Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

The only reason you shouldn't be able to match the current consoles with a €1000 pc is if you've gone with an AM5 socket processor, it's about €230 on AM5 to start getting into the reasonable motherboards.

Even at that you can build a pc with a Ryzen 7 7800x3D and an rtx4060 for about €1200 if you get a cheap case, pare down on ram and go for an air cooler instead of an AIO.

I recently spent €1500 on one with a R9 7950x, rtx4070 and 64gb of ddr5 6000. Nzxt h7 for the case, a rm800x for the psu, 1tb crucial p5+ ssd and an Arctic FreezerII 240 AIO. The mobo is a Gigabyte Aorus Gaming AX B-650.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,835 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

A B550 and a 5800X3D should be less than €400 now. Add an RX7800XT for €500 and you've a very very strong starting point for a PC which should last for a long time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

In fairness back when the PS5 came out it was a bit more expensive to get a PS5 beating PC. 3000 series cards were just out and impossible to find but you could get a good 2000 series second hand which would get you on par or above a PS5 and a 3000 series would wipe the floor with the PS5.

You'd need ram, a case, a psu and some cooling on top of that so you might need a lower gpu to keep it under €1000 if starting from scratch.

You'd be better off going AM5 if you can afford it though but as I mentioned in my accidentally deleted comment(what I get for trying to fix a typo) the decent AM5 motherboards are still a lot more expensive than AM4. If going AM5 don't bother with an ASUS motherboard unless you get a ROG, all their non ROG motherboards are overpriced and underspec in comparison to the other 3 manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,607 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

470 euro for a PS5 at the moment. The all bells all whistles fidelity HDR RT 40 FPS mode in Spiderman 2 is pretty special. I'd say the pro would pump that up to 60 FPS (I still stick with the 60 FPS performance option in games).

Avoid digital games and subs and online if you can, and sell physical games when you are really done with them. Probably the cheapest way to game at that level of quality at the moment ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Cordell

Even at MSRP prices an equivalent PC would have been around and over 1K when PS5 launched, but that was 4 years ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,128 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Also worth remembering there was a string of uniquely poor PC ports last year: between the cost of entry and the shaky quality of some releases, I definitely think the consoles have had a surprisingly robust showing relative to PC. Even problems like shader compilation stutter seemed substantially worse on PC. Kinda funny that it was PlayStation titles that had surprisingly competent ports on PC (for the most part, with exceptions like TLOU) compared to most multi-platform efforts.

It’s only really with the advent of UE5 and a handful of ambitious titles that PC is getting a very clear, game-changing performance gap again - especially given the shite FSR on consoles. Obviously a lot more to PC than that though, like its versatility and impossibly vast library.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Linus did a "PS5 beating pc build" video recently. They had a bunch of second hand and free parts to get within the price. And they still concluded that the PS5 is still the best bang for your buck and will be for another year or two.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It would be more expensive but not by a whole lot. I'd also take into account that you've to pay a subscription to play online and the games are about 10% more expensive.

It's not really that far off.

Games are way more than 10% more expensive. I got Helldivers 2 for €28 about a week after launch and it was €40 on PS5.

Your PC isn't just for gaming either, you can use it for work etc so has more than one function.

• Advertisement

And using grey market sites like cdkeys and instantgaming makes PC gaming even more cost effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭PixelPlayer

If the Pro specs ate true then I don't think anyone will regret buying one or wishing they built a PC instead.

But a good reason for owning a PC is to play old games on Ultra settings. Something that is not possible on a console without remastered versions and with Sony that means buying the same game twice.

My only wish is that this is finally, finally, finally the death of 30fps in gaming. I will not hold my breath.

Will be interesting to see what Sony's AI upscaling is like. Sony's got some good engineers and some of their innovations in post processing have become industry standards.

It'll be an unlockable feature behind the new ,€200 ps plus supreme tier 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Gigabyte B550M DS3H: €90.86

Corsair RM750x: €113.59

Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE: €36.79

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32Gb DDR4 3600: €78.45

Empire Gaming Onyx + 4 fans: €72.35

Total: €392.04 + €22.83 delivery

Inno3D RTX 3060 Twin X2 12GB: €298.61

WD_Black SN770 1Tb: €72.38

Ryzen 7 5800x 3.8Ghz: €210.56

Total: €582.45 + €19.99 shipping

Overall total: €1017.31, or 2 PS5's.

Ye will never convince me PC gaming is cheaper overall. Plus, the PS5 doesn't have any of the messing about and issues that PC gaming has, considering all the different parts and compatability issues, then you've to spend x amount of time figuring out the best settings for your set up. You'd nearly need a college degree to understand the modern graphics options, the effect they have, etc. It's just so much easier to download, pick performance (or quality for some reason) and play. It either works or it doesn't.

Yeah, PC gaming would be great if you're into it. But there's no trading in. I can buy a new PS5 game for ~€70, play it, finish it and trade it in for ~€35-45. Might get the same game on PC for €40 around release, but no trading in, so overall more expensive (I play 99.9% of games once). The €80 "subscription to play online", otherwise known as PS+, gives you min 24+ free games a year with that sub, or about €3.33 per game, and you can't tell me PC gamers haven't bought games they'll never play just because it was cheap/part of a bundle. And I'd have a very high liklihood of turning into one of those PC Masterwan Masterace douches, and to keep up with that farce costs a lot more money.

Look, PC gaming works for some, not for others. I could be a PC gamer, but console gaming is far more relaxing, easier, less stressful and far more suitable for me. I built the PC to learn UE5 and maybe someday make a game, so I might have been able to make a more gaming focussed one for the same/cheaper money, but any Google search for a "PC equivalent to a PS5" is coming in near or over €1k, or double the price of a PS5. I don't care the PC can do more, one may not have need for more. Specifically for gaming, PC's are more expensive.

Oh, and if we're adding in the cost of subs services to consoles, then make sure to add the cost of antivirus and other software to keep your PC protected. Nod32 was €40 for the year, so half the price of the sub but no free games...

Epic gives away 60 free games a year. Zero cost. Steam, GOG and others also do the same but not as many.

I wouldn't count on being able to trade in games long term either. Only CEX left now and because they're the only show in town the trade values might start to fall. Saying that it's actually getting harder to buy physical games in shops now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

This is an awfully dull pissing contest all the same lads. The same old points being used to try and convince those whose starting position is "You'll never convince me.....".

Steam OS on a PC will settle the argument. Self build console-esque PCs.

When will that be ready ? I'd say a load of wrinkles have been ironed out with SteamDeck.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

In an attempt to redirect the thread away from the typical pc/console comments go, I tried to get some actual gaming news and I just so happened to find news that a company called Playtron is attempting to create a linux based OS for mobile pc gaming platforms to use. So, unintentionally related:

So, SteamOS but open to everyone and attempting to do an Xbox with it by having it installable on any device, not just gaming tablet thingys. Early days for the consolification of PCs yet. Mobile gaming doesn't interest me in the slightest, so this is still not something that would tempt me away from standard consoles.

• Advertisement

That should be way out performing a PS5 and that's not even taking into account DLSS.

Ye will never convince me PC gaming is cheaper overall

wasn't trying to because it clearly isn't, my question was why is your 1K PC not exceeding PS5 performance, and that's because you got a 3060 at today's 4060 price. Even so, it's close enough, but with better raytracing performance.

After being removed from Steam a few years ago Alpha Protocol is now available again on PC from GOG.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A perfect example of that era of gaming when you had these Rough Diamonds; games whose jank almost rendered them unplayable yet if you muscled through, it yielded a great time.

It also has Nolan North playing against type and putting in by far his best performance.

New improved search coming to Xbox. While many software companies have implemented search functionality effectively for decades, it takes an artificial intelligence to sort out the mess on xbox.

Show me couch co-op games..."I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,902 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Who needs SQL against a tiny game database when you have AI !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,128 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There’s a certain irony in seeing former Kotaku writers reporting on the slow-motion collapse of their former employer:

What I don’t get - and it’s the same with The Escapist and various other once prominent sites that have pivoted to mindless ‘content churn’ - is what the owners expect to happen here. Surely there isn’t much or any profit to be had in low-quality, low-engagement traffic and the continued thrashing of once successful sites? Just the internet equivalent of stripping a car for parts.

Advertisement