Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,830 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It'll be ~€600 I'm guessing, and trading in the PS5 will probably net around €300, so €300 for an upgrade isn't bad 3 years later. I recently spent €1k on a pc which probably doesn't compete with the standard PS5. Consoles are still better value for me, and with the sub services I'm saving a bomb on games I'd usually take a chance on buying. So €300 every 3/4 years to stay up to date with the best consoles have to offer isn't expensive at all.

CEX currently offering €328 cash for the disc model, €428 if it's the newer slim disc model. Having to buy initially is the biggest offput, being able to trade one in for the next with a trade up bonus was always going to be better, but at least I'll get something back. As above, I'm expecting it'll cost around €300 after trading in. Still great value as I pointed out above imo.

I'd assume 4K/60 is the standard target for the Pro with 2K/120 being the showcase effort, and I'll be happy with that, as long as I have the choice. I have the 4k 120Hz tv, I'm part of approximately 20% of tv owners who have that currently, but it's going to be the norm in a few years. I'm lucky to be able to jump in at this stage, and have a future proof 4K/120fps capable tv for when that becomes the norm, and when I'll no longer be in the 20% as they probably have an 8K tv by then.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Current PS5 still sells for €470, and I doubt that Sony will drop the price on it at all. €650 to €700 would be my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭recyclops

Look forward to the brilliant free tech demo they throw with it and then having no other reason to turn it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

For the Sony fans here, what would be the price point that would make you say no, thats actually too much for an upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I think it will come in at €599 with the disk or €529 for digital.

For me to say no, I think €699 or above is too much for a mid season refresh. I also need to see the real upgrade. They can talk all they want about teraflops but what's the real upgrade to gameplay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

700 is punchy alright - but thought the DS edge was ridiculous and it’s still selling, so could be in the minority

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I honestly use my PS5 so little, I don't think I'll bother. I have a Series X for Game Pass, a Steam Deck for everything else and my PS5 is pretty much just a Final Fantasy/Bloodbourne machine because I'm tired of Sony's cookie-cutter AAA third-person adventure games.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,279 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It depends. I might pick one up just to get the disk version, as my current PS5 is digital only, and I've no way to play blurays or anything. Not that I do a lot, but it'd be nice to have the option. I doubt I'd go above 600 for a PS5 Pro disk version though. If it was more than that I feel like I'd probably hold off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

As expensive as the Edge is its pricing is still in line with its competitors. Though the pricing of some of its competitors is hampered by them needing to cannibalize a DS due to Sonys anti competitive practices wrt controllers.

Post edited by sniper_samurai on

Sony has their fans, but I too would be in the 700 being too much club. I'd probably still end up getting it, but I'd be unhappy for a while. Sony makes good products, regardless of personal opinions. The Edge and Portal prove that. And I still don't understand people saying there's no games. There is, there's plenty and they're mostly great. Opposite to comments, I haven't touched my Xbox since November. Each to their own and all that.

A new console from Sony, be it mid gen or new gen, is an exciting time for me as a gamer. They make consoles and games I really enjoy so regardless of everyone's else's opinion, I'm excited for the future, and not just this mid-gen refresh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,128 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’ve no major interest in a Pro despite playing my PS5 all the time. But I’m glad to hear they’re investing in proper upscaling tech. Image quality and resolution is definitely a problem facing current consoles at the moment for certain engines and titles (though sometimes down to dev decisions) - like FF7 Rebirth and UE5 titles. So something more akin to DLSS would be very welcome. Though it’ll be a shame if it’s locked behind a premium console.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

As much as I like Alan Wake 2 I have to admit it looks terrible on consoles, especially when video elements are involved. The FSR just obliterates Herald of Darkness with upscaling artifacts, makes half the screen look like a low res corrupted divx than HD video.

Post edited by sniper_samurai on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,128 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah the FSR being used on the consoles is a gen or two behind what’s happening on PC at the moment, even without ray-tracing and even on the AMD side. I reckon it’s the main thing separating PC from consoles at the moment (as a lot of people still play ‘RTX off’), as it’s basically what’s allowing a lot of PC games to scale beyond console performance levels.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I really don't like how FSR looks. I find Tears of the Kingdom a much uglier game than Breath for the Wild because of the FSR.

I definitely notice artefacts and shimmering with DLSS too (things like light ghosting on movement), but the general image quality and clarity are several steps above and at best imperceptibly close to native res.

Though given rasterisation performance has fairly plateaued it seems relying on upscaling is the only way games like Alan Wake 2 are able to push advanced tech. Which is a problem for consoles when it comes to the more demanding current games. At least Sony’s first party games have a record of being extremely well optimised for the PS5: would in many ways rather a game like SpiderMan 2 runs as well as it does even when some aspects of the tech aren’t cutting edge. It’s third party games like the recent Final Fantasy ones where you see the devs hitting up against performance or image limitations.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭PixelPlayer

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭PixelPlayer

AI upscaling? So just regular upscaling then. Are people seriously gullible enough to believe there is going to be an artificial intelligence controlling upscaling? It's things like this that remind you we're in a tech bubble.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's machine learning not AI but AI is a better sell. So yeah basically just an algorithm that's been trained.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 23,114 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Have no idea why you'd want to shell out for a pro.

My PS5 (and I presume everyone's) runs like a mouse. No hoover sounds like the PS4.

Games load very quickly.

And if a game can run at 60FPS, it runs at 60FPS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭recyclops

It's the apple model, incremental improvements even though the apps etc will all run on the old model.

Sony know people will upgrade so there is no downside to doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

It'll be interesting to see how demanding GTA6 is, and also what kind of marketing deals they have in place with Sony. It's the one title that would convince a lot of people to shell out for a console upgrade, especially if there's a marked boost in performance over a standard PS5.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

In other PS news, PSVR2 production halted due to a gult of them unsold throughout the supply chain. Plenty of reasons why it's not selling, just seemed like Sony pushed it out to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I'll be more than willing to pick up a ps5 once this comes out as I'm sure there will be plenty of people selling to upgrade.

That's part of the reason for the upgrade I reckon, the extra power would allow more games to release with a 60fps mode. I'm sure they can do it now, but it wouldn't look as good as they would like, not that we would care as long as it was a stable 60fps. But this will make it possible without the excuse of it looking worse. Right now, I'm waiting on Pacific Drive and Dragons Dogma 2 to have stable 60fps modes before I purchase. No doubt more to come, and the Pro should ensure it's possible on release without having an impact to quality. Again, it's probably possible now but games are still releasing without the option and there should be no excuse with a Pro. And other games that have released with a 60fps mode will now be able to release a stable 60fps mode, Insomniac/Sony Santa Monica aside. The PS4 Pro came out exactly 3 years after the PS4, so we're running behind now.

For me and my interests, it's a no brainer. More power should mean more options for me, and that's really all I care about. I've invested in a 4k 120hz OLED, I'd like to use it and 30fps looks horrendous on it so having a console that should guarantee at least 60fps will mean I get a better experience. I do appreciate games looking stunning, but I much prefer a smoother gameplay and am willing to take the graphical hit for that. The Pro should mean I don't have to take the graphical hit and may even get more 120fps modes in games, which would be a bonus. That's something I'd be willing to take a hit graphically if available on the Pro. Turn into a right fps snob then.

Still cheaper than PC gaming...

Not really cheaper. Two machines which at best will have set you back 900 euro and a 80 ish euro a year subscription for the privilege of playing online and you are hitting gaming PC territory.

I just spent over 1k on a pc which probably doesn't compare in power to the PS5 due to the GPU. You can't tell me it's cheaper for the same level.

You got had if you spent that much on a PC that couldn't match a PS5. I did say getting into gaming PC territory when you factor a plus subscription. I had to get a top of the range GPU due to the bit coin craze but the PC I built specifically to be better than a PS5 comes close to what those two PS5s and a subscription costs and I'm also factoring in the resale cost of the normal PS5.

If I'd been able to get a more reasonable GPU it would be cheaper again. I've also no intention of upgrading my PC for a long while as it's still going great and will more than likely out perform the pro.

There's hidden costs to factor in, stuff like the subscriptions and higher price of games add up over time. I still think consoles represent a great value proposition but it's also not too far off a self built PC if you want to play online.

I do think PC gaming has become more expensive if you want to build a machine that can handily outclass console performance in the most technically advanced titles, mainly due to GPU prices (due to NVIDIA’s increasing dominance in the space). It’s the first console generation in a while where the tech actually felt fit for purpose, and in some regards was ahead of PC (such as SSD speed). They actually offer pretty good performance vs value.

But at this stage in the gen the cost of the consoles hasn’t dropped, some games are stress-testing them, and the latest gen GPUs will handily outpace consoles - especially with DLSS, path tracing and the like offering much better image quality and performance for the most cutting edge titles on PC. But always worth remembering that for 90% of PC games that level of power is not needed.

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Cordell

I'm curious, which GPU? Because today a properly balanced 1K PC should exceed console performance.

Advertisement