Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Yeah, it was the paddocks with a bit of cover on them that grew well when the rain did come.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Prices seemed to be holding OK in Dungarvan (west Waterford) on Monday too. Plainer types like AA and HE, 400-450kg were all €2.30 upwards. Same for bullocks and heifers

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭kk.man

Sent a load during the week and asked the driver about supply...he said supply is starting to slow so much so that next few weeks could be very tight. I was amazed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,208 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Ya demand seems to be strong but while numbers are ok there seems to be no glut. I keep cattle moving but if there is a pull I would try to shop around

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭somewhat disappointed

How often should cattle be dosed for worms? I have regularly dosed them bought some cattle in May their thrive has been simply appalling I have given them I consider a good do since purchase with a shake of meal given daily. They are March 21 born cattle and my personal estimation is that they are short of 400 kg liveweight and not something anyone would express an interest in buying. They appear to be at a standstill in performance. What course of action should I take? Is it a guarantee that if they are being fed Meal that they are gaining weight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭White Clover

Have you any idea of what their mineral status is like? Or the historical status of your farm? My own farm is deficient in copper, iodine and selenium and I see a great thrive in stock once they’re getting enough minerals.

If they are getting meal all the minerals they need would be included in the meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Dung sample them regardless of any other dose you give in the meantime. That will answer questions

These are Hereford x bullocks out of Friesian Cows it would appear Friesian Bullocks may possibly have been a better purchase with a better thrive with less money tied up and a greater potential for profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭RockOrBog

Got some rib eye for the dinner in Eurospar, marked 29.99 a kilo. The farmers cut (no pun intended) has to go up or its all over. At least €6 or €7 a kilo.

• Advertisement

Stop looking at them so much.

They are not as bad as you think.

As said above, get a dung sample and talk to your vet about the results.

Call the local Farm Relief Service (or equivalent) and get someone out to weigh them. That’ll take the guesswork out of it.

Between the weights and the dung sample, you’ll have an idea of where they’re at. Come up with a plan then and get on with it. There’s only so much you can do for them.

Fluke?... there's a bit of it around this year. They be coughing with excision.

Also there could be Jersey blood there...those don't know the meaning of thrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭White Clover

From a shake of meal? I'd hardly account for it.

How much of a shake? 1kg of a good meal should cover any mineral deficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Conversations 3

What are the factories paying this week for FR bullocks in the south east?

Just over 30 months, average weight for age.

Selling a few through a dealer and not sure what I should be getting.

I am guessing 4.70 on the grid...I don't think they are particularly about over 30 months. I had a coupon my last load and it made no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

kilkenny type o= friesians I’d be asking 4.75 flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I always give cattle a shot of copper when I buy cattle or let them out in spring... I was saying it to my vet last when he was testing and told me to use the CoseIcure Bolus, as land in Meath is short some minerals. I am happy with how my young stock has done and will be using them again next year all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Conversations 3

"kilkenny type o= friesians I’d be asking 4.75 flat"

I'll be pushing for that, as they were meant to go last week.

Should I accept cattle that are bought in Marts which have no history of TB testing on their Cards or can these sales be thrown up? These cattle are sourced for me by an agent. PS is there a website I can use to check past TB testing history on animals that have already made it into my herd? Is it illegal to have animals on my holding which are more than 12 months since their last cleared TB Test? I would be thankful for any advice and/or information that you can give me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭epfff

They wouldn't be allowed to transfer out of herd/into herd if they over 12 months since clear tb.

The card is supposed to be stamped but I think its gone outa fashion. Cards don't mean anything anymore it's what is on the database that matters.

Wouldn't be that worried about them over 12 months since test they used to send me letter about them when sent for slaughter but haven't got the letter since covid. It was a total waste of resources as the cattle were gone and why they felt the need to waste paper and post to tell me I can never figure out.

If 20% of the herd is over 12 months since test they might stop sales to farms but can slaughter away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Jb1989

It's not a requirement to stamp the card anymore.

If they were not in test, the mart office would not let them through the ring.

If they are now in your herd, and your on agfood or herd watch, type in their tag and tb dates will show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭locha

Any quotes for next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭k mac

What would year old bucket reared angus heifers around 320kgs be worth. Out of brittish friesans

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭amacca

If they out of genuine British freisians then they should be worth a good bit more than the other sort that claim to be out of "British" freisians.

Which ain't too helpful but some buyers will be wary.

Are they decent shapely animals, blocky, straight back, growth, decent rear end? If so you'll do well, might be an idea to hold on to them if you can.

Can't say what I think they would make as the variation between Angus is .....broad.

Someone might put an upper and lower limit per kilo on it....is it mart or a lad calling to the yard?

I was watching the mart from Tipperary town yesterday and there was a few dairy-cross animals like that going thru the ring. It was a mixture of AA, HE, and LM mostly. Depending on shape and flesh cover, you could expect anything from €1.90 to €2.20 for those 320kg AA heifers.

What age are they? Younger ones (April/May born) seem to give a better chance of €2.20.

Gave them here this last two years too. Some lads say it an awful job giving them but a head scoop makes an easy job of it.

I wonder could the bolus be given to store cattle over the winter instead of minerals on top of the silage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Wouldn't fancy having to give them to bull.. I done stores around 500 kgs 1 or 2 were fun but the majority were grand, but a head scoop would leave it easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭older by the day

Why not sell them at the mart. I took a 4year old fr/mox for a neighbor. No board bia. Taller than myself. 955kg 2315 euro.

• Advertisement

Done over 100 yearling bulls in the spring, the scoop and anti backing bar made easy work of it. Left a few off without them that were contrary but majority were fine.

Advertisement