Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Wut? Look, if these salty barstewards want to promote this chanel by giving it the oxygen of attention, i'm sure thats fine with the owners.

I guess we'll never know until they start whinging about cancel culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,363 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

And yet we have no threads that were started to extol the virtues of any left-wing channels. This is the only thread on the front page and it was started by some guy called MisterAnarchy. What even are the leftwing channels anyway?

BBC? C4? Sky? Or so some here would have you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Why is a self proclaimed right leaning news station needed. Surely it should just be a news station.

If UK media and Irish media so biased why have I heard a massive amount from the like of Nigel Farage over the years.
    The real blatant bias have been media outlets like the Sun, telegraph etc. UK seem pretty well served by right wing voices in the national discourse.

joe40 wrote: »
    Why is a self proclaimed right leaning news station needed. Surely it should just be a news station.

If UK media and Irish media so biased why have I heard a massive amount from the like of Nigel Farage over the years.
    The real blatant bias have been media outlets like the Sun, telegraph etc. UK seem pretty well served by right wing voices in the national discourse.

It isn't a news station. It is a rightwing mouthpiece

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

And yet we have no threads that were started to extol the virtues of any left-wing channels. This is the only thread on the front page and it was started by some guy called MisterAnarchy. What even are the leftwing channels anyway?

Maybe you misunderstand me. My point was that if this was a new left-leaning channel with so many amateur cockups, the posters currently gnashing their teeth about these cockups being laughed at would be the same posters doing the laughing themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I guess we'll never know until they start whinging about cancel culture.
    Cancel culture dosnt exist, surely?

Look, what i've seen so far is a crapfest, i cant believe they launched in that state. That said, no amount of pointing out the low hanging fruit of GB News will reverse brexit or the nosediving of the Labour party.

Why do people say right wing as if it were axiomatic, automatically a bad thing?

I cannot understand it.

What opinions which you hold are in danger of having "consequences"? Or are you careful to hold approved opinions?

I'll jump in here to answer this on my behalf. I've had discussions with acquaintances where I've pointed out that I wouldn't like a halting site near my house and been met with arguments about how travellers are discriminated against and so on. I'm a big boy though so rather than complaining about how I'm being cancelled I explained that while it's terrible that the discrimination exists. including from me, someone else can take up that fight for social justice. They don't like me and that's OK.

Cancel culture dosnt exist, surely?

Look, what i've seen so far is a crapfest, i cant believe they launched in that state. That said, no amount of pointing out the low hanging fruit of GB News will reverse brexit or the nosediving of the Labour party.

Nobody has claimed that it will. We're just laughing at the ****show.

eskimohunt wrote: »
    Why do people say right wing as if it were axiomatic, automatically a bad thing?

I cannot understand it.

you read something that wasn't there. My post was a statement of fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Nobody has claimed that it will. We're just laughing at the ****show.
    Which is fair enough, it is a compete ****show. Some much needed catharsis for yee.

I cannot understand it.

Most of us remember the 80s. You'll also note that the left isn't very popular these days. It's largest party only gets about a third of the votes. The two centre-right get around double that.

Most people are centrists and they're somewhat averse to communists and fascists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I cannot understand it.

For me the problem isn't right wing in the traditional sense, it will be all the identity politics that will go with it. They'll be sceptical about climate change, critical about green policies as a point of principal, I would guess critical of covid restrictions, anti EU, etc.
    These things aren't right wing they're just the position a station like this will take.
    Totally predictable without even pretending to have a balanced or nuanced view.

Which is fair enough, it is a compete ****show. Some much needed catharsis for yee.

no catharsis needed here but thanks for your concern.

joe40 wrote: »
    For me the problem isn't right wing in the traditional sense, it will be all the identity politics that will go with it. They'll be sceptical about climate change, critical about green policies as a point of principal, I would guess critical of covid restrictions, anti EU, etc.
    These things aren't right wing they're just the position a station like this will take.
    Totally predictable without even pretending to have a balanced or nuanced view.

As someone who liked the PDs. I agree. The current, self-identified right is a different kettle of fish compared to the sane right of old. It used to be about economics and maintaining the status quo. Now it's veering very close to conspiracy theory territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What we're seeing here is pure undiluted gloating that a new channel has teething issues, rather than any seriousness about the channel itself.

Its a bit hard to take them seriously when they have a segment on power outages and their roving reporter literally has a power outage on screen. They had no sound for Boris's big speech the other day either.

Im wondering where the £60m investment into this tv channel has gone because for tv broadcasters they seem to be having an awful lot of trouble actually broadcasting tv. At this stage it looks like they hired a load of unpaid interns to run their audio and visuals, it has been complete amateur hour. This isnt normal either, when Sky News launched it was a slick polished production from day one.

That's precisely because of your bias. I have no doubt in my mind you had no intent on taking them "seriously" to begin with, but you come on here as if that were your sole intention.

Give me, and the rest of us, a break.

You're gloating.

You want the channel to fail, fail, fail - no matter what, no matter how good or bad the production is or happens to be.

I absolutely would love to see it fail. It's right wing agitators trying to inflame. I absolutely am gloating too at the fact it's going terribly for them. Honestly the fact you're so defensive of it indicates that not even its own audience is confident in it. Great to see.

I absolutely would love to see it fail. It's right wing agitators trying to inflame. I absolutely am gloating too at the fact it's going terribly for them. Honestly the fact you're so defensive of it indicates that not even its own audience is confident in it. Great to see.

I want it to stick around for a while. At least long enough to see it evolve from whatever it is now to some kind of Infowars with 1550 696969 ladies and premium text stuff running through the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

What we're seeing here is pure undiluted gloating that a new channel has teething issues, rather than any seriousness about the channel itself.

Teething issues :pac:

It's joke after joke after joke

How things would be seen as different if the channel had a Left-leaning bias!

Ah boo fecking hoo, this is the same line that has been said over and over in this thread, I would be laughing at any "news" station that was having these issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The Guardian isn't a newspaper. It's a leftwing mouthpiece.

Channel 4 news isn't a newspaper program, it's a leftwing mouthpiece.

The left really has an ugly and fascist intolerance which is why the right is on the rise.

The left needs more self reflection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,074 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

The political left are atrocious, and yup, the left certainly need to do some deep sole searching

The Guardian isn't a newspaper. It's a leftwing mouthpiece.

Channel 4 news isn't a newspaper program, it's a leftwing mouthpiece.

The left really has an ugly and fascist intolerance which is why the right is on the rise.

Channel 4 and The Guardian have both broken plenty of major news stories. Channel 4 News in particular is incredibly well regarded in terms of its quality. GBN meanwhile does not break news, they run opinion segments... Within 3 days, they're already scraping the bottom of the barrel by inviting the likes of Laurence Fox on... It's admittedly entertaining to see the disaster it's turning out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭KildareP

How things would be seen as different if the channel had a Left-leaning bias!

I don't recall any professional, high profile channel launch having this level of teething issues.

Looking into the wrong camera, fumbling over words, not being 100% what's coming next, innocently reading e-mails from the likes of "Mike Oxlong" - they're all teething issues. They're all to be expected.

But the technical issues?
    It's really, really basic stuff to line up your audio levels, every broadcast desk has a prefade function that you can hear incoming audio from an outside link without it going to air in order to adjust it to be level so that when you do put it on air, it's the same volume level as studio. Yet practically every outside broadcast is, at best, significantly louder than the studio level, but more typically is so loud it distorts or simply has no audio at all.

PMQ's - it's a fully produced "ready to air" feed provided to broadcasters, all they do is switch the feed straight to air. Yet they were at least five minutes late getting that on air because of - you guessed it - audio issues and once they did manage to get it on air, the audio was barely audible.

Sound and vision going badly out of sync.

Numerous outside broadcasts, when the studio introduces them, it's a blank screen. Why would the tech ops put a bloody blank screen on air? Surely someone in the control room can see there's something wrong and let studio know and not simply switch to it and go "Oh? Hmm, no-one there".

Plus everything else: Typos in the banners, graphics randomly appearing on top of interviews, jumping to an ad break mid-discussion.

They're not teething issues, they're all the result of people who haven't a bloody clue what they're doing with the technology in front of them and appear to have done zero testing and preparation before going on air this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Im wondering where the £60m investment into this tv channel has gone because for tv broadcasters they seem to be having an awful lot of trouble actually broadcasting tv. At this stage it looks like they hired a load of unpaid interns to run their audio and visuals, it has been complete amateur hour. This isnt normal either, when Sky News launched it was a slick polished production from day one.

The big names likely negotiated security against their contract values to avoid being left to sign on if it goes under quickly. This would easily eat away at the starting capital.

Some bigger names left the old broadcasters to go to BSB in the late 80s only to be out on their ear when it merged with Sky and went downmarket. Memories are long in that industry

Marty Whelan ended up on the dole when Century Radio went under over here so it's not an uncommon concern

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Channel 4 and The Guardian have both broken plenty of major news stories. Channel 4 News in particular is incredibly well regarded in terms of its quality. GBN meanwhile does not break news, they run opinion segments... Within 3 days, they're already scraping the bottom of the barrel by inviting the likes of Laurence Fox on... It's admittedly entertaining to see the disaster it's turning out to be.

I didnt realise GMB was so funny , might need to rethink getting rid of cable :pac:

https://twitter.com/ScottRuth/status/1405057516548075521

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Hadron Collider

I absolutely would love to see it fail. It's right wing agitators trying to inflame. I absolutely am gloating too at the fact it's going terribly for them.

And yet the Broadcasters’ Audience Research Board (BARB) shows that it had 164,400 viewers on its first night, more than watched BBC News (133,000) and almost three times as many as Sky News (57,000).

Good Morning Britain has been haemorrhaging viewers since Piers Morgan left, and now more people are switching over to GB News.

The viewing public is tired of a steady diet of woke broadcasting and wants something different. GB News, the first news channel to launch in the UK in 24 years, is shaking up the cosy lefty cartel, filling a void, and pulling in viewers. Good for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

First night figures for a new station are meaningless

Its who is watching in a few weeks that's relevant.

And yet the Broadcasters’ Audience Research Board (BARB) shows that it had 164,400 viewers on its first night, more than watched BBC News (133,000) and almost three times as many as Sky News (57,000).

Good Morning Britain has been haemorrhaging viewers since Piers Morgan left, and now more people are switching over to GB News.

The viewing public is tired of a steady diet of woke broadcasting and wants something different. GB News, the first news channel to launch in the UK in 24 years, is shaking up the cosy lefty cartel, filling a void, and pulling in viewers. Good for them.

The viewing figures after a month or two are realistically more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,405 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

And yet , The main BBC 10pm News had 30 times that many tuning in. The stats had GB News with ~1% share and the main BBC 10pm News had a 30%+ share.

People just don't really watch pure "News" channels outside of the US.

~160k people watching out of a potential Adult audience in the UK of 25M+ simply isn't financially viable.

BBC News is a publicly funded Service , Sky News is run as a "loss leader" as the rest of the Portfolio (Sports , Entertainment etc.) more than covers the cost.

There is no money in a pure news channel , there just isn't.

A stand-alone News channel is a political vanity project , nothing more.

Now - A lot depends on what they have defined as "success" for themselves.

Maybe success for them means proving that the audience for their style of broadcasting exists and it pushes the other channels to carry the same type of stories more often - A "Right-wing , Anti-Woke Proof of Concept if you will.

Who knows.

Success won't mean profitability though , that's for sure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement