Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apprenticeship rates are just depressing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

listermint wrote: »
    Why would you get a degree apprenticeship in a country that is leaving all mutual qualification recognitions in two months time. That would be a bad idea.

you're assuming the person taking it wants to use a degree elsewhere.

lots of international companies with plenty of room to move internationally... even with Brexit..

it won't be a case either that UK qualifications become defunkt over night.... might be a bit more leg work getting stuff recognised if you do come back to Ireland, but it won't be worthless.... if that's the case you're going to have a lot of trouble in boarder areas...

Washington Accord supersedes a lot of treaties also... which makes the Brexit argument null and void for technicians and engineers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 Carter D

Has anyone ever lied about there age on there CV.
    Few people have said to me you dont have to put your age in your CV

Also do you have to wear mask on the job now as I would say that would be hard while doing a trade compared to sitting in and office surrounded by people.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Carter D wrote: »

Also do you have to wear mask on the job now as I would say that would be hard while doing a trade compared to sitting in and office surrounded by people.

Of course some people lie about their age and more don’t bother putting on the resume. But it is not exactly rocket science to make an educated guess based on date of qualifications and experience.

I would leave it of rather than lie as you will eventually have to supply it for company pension etc.

I don’t know about the masks. The guys I had working on my house last week seem to only put them on in situations where they were likely to come into contact with the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭This is it

Why would you lie about your age?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

It would probably most of your employment rights null and void though. Lying on record. If I was an evil boss Id say nothing until I needed to let you go and use it as the reason.

• Advertisement

It would probably most of your employment rights null and void though. Lying on record. If I was an evil boss Id say nothing until I needed to let you go and use it as the reason.

Yeah true dont no why I was thinking it . Just thought if I haven't heard anything back I could change age to see if it helps get me an interview then tell them my age on it was a mistake.

Do they prefer to take on apprentices who are just put of school or in there early 20s I wouldn't say late 20s is to old for an apprenticeship wage doesn't change because of my age

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Do they prefer to take on apprentices who are just put of school or in there early 20s I wouldn't say late 20s is to old for an apprenticeship wage doesn't change because of my age

Ive taken on at least 30 apprentices over the last 25 years.
    Truthfully...the older ones(over 25) always work out better in the end.

Last year I went through 5 young lads to get one 1st year apprentice.The young lads these days just don't want to work for a few quid above the dole. They don't seem to understand long term prospects.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Ive taken on at least 30 apprentices over the last 25 years.
    Truthfully...the older ones(over 25) always work out better in the end.

Last year I went through 5 young lads to get one 1st year apprentice.The young lads these days just don't want to work for a few quid above the dole. They don't seem to understand long term prospects.

I’ve found in general that older lads are better apprentices. I’ve had some great young fellas in fairness but the slightly older lads tended to have that extra bit of cop on.

Hellrazer wrote: »

What wages do ye offer fully qualified folk?

Hi I know attitude is important especially for the first year as the pay is low and have to think in the long run.

Does pay only go up once you finish a year or each phase ?
    As I have heard you could be in phase 1 for a year before going to phase 2.

Going by rates online if over 20 years of age you get €9.26 which is
    €370 a week, which is pretty good for a first year apprentice

Then I seen these rates aswell
    Phase 2 €274.95
    Phase 4 €412.23
    Phase 6 €595.53
    4th Year €733.20

So what rate is it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

Hi I know attitude is important especially for the first year as the pay is low and have to think in the long run.

Does pay only go up once you finish a year or each phase ?
    As I have heard you could be in phase 1 for a year before going to phase 2.

Going by rates online if over 20 years of age you get €9.26 which is
    €370 a week, which is pretty good for a first year apprentice

Then I seen these rates aswell
    Phase 2 €274.95
    Phase 4 €412.23
    Phase 6 €595.53
    4th Year €733.20

So what rate is it ?

Have you a source for the 20 years of age thing?

Apprenticeship in phase is

Phase 1 on the job 3 months
    Phase 2 20 weeks college
    Phase 3 on the job 6 months
    Phase 4 10 to 11 weeks college
    Phase 5 on the job 6 months
    Phase 6 10 to 11 weeks college
    Phase 7 on the job 3 months
    Qualified

If you do 6 months in phase 1 before getting called to phase 2 am I right in thinking you will be finished by phase 6 as phase 7 is 3 months on the job which you have already done in phase 1.

If you do 6 months in phase 1 before getting called to phase 2 am I right in thinking you will be finished by phase 6 as phase 7 is 3 months on the job which you have already done in phase 1.

No, the extra 3 months on site at phase 1 wouldn't suffice for 3 months of post phase 6 on site work.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Augeo wrote: »
    What wages do ye offer fully qualified folk?

Full qualified mechanic...Between 33 and 38k.
    A really good master tech whos done all manufacturer training - 45k +

No, the extra 3 months on site at phase 1 wouldn't suffice for 3 months of post phase 6 on site work.

Are you sure as I have heard they do, as you have worked a year on site in phase 1 you have gone well over what is required before getting called to phase 2 so they carr over your onsite experience.

I have been told to stay well clear of Manning & Buckley electrical as they take on 10 or more apprentices and make you do 3 months probation then after that they only keep 2 or 3 apprentices . So they are getting cheap labour. Your employer should register you with Solas within 2 weeks .

Are you sure as I have heard they do, as you have worked a year on site in phase 1 you have gone well over what is required before getting called to phase 2 so they carr over your onsite experience.

I have been told to stay well clear of Manning & Buckley electrical as they take on 10 or more apprentices and make you do 3 months probation then after that they only keep 2 or 3 apprentices . So they are getting cheap labour. Your employer should register you with Solas within 2 weeks .

Sorry where did you see the 20 year old thing online?

heffo500 wrote: »
    Sorry where did you see the 20 year old thing online?

Hi sorry yes online.

Its either 9.26 or 9.80

Apprentice rates for Ireland
    National minimum wage (aged 20 and over): €9.80. Aged under 18: €6.86. Aged 18: €7.84. Aged 19: €8.82.

Hi sorry yes online.

National minimum wage (aged 20 and over): €9.80. Aged under 18: €6.86. Aged 18: €7.84. Aged 19: €8.82.

Could you send me the link?

Hi sorry yes online.

Its either 9.26 or 9.80

According to the below that only applies if you're not employed in an apprenticeship scheme?

https://www.peninsulagrouplimited.com/ie/guides/apprentice-rates/#:~:text=Apprentice%20rates%20for%20Ireland%20in%202019&text=So%20from%204th%20March,Aged%2018%3A%20%E2%82%AC7.84.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Absolutely we can rightly say there's a good qualification at the end of it, but for a lot of younger people they simply can't afford to try and live on that much, when places like Centra or Aldi are paying much more.

That is just not true, of course they can afford it - they can do the same as every other apprentice across Europe does: live at home, shared accommodation, settle for less material things etc....

My daughter is in the second year of her apprenticeship here in Switzerland and is paid CHF 1,000/month - she could get five times that amount if she went to work for one of the supermarkets. But she knows it's a dead end job.

So she lives with us and as a result needs to get up at 5:30 every morning to travel two hours to work and be on time to clock in at 8:00. To save money she sits down every evening, makes sandwiches and an evening meal two, so that she can take the second portion to work and heat up for lunch. She is not unusual, this is what everyone of her friends do as well.

The big question is are young people willing to put in the hard work and dedication to achieve something that does not result in instant gratification - some don't.

• Advertisement

heffo500 wrote: »

Apprentice electrician rates (Ireland): Provides a wage of €9.26 per hour depending on the level of experience.

I would say most would start on just of 6 euro an hour but if you have experience in the electrical industry before you could start at 9.26 . I have experience in the alarm, CCTV and access control.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Sonics2k wrote: »
    So, I'm currently looking at a career change. I've done a lot of management and sales work, but it's never made me happy and far too often the companies make cuts and job losses kick in.

With that in mind I thought long and hard and thought I'd check out doing a mechanics apprenticeship (at the age of 36). However, with Cork County Council announcing they're now hiring, I decided to check it out and read their information.

Link here

So after 4 years, you're finishing up on €23,000 p/a. Sure you can argue it's a trade, but how far can it really go. I'm hardly surprised that a lot of younger lads aren't bothering with trades anymore, it's a lot of back breaking work for sod all pay.

Sure, €23k a year is decent when you're 20 years old, but what about when you're 30 or 40 or 50 years old? Surely the pay won't get much better, how are you expected to start a family or even consider buying a home?

It is when you start first but a trade is almost a guarantee of working the long run

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 Farrell D

What salary would you be looking at getting once qualified? Industrial electrician going by jobs online around 50k - 60k is that about right ?

Farrell D wrote: »
    What salary would you be looking at getting once qualified? Industrial electrician going by jobs online around 50k - 60k is that about right ?

That would be the upper end..... None of the large bodyshops (no offence to them but that's what they are) pay that..... As mentioned in this topic 24/hour on the large projects in the current rate. That's without lodge & overtime etc.

They are charged to client at 45 ish..... 45/hour charge won't pay a 60k salary. Well it will but there's no appreciable margin so it can't happen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I was on €180 first year in 2008.
    As soon as I got qualified I went off to western Australia.
    I now earn $86000 a year.

Get qualified and get the heck out is my answer.

Plug wrote: »

Minimum wage in Australia is about 40k iirc so 86k isn't unreal money..... Irish minimum wage is 20k and a spark will get 40k+ ..... Money might go further in Australia of course but things aren't bad in Ireland IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Plug wrote: »

That's 52-53k euro. Surely that's within realms of possibility for an experienced electrician in Ireland?

Obviously it's a good wage in either currency.
    Money might go further in Australia of course but things aren't bad in Ireland IMO.

I don't really know if it does. I've only been there as a tourist but it certainly ain't cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

That would be the upper end..... None of the large bodyshops (no offence to them but that's what they are) pay that..... As mentioned in this topic 24/hour on the large projects in the current rate. That's without lodge & overtime etc.

They are charged to client at 45 ish..... 45/hour charge won't pay a 60k salary. Well it will but there's no appreciable margin so it can't happen :)
    24 an hour pays about 48,600 a year basic.
    Very few tradesmen only get basic so over 50k would be easily achieved.

salmocab wrote: »
    24 an hour pays about 48,600 a year basic.
    Very few tradesmen only get basic so over 50k would be easily achieved.

Yes, but when discussing the actual salary the basic salary is key. Using lodge and overtime etc etc is grand but not everyone wants to do OT, most folk I know have little interest in doing it anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 Farrell D

I would be be happy on 50k once qualified can do over time aswell but most jobs online are over €24 an hour other 26- 27 euro

I have friends who went to college got there degree, were making much more then me .there wage hasn't gone up much and i am on more then them and not qualified yet.

Advertisement