Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

We were supplying them before and the price was only 3.60/kg, they didn't set the price mad then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭roosterman71

The Chinese are out for everything and anything they can get their hands on and pay as little as possible. As good news as it is, I can't see it raising the price the factories here pay our beef farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭kk.man

I am far from in with Larry's agents. I'm just pointing out the obvious will I add they have cheaper options from south America and Oceania

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

After their big PR blitz, duly printed as fact by the farming media, it’ll be egg on the face of McConalogue and Bord Bia if there’s no price rise off the back of this.

But then such reality didn’t bother them after the same BS about access to USA, etc. markets, as pointed out above.

Pity the same farm media, or the farm reps, wouldn’t put a bit of pressure on them instead of doffing their cap. I see McConalouge is “keynote speaker” at an IFA bash in Thomand Park next week. What are the chances anyone asks him an awkward question at that and persists til he gives an honest answer?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I'm not saying you are. Apologies if it reads like that. My point was the reasons you gave sound like something that agents will be peddling out in the not too distant future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭Dickie10

yep they are fit for everything, but havent they been buying powdered baby milk from irish farmers for the last few years? is australian and nz beef price a long way behind irelands? they are closer but i wouldnt imagine they are that much less expensive to transport beef , its a fair journey from south island in nz to china.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,149 ✭✭✭✭Base price

The problem with China is they are heading into another pandemic with Covid. When we when through it over the past couple of years there was an imbalance on the location of shipping containers. Most were in the West and trade had more or less ceased with China due to the lock downs. It looks like trade with China will be minimal until they get Covid sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There will be a price rise as EU beef supplies are dropping. However it will have little to do with China. Feeding costs are horrendous so supply will tighten as we enter into March/April. It will be interesting to see kill figures over the next 3-4 weeks. As well wat h the factory return's as the price given for contracted cattle become visible.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Unless China starts buying significant volumes of mince or prime cuts this will have no impact on price.

The factories will make a few extra euro on the offal alright and that’ll probably be it. I think they were taking ribs as well or some part of the ribs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

@Cavanjack that's true they bought feck all of anything good the last time & if I remember correctly cattle couldn't from a feed lot or a heard that was restricted within the previous 12 months..

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Yeah they’d be fussy about what they eat alright 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Another mad conspiracy theory. Imagine if a publication peddled by a farm union was blatantly up the rump of a political party. Namely Fine Gael.

odd online articles aren’t behind a paywall but here’s one that puts the big numbers and the good news to the forefront for Martin Hayden and bord bia. China is the real deal,

however when you really pay attention to the ridiculously presented numbers you find that while Ireland exports over 400,000 tonnes of beef per annum. They hope to grow this market to 30000 tonnes. (And despite the bluster it’s brisket,shin,shoulder and neck cuts, trimming and offal ).

The Real Deal😆

edit to say this article has just went behind a paywall?

Post edited by Jjameson on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Bought some dairy x AA and HE heifers averaging 400kg back in the start of December they cost an average of €934. since they arrived they were fed 1kg meal and good quality ad-lib red clover silage..weighed them this morning and they are now an average of 425kg..Original plan was to store them until march and then kill off grass in june,With the current price im tempted to feed them 4kg meal for 90 days and kill them out of the shed,.currently meal is €430/ton..anyone in a simular situation thinking of doing the Same?

If you do slaughter them from the shed what would your carcase weight be? I'd say 270kgs so if there's a prime price of 5,40 how would that fair?...I'd always work backwards with winter finishers.

You bought them right anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

I would go with your original plan. Your achieving a great winter growth rate with the feeding you are giving them and they will be fine big carcasses come the end of May and that's usually the top price of the year too.

I could be wrong, but that's what I'm doing with my AA/HE's and they are over 500kg atm - they on silage only though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭White Clover

Fair going, Seem to be doing well. I presume you have allowed for the mart empty 400kg belly versus the maybe not so empty 425 kg belly? 30 days is a short enough period to get a handle on how cattle do, maybe weigh again in a month and compare to early December and make a decision then.

in saying that, cattle seem to be thriving very well at present. I was clipping a couple of pens last night and I was pleasantly surprised by how well they are doing. On good silage and 1.5kg beef nut.

I stay with original plan. The AA association is paying a 30c/ kg bonus from mid April to June 9th I think. Go online to there website and see can you book them.in.

Killing mid March at a base of 5.3 hanging 260 DW you are looking at 1400-1450.

Kill in June base 5.6 killing 280 kgs give a return of 1650-1700 euro.

Costs for either option will be fairly similar. IMO prices are only going one way for the next 6 months

Slava Ukrainii

Double-check the price of meal too. Seems to have jumped in the last week

Only thing is the spring grass demand here this spring is pretty high and silage supply's could run tight if I don't get out early due to weather,..can get 30c this minute for angus in dawn meats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,149 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Just be careful as the 30c will be eaten up by the fact that they will probably grade O=/- . IMO most dairy cross AAx/HEx heifers come into that range on the grid.

Angus bonus on anything 0- or better at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Heavy stock on fire at Roscrea this evening. On martbid there now. €3/kg and above for good Angus heifers from dairy herds.

I watched a few lots of 200-250kg bucket-reared weanlings being sold in Tipp twin mart today. Most of the AA made €3/kg and the HE weren’t far off it either

The store man is going to have to have deep pockets for the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

Stores have bee cheap for months now, do you think farmers magic them out of thin air on the morning they sell them.

They have and they have not. Costs are horrendous. For smaller finisher's rations are costing 450+/ton. With silage costs. Increased as well. Finishing costs are 4-5/day. For to put 120 kgs LW onto an animal is probably costing 500/ head. Add 500 euro to the price if any animal in a mart and wonder if there is a margin for the buyer

Slava Ukrainii

No I don't think the farmer does but that's the game I'm in. Just look at the lamb trade the store buyer is badly hit and thus will pass less onto the producer. Like Bass says does it pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,265 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Weanlings are cheap and finished cattle are cheap.

Costs are off the charts.

• Advertisement

Probably a good time for farmers capable of growing their fodder beet and own grain to finish their own cattle

Advertisement