Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid tenant issues.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

beauf wrote:
    Lesson here is if you have a vacant property, or holiday home etc. and may not be using at the moment, but might want to use it in the future, it would be unwise to rent it out for any period.
    It can be rented out for 6 months. That's the time allowed before it becomes a long term let.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

eleventh wrote: »
    It can be rented out for 6 months. That's the time allowed before it becomes a long term let.

There is no timely way to recover a property. Tenant can simply over hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The law is there to protect people in genuine situations of being bullied etc. It should not be abused where a genuine agreement is in place, as in the case described.
    An agreement between tenant and LL for 9 months (in this case) means they have 9 months notice in effect to find their next place. Not being able to find a place is not a reason to stay under any circumstance. If they weren't sure they could move by the end of the 9 months, they should not have agreed to it.

I am not defending the tenant in any way but when I first saw the thread it immediately occurred to me that nine months ago Ireland was in a very different state. That the arrival of covid-19 may have made finding somewhere else all but impossible? That plans for moving on after the 9 months may have fallen through? Is that possible?

Entirely possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Graces7 wrote: »
    I am not defending the tenant in any way but when I first saw the thread it immediately occurred to me that nine months ago Ireland was in a very different state. That the arrival of covid-19 may have made finding somewhere else all but impossible? That plans for moving on after the 9 months may have fallen through? Is that possible?

It depends on the part of the country whether or not there are alternative lettings available. In most commercial centres there are plenty of vacancies. As well as that rents are lower than at the time that tenant moved into that holiday home. No way is it impossible to find another place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It depends on the part of the country whether or not there are alternative lettings available. In most commercial centres there are plenty of vacancies. As well as that rents are lower than at the time that tenant moved into that holiday home. No way is it impossible to find another place.

Sorry but that is not true. I keep a close eye on daft and rent.ie . In many counties there are very few and less at the low end. In case I have to move for any reason. I would be very very hard pressed to be able to if at all.

covid-19 has disrupted every aspect of life. And without knowing the circumstances?

I suspect that in this we will have to agree to differ; as I said I am not in any way excusing anyone but can see it from all sides at this time.

Over and OUT from me on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

an absolute sham of a rental market. We need to reform laws, after 9 months and 1 day the landlord should have been able to come in the door, change the locks and remove this grifter and their belongings immediately.

Its no surprise landlords are leaving the markets in droves with so many grifters as tenants.

I miss the good old days
    You can’t beat a good early morning eviction for a bit of live theatre

The law is there to protect people in genuine situations of being bullied etc. It should not be abused where a genuine agreement is in place, as in the case described.
    An agreement between tenant and LL for 9 months (in this case) means they have 9 months notice in effect to find their next place. Not being able to find a place is not a reason to stay under any circumstance. If they weren't sure they could move by the end of the 9 months, they should not have agreed to it.

So now tenants have to have their own crystal ball and foresee pandemics

[/B]

Sorry but that is not true. I keep a close eye on daft and rent.ie . In many counties there are very few and less at the low end. In case I have to move for any reason. I would be very very hard pressed to be able to if at all.

covid-19 has disrupted every aspect of life. And without knowing the circumstances?

I suspect that in this we will have to agree to differ; as I said I am not in any way excusing anyone but can see it from all sides at this time.

Over and OUT from me on this!

What people consider acceptable alternatives varies enormously, in some cases they have unrealistic expectations.

brisan wrote: »
    So now tenants have to have their own crystal ball and foresee pandemics

Oddly enough LL's (Indeed everyone else) are expected to have a crystal ball and be able to cover the cost of it.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    Oddly enough LL's (Indeed everyone else) are expected to have a crystal ball and be able to cover the cost of it.

The risk of doing business
    If every property washed its face and then some there would be a lot more landlords
    Every investment carries some risk

You're ok with some people needing to be clairvoyant though.

You're ok with some people needing to be clairvoyant though.

No the Op I answered said that the tenant should have moved out after 9 months.
    Covid happened ,the world changed and he could not move
    Maybe he had every intention of moving out after the 9 months
    maybe he realised the landlord was a bit of a fool and did not know the law ,and exploited it and never had any intention of moving out.
    THe fact remains he was legally entitled to do what he did and the landlord will just have to suck it up and make do with 2 separate tenancies splitting the 9 months in future

...landlord will just have to suck it up and make do with 2 separate tenancies splitting the 9 months in future

The chance of this LL renting it out ever again or not selling it are slim to none. Once bitten twice shy.

Maybe the reason he couldn't find anywhere (and half of Dublin could for staycations) was lack of references...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

If anything the situation is better now than it was pre-covid, as far as finding a place to rent.

My concern really is that this type of thing could end up eroding trust between landlords and tenants, to a point where supply will dwindle further. i.e. covid being used as an excuse as opposed to a genuine situation where for example a tenant has to self-isolate.

There aren't many tenants who would be dishonest in that way. There seems to be a disproportionate amount of articles in the media that want to paint tenants in that light.

The chance of this LL renting it out ever again or not selling it are slim to none. Once bitten twice shy.

Maybe the reason he couldn't find anywhere (and half of Dublin could for staycations) was lack of references...

Do not know of anybody that took a 9 month staycation
    2 weeks was the most I heard
    Never heard of anybody needing a reference for a staycation

If anything the situation is better now than it was pre-covid, as far as finding a place to rent.

My concern really is that this type of thing could end up eroding trust between landlords and tenants, to a point where supply will dwindle further. i.e. covid being used as an excuse as opposed to a genuine situation where for example a tenant has to self-isolate.

There aren't many tenants who would be dishonest in that way. There seems to be a disproportionate amount of articles in the media that want to paint tenants in that light.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114483107

That thread seems to be about LLs getting shafted and leaving the market. No possible connection between that and lack of supply.

Do not know of anybody that took a 9 month staycation
    2 weeks was the most I heard
    Never heard of anybody needing a reference for a staycation

Well we know one. That's possibly whyb they rented a holiday home. Good point.

Well we know one. That's possibly whyb they rented a holiday home. Good point.

It was not a staycation it was a 9 month rental

Put the shovel down

• Advertisement

That thread seems to be about LLs getting shafted and leaving the market. No possible connection between that and lack of supply.

The tenant could not find somewhere suitable to move to
    Maybe the holiday home was in Portlaoise ~?/

It was not a staycation it was a 9 month rental

Put the shovel down

It's not a 9 month rental if they didn't leave after 9 months.

Hard to hear you, you're so far down that hole you're digging for yourself.

The tenant could not find somewhere suitable to move to
    Maybe the holiday home was in Portlaoise ~?/

Portlaoise by the sea. Are you an estate agent by any chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Is the tenant still paying the rent?

skinny90 wrote: »
    Is the tenant still paying the rent?

Would it matter. You can string that out for months also. Let's assume it's being paid otherwise it would have been mentioned.

Let's assume all good things about the tenant. That there simply is no supply. They have no where else to go.

6yrs to regain a holiday home. Assuming they don't change the legislation again. Kids will be all grown up.

Would it matter. You can string that out for months also. Let's assume it's being paid otherwise it would have been mentioned.

Let's assume all good things about the tenant. That there simply is no supply. They have no where else to go.

6yrs to regain a holiday home. Assuming they don't change the legislation again. Kids will be all grown up.

Are we not allowed to look at the bright side? is that not permitted here? Or is this a thread for bashing tenants?

Are we not allowed to look at the bright side? is that not permitted here? Or is this a thread for bashing tenants?

I just said let's assume all good things about the tenant. How is that bashing the tenant. ???

I'm just making the point there's not much point having a holiday home you can't use for 6 yrs maybe more. What would you do with it.

I just said let's assume all good things about the tenant. How is that bashing the tenant. ???

I'm just making the point there's not much point having a holiday home you can't use for 6 yrs maybe more. What would you do with it.

It was assumed and dismissed with some outrageous claim to not having access to the place for 6 years...
    from what I have read it’s been leased for 9 months, where are you pulling 6 years out of?

It was assumed and dismissed with some outrageous claim to not having access to the place for 6 years...
    from what I have read it’s been leased for 9 months, where are you pulling 6 years out of?

Whats assumed and dismissed, and what is outrageous? I'm not following you at all.
    Security of tenure is provided for in law. Changes to legislation in 2016 extended security of tenure from 4 years to 6 year after the first six months of the tenancy.

• Advertisement

Portlaoise by the sea. Are you an estate agent by any chance.

Just pointing out that in certain areas there is a critical lack of supply e.g Portlaoise
    Maybe be the tenant lived in one such area

Advertisement