for creating things as opposed to fashioning twine.
    Twine is pretty easy to make. Knapping stones is a skill that requires some knowledge and experience. You have to know the right type of rock for a start and that may not be present on an desert island. Coral based islands for example would lack them. Though seashells could be utilised in a pinch. These days you'd likely find human flotsam and jetsam washed up that could be used too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,029 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Wibbs wrote: »
    Actually an axe is more useful overall. It can be used as a knife, but has many more uses.

generally a knife is recommended in survival situations, it has the abilities to be used as an axe, but isnt as capable as an axe, i have split wood with a knife, and of course its astonishingly versatile compared to an axe

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

One of those knifeyaxey type survival tools would probably be the best compromise?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    One of those knifeyaxey type survival tools would probably be the best compromise?

survival training ive done, have always opted for a knife, and i can see why, in the right hands, they can do some things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭micar

Jessica Alba

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

survival training ive done, have always opted for a knife, and i can see why, in the right hands, they can do some things

How bout a chainsaw ?

micar wrote: »
    Jessica Alba

Apparently she's a moany cnut , you might want a large island to give yourself a break.

How bout a chainsaw ?

fcuk yea, now you re talking, in the right hands, you could do precision surgery with one of those

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Swiss Army knife....yer only man!

fcuk yea, now you re talking, in the right hands, you could do precision surgery with one of those

I see a problem, if you're on the island alone who would you be doing the surgery on ?

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Swiss Army knife....yer only man!

me bollcoks, basic survival knifes are far superior

• Advertisement

I see a problem, if you're on the island alone who would you be doing the surgery on ?

myself of course, job sorted when i return to the land of the living, win win

me bollcoks, basic survival knifes are far superior

And how many times has Switzerland been invaded ? Their army must know some good ****.

And how many times has Switzerland been invaded ? Their army must know some good ****.

na, clumsy ould things, ive seen some things being done with a basic survival knife

na, clumsy ould things, ive seen some things being done with a basic survival knife

Does your survival knife have a tooth pic ?

In saying that , I have an old AK bayonet, terrifying looking thing.You could beat someone to death with it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Matt Damon

He's bound to be rescued sooner or later..

Courage Under Fire, Gulf War I helicopter rescue - $300K

Saving Private Ryan, World War II Europe search party - $100K

Titan A.E, Earth evacuation spaceship - $200m

Syriana, Middle East private security return flight - $50K

Green Zone, US Army transport from Middle East - $50K

Elysium, space station security deployment and damages - $100m

Interstellar, Interstellar spaceship - $500bn

The Martian, Mars mission - $200bn

Does your survival knife have a tooth pic ?

In saying that , I have an old AK bayonet, terrifying looking thing.You could beat someone to death with it.

i used my knife for that, dont need to anymore though, as i picked my teeth out, and most of my gums

Advertisement