Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Adverts 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It's here.. just not the ad anyone was expecting I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

John Lewis ad. Looked like they decided to "give a little love" to all the other Christmas ads by being rubbish.

https://youtu.be/x2sE2YuheK0

• Registered Users Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭DvB

John Lewis advert :confused: ooh, I dunno....
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

DvB wrote: »
    McDonalds..... I love this one. My favourite 2020 one so far.

And we have a winner. As a parent of a 12 year old who confirmed to us that he doesn't believe any more this year this just brought a tear to the eye. I think McDonalds drive through might be on the cards this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭pigtail33

John Lewis advert :confused: ooh, I dunno....

Same here, there's usually something about it that I like, either the song, or something else about it, but I'm not seeing anything in this year's one. Maybe it'll grow on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

John Lewis ad not up to much :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It’s so cute! A really lovely message about the power of kindness. Not too keen on the song but that’s always my least favourite part of John Lewis ads anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Three

I like this one! :D
    Basq wrote: »

Not sure how I feel about the JL ad this year... I like the message of “give a little love”, but feel the story was a bit chaotic.... hmmm :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Burberry

I love the choreography in this this one :P

Nice sequencing and the beat of the music matches perfectly
    McDonalds..... I love this one. My favourite 2020 one so far.

Agreed, the McDonald’s one is my favourite so far this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Basq wrote: »

I like it !
    A whimsical ad !

• Advertisement

Someone sent me the Home Store + More Christmas ad.
    I don't want to post it here because I don't like it !
    Nothing wrong with the script.
    It is just, to me, the way is directed and shot, there is a sense of foreboding, it seems to me a trailer for a real life crime movie.
    They do not look a 'happy home' at all, to me anyway.
    Would love to see another agency take the same script and make something much better out of it !

Another cute ad - from St.George - a bank in Australia

Christmas – For the road

Animation from Australia - Salvos Stores / Salvation Army

From the ads from Ireland I have seen this year, this is my favourite so far:

Sold A Pup by Dogs Trust Ireland

From Billa supermakets in Austria
    "The year was exhausting enough. Let's take a rest now."

Find this very relatable !

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

touts wrote: »
    John Lewis ad. Looked like they decided to "give a little love" to all the other Christmas ads by being rubbish.

Completely agree it's aWFUL. But JL has been a victim of it's own success the first few years when they were taking off but not blown up into a hype train were the best, every other year has steadily gotten worse and worse.
    otnomart wrote: »
    From the ads from Ireland I have seen this year, this is my favourite so far:
    Sold A Pup by Dogs Trust Ireland

Absolutely devastating but hopefully it gets the message through to people :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I agree, I hope it gets the message through, although I don't hold out a huge amount of hope.

Dogs Trust have had a record number of surrendered and abandoned 'lockdown' dogs to deal with this year, sadly. :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    I agree, I hope it gets the message through, although I don't hold out a huge amount of hope.

Dogs Trust have had a record number of surrendered and abandoned 'lockdown' dogs to deal with this year, sadly. :(

I had a feeling. As soon as lockdown ended and people didn’t have the time and didn’t train their dog separation skills that this was going to happen.

I am definitely going to pay them a visit in the new year to see if there’s a doggie that needs rehoming and wouldn’t mind bunking with a golden retriever.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Oooooooh :D

Sadly, if you wait until the spring, you will have hundreds of now-unwanted Christmas dogs to choose from too. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Has the Woodie’s one been shared? Simple. Predictable but I liked it a lot

https://youtu.be/3cAzAf6s3ic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I think the Woodies ad is my favourite so far

That's lovely. I like the comments! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Love the Woodies one, makes me think of my friend's 85 year old mother who lives in Dublin in a house just like that. All her daughters live abroad and she hasn’t seen them since February but she walks in to town every day to do her messages and go to mass, when she could go to mass. Don’t think I’ll send it to my friend as it will set her off!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Give your granny hinges for Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Jude13

The dog's trust one is excellent.

So far I've teared up at the McDonald's ad and the Dogs Trust ad. I made it through the Woodies one, but just barely. Really well done.

I'm looking forward to escaping into the magic of Christmas this year so I'm glad that there are companies that had sense to avoid the obvious, and go with a different tone for their ads.

As much as I love the heartwarming Supervalu, Woodies and John Lewis ads and I definitely don't need to be told to enjoy myself at Christmas, the Tesco ad is my favourite so far. Reflects what people have been going through in such a fun way.

Yeah they're brilliant Toto.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

That’s brilliant. Right down to oops I did it again lol

Advertisement