Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demon's Souls - PS5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    As requested in the PS5 thread, this is one solely to discuss the remake and a fresh start for people who never played the original.

The only Souls game i never completed, i can't wait to finally beat this in glorious next gen.

Sticky white stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

daheadonu wrote: »
    Do builds in this game work like the others? wanted to do a quality build to start off with

Yea builds are as much a part of this as they are in dark souls

• Registered Users Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I always say I'll try a new build in each Souls game but always fall back to the knight with sword and great shield. Demon's Souls has a build that has you start with a fireball which makes early/mid game much easier. I tried it once but found it very boring. The magic builds look interesting with the spells you can unlock but again, I find them boring.

I always say I'll try a new build in each Souls game but always fall back to the knight with sword and great shield. Demon's Souls has a build that has you start with a fireball which makes early/mid game much easier. I tried it once but found it very boring. The magic builds look interesting with the spells you can unlock but again, I find them boring.

I am exactly the same, I always go sword and shield, for whatever reason it seems like the default/canonical souls build, I quite enjoy it as well anyway. I remember I started Demon's Souls with that fireball build. Was a bit intimidated by the game's rep so I googled the build that makes it easiest. I never finished the game so I am gonna default to my normal build this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Magic in the Souls game looks cool but i never find it satisfying to use or to build a character around, i stick with melee builds most of the time. Magic being supplementary to a melee build isn't bad though

• Advertisement

Magic in the Souls game looks cool but i never find it satisfying to use or to build a character around, i stick with melee builds most of the time. Magic being supplementary to a melee build isn't bad though

Certain sections/bosses become much less of a pain in the whole with the off fireball spell alright. You could use bow and arrow also but I never like that either, like you said, not satisfying, so my long range game is definitely lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Speaking of ranged gameplay, there was loads of way to cheese boss fights in Demons Souls i wonder if they will keep that "tradition" in the remake. With the spider boss you could stand in a certain spot on the left side wall and the boss couldn't hit you and then you shoot it with arrows. Same for the Flamelurker. You could block him on some of the fallen ruins and he wouldn't be able to reach you. And then we have the Maneaters that could be shot from behind the fog wall before entering the boss room.

Man im excited to play. Wish i pre-ordered a PS5 :D

Speaking of ranged gameplay, there was loads of way to cheese boss fights in Demons Souls i wonder if they will keep that "tradition" in the remake. With the spider boss you could stand in a certain spot on the left side wall and the boss couldn't hit you and then you shoot it with arrows. Same for the Flamelurker. You could block him on some of the fallen ruins and he wouldn't be able to reach you. And then we have the Maneaters that could be shot from behind the fog wall before entering the boss room.

Man im excited to play. Wish i pre-ordered a PS5 :D

Ugh the Spider boss drove me mad on my recent playthrough. The elation when I finally beat with a sliver of health left. What Souls games are all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Just a reminder that this thread is also for people who haven't played the game before :p

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Just a reminder that this thread is also for people who haven't played the game before :p

I only played half of it so I'm legit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 BigGpu380

It's kind of ironic I've played every souls game except this one so looks like I actually picked a good time to jump in lol.

BigGpu380 wrote: »
    It's kind of ironic I've played every souls game except this one so looks like I actually picked a good time to jump in lol.

A lot of people came to the series with Dark Souls and never played Demon's Souls since it was stuck on PS3. Not that the PS5 a game to shift units (at launch anyway) but I reckon this is serious system seller for the console among core gamers.

Markitron wrote: »
    A lot of people came to the series with Dark Souls and never played Demon's Souls since it was stuck on PS3. Not that the PS5 a game to shift units (at launch anyway) but I reckon this is serious system seller for the console among core gamers.

Yeah that was the same for me too. How true is it that it's the hardest in the series? I've heard that said a few times so I'm interested if that's true.

Yeah that was the same for me too. How true is it that it's the hardest in the series? I've heard that said a few times so I'm interested if that's true.

I can't really answer that as I only played half of it. Tbh I have heard just as many people claim it is the easiest as you can farm ****loads of healing items. The game doesn't use the estus system.

I can't really answer that as I only played half of it. Tbh I have heard just as many people claim it is the easiest as you can farm ****loads of healing items. The game doesn't use the estus system.

Hmm that's definitely different. Sounds pretty cool. Honestly though, I'm just excited for next gen in general. There's so much they could do now with these updated CPUs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,862 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Having **** tonnes of healing items I found doesn't help in Souls. If you take a hit you are going to hit hard and if you don't know the openings in attacks that allow you to heal I find you are going to get hit with a follow up attack. I'm always dead well before I use up all my estus and once you know a boss you won't have to use all your estus supplies to beat them. Having near infinite healing supplies is a false crutch when you haven't learned the enemies and bosses.

This one is only considered easier because Souls games have generally gotten harder as people got used to the games. Bosses telegraph attacks very well whereas in Dark Souls 3 a lot of boss fights are made difficult with bosses doing fake out attack animations to catch experienced players off guard.

Demon's Souls does have a few nasty surprises like Maneater and those rolling skeletons but it's not easier because of healing items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭WhenPigsCry

I missed having a fixed supply of estus flasks in Bloodborne. You could farm as many healing items as you wanted in that, but if I’m constantly dying against one boss I’d rather my flasks reset at the bonfire than having to stop occasionally to farm more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I wonder if they'll put the estus flask into this or stick with the herbs

I hate consumables in the souls game, the thought of farming items annoys me so i rarely use them. Give me flask any day of the week.

I hate consumables in the souls game, the thought of farming items annoys me so i rarely use them. Give me flask any day of the week.

Yea it was a pain in Bloodborne, one of the few criticisms I have of the game. Was not a problem from about 3 or 4 hours in as your stash would be full of them but it made the start unnecessarily irritating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I never had a major issue with farming consumables in BB, it certainly wasn't through lack of dying. You have such a healthy supply of them in stock anyway once you get into the game you don't really run out

I do prefer estus flask but idk, I think the challenge of having to manage resources really depends on patience too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,862 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I do prefer estus flask but idk, I think the challenge of having to manage resources really depends on patience too.

Farming resources is always bad and not resource management.

I remember my time playing DeS and going back to 1-2 time and time again to farm for healing items. That's not good gameplay or resource management. Same in Bloodborne to a lesser extent. Estus was an elegant and brilliant way of tackling this issue. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing it introduced to DeS, although doing so you could argue would change the original game.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I remember my time playing DeS and going back to 1-2 time and time again to farm for healing items. That's not good gameplay or resource management. Same in Bloodborne to a lesser extent. Estus was an elegant and brilliant way of tackling this issue. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing it introduced to DeS, although doing so you could argue would change the original game.

Yea in BB it was an irritant for 3 or 4 hours, and then became completely irrelevant, it was not exactly stellar game design. I wonder if Bluepoint have the stones to add some form of Estus into Demon's Souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I thought HZD was particularly bad here. You'd get access to an upgraded sling but then discover you needed a goose feather to buy it from the vendor and spend the next hour trying to find a goose out in the wild that would actually drop one.

Farming is just skinner box psychology and not game design. I would believe the farming in DeS and Bloosborne was a result of just the designers making poor design decisions that didn't work out as expected while HZD is just out and out blatant bad game design.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Available to pre-order.

Just pre-ordered the €80 version.
    https://store.playstation.com/en-ie/product/EP9000-PPSA01341_00-DEMONSSOULS00000

F1ngers wrote: »
    Available to pre-order.

Just pre-ordered the €80 version.
    https://store.playstation.com/en-ie/product/EP9000-PPSA01341_00-DEMONSSOULS00000

So weird that link doesn't work for me and can't search any ps5 or coming soon on my phone website.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

So weird that link doesn't work for me and can't search any ps5 or coming soon on my phone website.

Here's the coming soon section: https://store.playstation.com/en-ie/category/be9cf690-90de-4772-b09e-b327fc82c5c5/1, Demon's Souls is in the 5th row down.

• Advertisement

F1ngers wrote: »
    Here's the coming soon section: https://store.playstation.com/en-ie/category/be9cf690-90de-4772-b09e-b327fc82c5c5/1, Demon's Souls is in the 5th row down.

That just brings me to generic homepage with days gone banner. Switched to desktop site and the same. Searching demon's souls only shows ps3 version.

Ah tried Firefox instead of Chrome and i can see it now :)

Advertisement