Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Game News 2.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,201 ✭✭✭✭Penn

This is bollox. I'd hope they're going to be releasing their own proprietary expandable storage (with heatsink if necessary) too, as I'd rather not have to dick around with that crap myself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sure just get a PC. Far less hassle.

I get the feeling that only the internal SSD is configured for direct access while the expandable one isn't. Understandable from a cost perspective but still pretty stupid as this was bound to be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,774 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The Xbox idea of the expandable storage is looking like a better idea now and probably not much of a difference in price either.

I did just get a new PC, and a 144Hz monitor. And one thing is for damn sure...

I can't use kb/m for sh*t....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The control choice of kings and legends.

I only really use kb/m for FPS and TPS. Using a pad for them is just absolute dirt in comparison once you get used to kb/m. Most other game types though I'd use a gamepad.

It doesn't take long to get used to. When I was convincing my friends to use it I told them to play the first episode of Quake with it. By the end you'll never go back.

Keep the mouse speed slow. you'll speed it up naturally once you are used to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

It's cheaper. The first ssd that is confirmed to be compatible with the PS5 is the Firecuda 530, which costs $255 for a 1tb stick without a heat sink.

Of course there will be cheaper drives that are compatible but I expect prices to be around the $250/1tb mark for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Ah, proprietary storage. Always works out so well for Sony. Say "Hi" Vita

So this just gets worse and worse. The ridiculous backpedalling is insane. They are saying it's the Cosby room because the outdated decor of the hotel room matches Cosby's outdated sweaters and it's just a Green room for staff. Who the hell do they think is going to swallow this ****? Ex-staff member and head of Riot games is now defending them as well so you just know he is up to his nuts in whatever went on here as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I want to believe this is going to be a watershed, but I have no faith this will yield anything except a few corporate wraps on the knuckles, "demotions" into incubation studios away from the limelight, and any discontent or muttering over unionisation stamped out with abandon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I want to believe this is going to be a watershed, but I have no faith this will yield anything except a few corporate wraps on the knuckles, "demotions" into incubation studios away from the limelight, and any discontent or muttering over unionisation stamped out with abandon.

• Advertisement

It's the other hand I'm struggling with. Decided to play RE3:re as I'd already bought it on steam last year to try playing on PC (during first lockdown) but never followed through.

Mouse hand is aim, point, shoot and interact. Easy. KB hand is move (4 buttons), sprint, dodge, inventory, quickturn and reload. I ain't got that many fingers! I'm having to throw left pinkie in there!

Guessing I need a mouse with more buttons and map some to that.

Game does look great though. I did knock down the graphic settings a bit to see what 120fps was like but wasn't really worth it when I can get 1080p 60fps with really high settings on everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,774 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Get yourself a Logitech G503 Lightspeed if you want lots of buttons.

You'll find a config you like soon enough. I usually have movement on the left. Shift and cntrl for walking or duck. Tab for map or inventory. Right is action buttons. E for use. R for reload. Then you have everything else for other stuff like weapon quick changes flashlight, grenades. Space for jump.

Mouse wheel is great as well for weapon selection or stance change.

I suppose I started with quake with no real action buttons and games got more complex with my own competence with the controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Its on sale now so get it before its taken off the store & gamepass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

^^

The ultimate Edition is now €19.99. I think that includes everything, i'm open to correction. It has before for me on the Horizon games 🙂

Forza 7 🙂🤌

• Registered Users Posts: 11,619 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Wet weather effects in FM7 are amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just catching up on Annapurna Showcase from last night, I feel like they just get me. Everything looks and sounds just lovely. Also, that's how you talk to your audience and not like "Wow look at this new game we're about to show. I know this is gonna be my favourite game ever. Oh you got that right, just try stop me playing this game" That EA showcase was really hard to listen to.

Artful Escape looks like a mix of OlliOlli and Bill & Ted, I need to try it. A Memoir Blue looks like it will hit like a bus, really interested to see/hear more.

Jessica Mak definitely has my attention! Solar Ash looks incredible. Holy ****, creators of Stanley Parable and Gone Home have made a new studio together. I'm still waiting to even play the Stanley Parable but I can't wait to see what Ivy Road has planned..

Top it off with Stray and Outer Wilds DLC, Goddamn I love Annapurna.

The rather lush looking Eastward had a 25 minute demo released, showing off it's action RPG mechanics and rather fetching art style.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Activision not content with only putting two feet in it, they've thrown in the whole body.

• Advertisement

I mean, at least we can see their true colours. The question really pivots back to: do The Gamers™ care (enough) to put their money where their tweets are? Cos this all becomes meaningless if the Diablo 4 trailer causes paroxysms of hype, or the next Call of Duty sells like the last. It's easy for me to pontificate cos I don't actually play any AB games so I'm safe to blather, but for the customer base, genuine disgust should manifest with the only way it can punish the corporation. Same goes games media; all the tut tutting won't mean squat if they're at the next AB junket, writing puff pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

That Activision blizzard VP was one of the people shortlisted to be director of the FBI, and most of her prior roles were one intelligence agency or another. Pretty sure her views on whistle-blowers are coming from a slightly different place.

But I'm sure it's won't all be just another whiny minority tweeting a lot about something that the majority don't care about, same as with the voice actors sagaftra strike that broke records but then just accepted what they were offered in the first place.

I think it's a bit cheap to draw equivalence between a corporation's institutional (sexual) abuse and paper tigers moaning about dedicated servers 10+ years ago. I'd like to think many / some might find this all a bridge too far about ok behaviour, especially as workplace/sexual abuse is a fairly relatable, depressingly everyday poison; but wouldn't be so bold to say this is just a "whiny minority". I don't expect miracles but wouldn't demean the issue either.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Whatever about customers boycotting, why don't stores boycott? The likes of Steam, amazon, etc. They have no problem refusing to sell games at other times but have they ever done it for such big sellers as CoD?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Most of the big publishers already have their own platform. Battle.net, Origin, Uplay.

Physical sales are already the minority, and for steam it'd be an own goal with most of the ire directed at them compared to when the publishers made their content own platform only.

Them being a bunch of hypocrites helps, they don't take moral stances when it actual costs them anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Apparently she has now started blocking the Activision Blizzard employees on Twitter who responded to that. I mean...

I won't deny, I had been wondering if the woman from the 2010 viral WOw video knee she had become "famous". Turns out, via to an interview with kotaku, she was, albeit belatedly as she isn't on Twitter. Haven't finished the article yet but that she chooses to stay anonymous says a lot IMO.

Read that earlier, good interview. Interesting she still went for a job with Blizzard and made it past multiple rounds but as she says, bullet dodged. Interesting how one of them came out with a half arsed apology for it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Take-Two confirmed in an earnings call that they'll be revealing a new IP in the next few weeks. Hoping its Marvel/XCOM and that we get to see it at Gamescom.

• Advertisement

J. Allen Brack leaving Activision-Blizzard

Remains to be seen if he's just the biggest head they could cull in order to try and show they're doing something, or if more will follow. Could also be a case that he left on his own accord as I'm sure he knows his name will always be linked to what's happened whether he was responsible or not.

Follow-up tweet from Schreier has someone from AB saying Brack left to pursue other opportunities.

Advertisement