Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You dodged a bullet. A friend who worked in a games store said they had thousands of copies as it was the next game from rockstar after gta3. Turned out to be a stinker and most of the copies that were bought were brought back and had to be all dumped eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

That game had massive hype and advertising. Was posters of it up all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Lemmings, Oh No! More Lemmings and Lemmings 2.

Who owns the rights to those games now anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Niska

Sony own the trademark (via their purchase of the now defunct Psygnosis)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Speaking of crap games that were returned, this was the first game I ever brought back, thing was damn near unplayable. The Crow - City of Angels on PS1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

This is really only the 4th release of GTA V that is upcoming.

Gen 7 consoles (PS3, Xbox 360)

Gen 8 consoles (PS4, Xbox One)

PC (Steam, R* Store, Epic)

Gen 9 consoles (PS5, Xbox Series X|S)

I wouldn't count the individual machines in each gen, but that's just me 😊

PS, the only platform I don't own GTA V on is Steam 😬

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Only ever returned two games, Kane and Lynch and The Darkness.

Kane and Lynch was awful shite. Looked like a budget PS2 game, the story was just nasty and downbeat, it played like ****. I was hoping for a spiritual successor to the excellent Freedom Fighters. Garbage.

The Darkness I just don't get the love for. It's pure teenage angst, it has some interesting ideas but ultimately it's a meh shooter with the worst AI I've seen in a contemporary shooter.

I've a lot of other bad games, I still have a copy of Legend of Dragoon and a PAL copy to make it doubly worse, but I hang on to them for the comedy value and Legend of Dragoon to remind myself how much I hate everything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

2007 was a while ago but IIRC the writing was on the wall about Kane and Lynch wasn't it? I expected it to be awful and the reactions to it pretty much confirmed it. At least we got the whole Gamespot controversy out of it, which was highly amusing.

Well IO had just come off some incredible Hitman games culminating with the classic Blood Money and Freedom Fighters was so much fun.

I remember thinking that graphically it looked awful but I saw it used the same gameplay systems as Freedom Fighters so on release after seeing all the negative reviews I went out to the shop to pick it up saying to myself '**** those reviewers, they don't know ****. It looks awful but I bet it's a hidden gem that plays great'.

It was poundland Freedom Fighters.

Actually it was worse. It had the same gameplay systems as FF but the non-linear objectives were gone replaced with a sprint down a corridor to the end and there was none of the interesting FF level design that had you flanking the enemies. The reviewers were right.

So by that it's been ported more than Skyrim - Gen 7, 8, PC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

You forgot Skyrim VR. And maybe the portable versions count.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I got this from Wiki, but Skyrim's releases are marked as "PC & Gen 7", "Gen 8" and "Switch". That's only the 3.

There are of course various editions of Skyrim, which then puts it out in front of GTA V 😁

Don't forget Skyrim on Alexa

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

No rumours of a Bully remaster, no? It was always one I wanted to play but never got round to.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It'd be nice if they fixed the game-breaking bugs that affected the base game. I was never able to play past about a third of the game.

Ah ffs. Annoying.

In other remaster news, Life Is Strange: Remastered Collection has been delayed until next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

They 'updated' their trademark in May apparently, so there are rumours of a remaster/ remake/ sequel.

I have really good memories of Bully, loved it. Great world building, hilarious quests, great music. Great game.

I'm not a big fan of rockstar games. I find them good but now are classics. The exception is Bully. I thoroughly enjoyed it and it's far and away my favourite rockstar game. That and the warriors are my two favs but bully is way ahead of the warriors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

• Advertisement

Man a Warriors remake would be awesome!

No, I like the games. Just the older ones are a little dated and the later ones single player mode I find lacking as it's lost the craziness that made the old GTAs so interesting. I like the games, well other than the base GTA4 game, it's just I don't love them as much as everyone else.

Red Dead 1 I much prefer over GTA. Red Dead 2 is a pile of shite.

New game for jet set radio fans.

Looks great and nailed the look.

Now Sega just need to rerelease jet set radio future.

So this is one way to announce the formation of a new game studio I guess;

OTHERWORLDLY GAME DEVELOPMENT

EYES OUT is a new arthouse game development studio in Los Angeles, forged from a fusion of visionary exploration and musical collaboration between veteran game designer Cory Davis (Spec Ops: The Line) and Robin Finck (Nine Inch Nails). The team is comprised of passionate world-builders and storytellers who believe in the powerful synesthesia that emerges from music, narrative, and interactive experiences.

Could be weird and cool, or weird and pretentious.

Kotaku say multiple sources tell them gta 3, VC, and SA being remastered in the final stages. They'll be a mix of old and new graphics but try stay as close to the ps2 classics as possible. That doesn't sound too good, the combat in those games will be incredibly hard to use after the advancements we're used to. I get a remake of each game would be fairly vast project but if it's just an upscale, will be fairly disappointing. Will see how this plays out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You’d be surprised what a few tweaks to controls etc… can make. The combat in the PS2 GTA games is obviously of its time, but just adjust it slightly to suit modern sensibilities and controller layouts and it’d be much better than going back to the original releases. Also wouldn’t fancy them shoving the modern Rockstar gunplay mechanics in there, as crude and basic as the OG trilogy is.

Remasters are a fine art - making a game that feels true to the original while adjusting it for modern tastes is a balance very easy to get wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Ugh, I thought it'd be the trilogy redone with modern graphics.

I have little to no interest in remasters "trying to stay as close as possible to PS2."

• Registered Users Posts: 21,342 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I played a bit of San Andreas on the PS5 (obviously there was no improvement and it was pretty much just a slightly touched up version of the PS2 game) and you’d be surprised how well it holds up. Yeah coming from GTA 5 to this is going to be a bit jarring at first, but I ended up finding there were a lot less frustrations with San Andreas than I expected.

Of course we all hoped for a fully remastered trilogy with all the bells and whistles, but I’m still happy with what they’re going to give us.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

If it's only a slight graphical improvement, I'm out. I want a proper remake of them. Or at least the same level of effort EA put into the ME Trilogy or the Spyro/Crash remasters. I've tried a few remasters and if they still look "old", I just can't stick with them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement