Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭kk.man

I genuinely don't think there's enough cattle in the system for a number of reasons. The farmer winter finisher is a thing of the past coupled with the cost of meal/silage. People put cattle in sheds last autumn with the sole intention of storing them. Live exports for the last couple of years have been strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭DBK1

Around the midlands flat prices are harder got now and where they are available they’re back 15-20 cent for the smaller seller.

Base price is only back 5 cent though and if you push hard there’s an extra 5 cent to be got from the hex or aax bonus so anyone with a mix of O= to R- grade hex or aax will still be averaging around the €5.50-€5.55 that the flat prices were achieving the past few weeks.

The poorer quality O- to O=/O+ loads will be taking a hit this week alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I’ve nothing ready at the minute it’ll be a month but if I see the agents number coming up on the phone this week to warn me that they are falling I’ll know they’ll rise in a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭grass10

Agree with you also if you notice in the marts for the last few weeks their have been big numbers of cows in particular the vast majority are going to the factory which puts the factory in control for last week and this week but this supply will dry up by next week as dairy farmers clear out surplus cattle every year in late jan/early feb

• Registered Users Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Prices are unlikley to collapse. You would be crazy to sell underfinished cattle especially if they were fairly efficient to feed. Factories are waiting for cattle to start coming out of sheds as they hit 100 days feeding there feed efficiency declines.

Price will be decided by what contracts processors have in place. Unless they are over committed to contracts they will hold prices. Its unlikely that they will pull too hard, however if they taught 10-15c/kg pull would flush out cattle they will do that

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Fine Day

I hope you are right, but I am a little optimistic on it. I know several people near me that will have stock fit over the next few weeks. Plenty of cattle to come out I'd say over the next month or so, and if not the factory will always pay what they want not what they are worth. Also worth noting supermarkets both here and across Europe are starting to drop prices for the consumer so that may influence prices too. Thankfully cattle this winter have been Abit cheaper to keep than last winter with the cut in meal, fertilizer, diesel prices etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 nearlybreak

Saw cows selling today granted very well fed and good cows but you’d want to be getting 5:50 a kg for them to go to a factory so I’d presume this price pull is just factories doing what they normally do and messing with farmers and one thing for certain in another few weeks all the dairy man’s cattle will be gone so dig deep this is only a blip

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭kk.man

There was literally a handful of bullocks in Thurles last week fit to kill. Can't vouch for the heifer or cow ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 nearlybreak

Yeah was at a few Marts in the last week hardly any strong bullocks or heifers and thst ain’t going to change

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Killed a simmental heifer last week. She was 33mths old, graded R= 3+. Got €5.10/kg for her. Thought it a poor price but no point crying about it now. I didn't get to speak to agent before hand. Had to move heifer very quick as she was becoming a real problem in pin.

• Advertisement

Any excuse to cut you for overage stock. Obviously not a bad animal as she grades well.

Had a few in myself this week, mixture of bullocks and heifers all O grades from the dairy sector. Averaged €5.30/kg ish out of the cheque. Think I was €5.55 flat price this time last year so a fair difference. Couldn't get a flat price this year from the two places I deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭limo_100

So would you be expecting cows to get a bit of a rise in march when this glut of cows clears?

Probably as their has been a huge amount of cows sold since Oct and for the first 6 weeks of this year a lot of marts have had record numbers of cows sold with the vast majority going to the factory that supply will have to reduce shortly

Unfortunately the processors have used the cows to keep the price down. Will the prices increase in the coming weeks?? I am very much sceptical. Cattle will start coming out from sheds from now on thus allowing the processors to keep prices down unfortunately.

Agree the cow supply has undermined the prime cattle price but we'll remain hopeful that when the cow supply reduce that their might not be enough young fed cattle to make up the defecit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Have a dozen HEX QA bullocks going to Larry next week...

What price should I be looking for...

5.15 base....20c Breed Bonus?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Larry usually only pays 10c bonus on HE cattle. Not sure if the base is that high but have not sold cattle in over a month

Slava Ukrainii

Im actually now hearing of a pull from the factories next week back to €5...

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭farm to fork

I got 5.15 Base for Continental Heifers and got 5.40 flat for White Heads this week in a Midlands Factory. There a run of cows going through the factories at the moment and they are trying to pull prices.

Shop around don't ever commit to providing cattle to a company without first agreeing a price look for a flat price for your Herefords this week cow numbers are dropping in the marts, supply is turning in our favour also the heavy bulls going live for the next 2 weeks is a big help

• Advertisement

I got 5.05 base and 15c breed bonus for a dozen HEX bullocks from larry today....

If anyone else is getting more..good luck to you....

Got 5.10 for continental’s last week. Not sure if it was there this week though

5.10 for heifers and 5.05 for bullocks next week I am told. No major issue getting them in if I wanted to go, have a few to go but there are only there or there abouts so will hold out for another 2 weeks to crown them, will see what way the trade be then. With abit of luck they might be up 5 or 10 cents again.

Agent called to the yard yesterday to see had we anything to go. I wasn’t about so got no price. Any further updates on prices? Is there a squeeze coming or it that wishful thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭1373

Would be a quick turnaround if there was a tightening coming but there seems to be àn over supply at the moment . Nitrates seems to have lads selling as early as possible

No over supply at the moment the extra cow supply for the last 6 weeks is more or less finished if you look at any marts for the last week their has been a major drop in beef cattle lots of stores but very little beef and if cattle are not in marts they are not in the factory either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Hardly an over supply of agents are calling to yard’s looking for stock??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭893bet

Couple of short kill weeks coming up which helps them keep a lid on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭1373

Without sounding like a factory agent, the kill is up 21000 cattle so far this year. And if they were that scarce, then prices wouldn't be gone backwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Last year was a bit different due to very high meal prices going into the winter and for most of the winter. They were really caught short and the feedlots couldnt fill the hole quick enough from late November 22 to Feb 23.

Very little chose the finish cattle at the start of winter 22 but changed their minds as the winter went on

Advertisement