Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portlaoise. Not a Single property to let

Options
  • 01-09-2020 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi
    As the title says... Have been looking for a rental property for a friend returning to the area, sat down with a cuppa to go thru the different rental options on Daft and not a single place for rent in the whole area.
    I've checked and don't think I'm doing something wrong.
    Any idea the reason why... Anybody that knows the area, is this the norm?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,356 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its not the norm- but all bets are off the table with Covid.
    There may be landlords sitting on properties rather than reletting them if they are vacant- but its impossible to tell.
    I'd suggest your best bet is to approach some of the local estate agents and see if they have anything on their books.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭rightmove

Alot of LL have left the market also.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

I know of a friend who bought a 1 bed in portlaoise and is paying far cheaper mortgage than renting and is hoping to either selling it off with no rent or to rent it out to the market when they move.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Probably because LL are being forced out of the market.
    I’m not a LL, but that’s the way it seems to me looking in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭meijin

rightmove wrote: »
    Alot of LL have left the market also.

and bulldozed their properties :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

meijin wrote: »

no but they are not been rented. I.e. being used as family properties.
    The people used to house sharing will find it harder to get a place if that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

No but very few landlords are buying so if someone us getting out of it, its usually being bought by an owner occupier which is what leads to the reduction in supply of rental properties.

stupid reply TBH. Rented house also have a higher occupancy rate etc etc. But sure dont let that stop you. I had a rented house vacant (that I got back) last year and yes I would atleast consider bulldozing it rather then rent it again. Selling it was easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

unless the government cops on and stops pandering to people wanting to have a house to live in but not be obligated to pay the rent then this pattern will continue. We need an american style police enforced eviction process here - no payment of rent = theft and the police come and remove you and return the property to the landlord and you name goes on a rent defaulter list along with the amount you own which can be then chased by deb tcollectors who can seize you car/ TV/property to repay the debt.

The system we have now is a joke. No wonder people are sitting on empty property and not renting out.

OP - your friend ‘returning to Ireland’ - rings all kinds of alarm bells re covid and traceability and risk. Might be easier to get somewhere if you didn’t mention this? A houseshare might give them a start and an Irish reference which might make it easier for yhem for their next move/step up?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

stupid reply TBH. Rented house also have a higher occupancy rate etc etc. But sure dont let that stop you. I had a rented house vacant (that I got back) last year and yes I would atleast consider bulldozing it rather then rent it again. Selling it was easier.

What would convince you to relet the property- or would you point blank refuse to re-enter the sector?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

What would convince you to relet the property- or would you point blank refuse to re-enter the sector?

A years rent up front - like my cousin. no messing.

i was below market - had tenant who took 15 months to get out (some of the time lost was my own fault). So I had to leave it vacant for 2 years or sell. it was in dublin at the height of the housing crisis.The value of the asset meant getting the wrong tenant would have killed me. Also the tenant sub let it for the last 6 months at market rate.!! My agent said our gov gave them a house. That is what they said anyhow. They came to ireland in early 2000's from eastern europe.

That is what they said anyhow. They came to ireland in early 2000's from eastern europe.

what has that got to do with it...............sorry just getting this in first before someone jumps on this...;)

They used to pretend not to understand english when not paying the rent and being questioned on it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Your looking at it all wrong OP.

Yes, there may be no rentals available but look at any internet debate on here. Landlording is generally regarded as bad form and scumbaggery so less of them is a *good thing* :cool:

I rented for years and don't see it that way myself but that's how it is. If I was thinking of taking a job in Portlaoise one quick look on daft.ie would tell me not to bother.

Advertisement