Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Adverts 2020

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Loughc wrote: »
    The SuperValu ad it went down the Covid route but I still like it. It’s cute.

https://www.facebook.com/106630886054674/posts/3668865446497849/?vh=e&d=n
    It's a bit cheesy, but does hit me in the "feels."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Loughc wrote: »
    The SuperValu ad it went down the Covid route but I still like it. It’s cute.

https://www.facebook.com/106630886054674/posts/3668865446497849/?vh=e&d=n

Honestly this made me cry. A lot. I don’t think I can watch it again until post covid. Then I might be more able for it.

I live in a different county to both sets of grandparents. We were in LOKdown on top of the other lockdowns. The kids (and us) miss their grandparents so much. We FaceTime everyday with one set who are an hour away and the two year old regularly demands to ‘go car’ ‘go grama’ or equally as sad ‘grama go’ ‘where grama’. They would usually be over and back and us too at least 3 times a month. The oldest misses his trips down to mayo to garden and golf with his granny in particular but they’re three hours away so even garden visits aren’t possible.

Anyways that’s a ramble but both myself and my husband cried at that one tonight. I’m not the better of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Mirrorwall it got me too, hugs to you x

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

That SuperValu add was spelled out from the start but it still didn't lessen the impact when it came. Beautiful.

Made all the more poignant as we're waiting for the green light for my Dad to come over this Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

TRS30 wrote: »
    So just saw another Kevin the carrot ad. Rides a hedgehog, Santa ‘ETs’ home.

How does this fit in with the Top Gun one??

Not a massive fan so maybe it’s obvious to more dedicated followers.

I think the Top Gun reference was just a nostalgic blast for the parents (maybe the TG sequel was due out this Xmas and its been delayed?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,245 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If I’m being honest I find the Supervalu ad a bit cringy but i was expecting more ads to go down that route.
    The Elvery Sports ad is similar all about a young lad who missed out on loads of sports this year.

If I’m being honest I find the Supervalu ad a bit cringy but i was expecting more ads to go down that route.
    The Elvery Sports ad is similar all about a young lad who missed out on loads of sports this year.

It is a bit cringey alright but it hits home at the same time. The only thing that had me crying more than it, was mirrors post underneath.

Tbf they can't pretend this year hasn't happened. Personally I'd find the usual ads showing extended family gatherings, Christmas night outs and airport greetings, a bit of a kick in the teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

SarahLil wrote: »
    Supervalu Christmas Ad 2020 I really like it https://www.facebook.com/SuperValuIreland/videos/689106572022808/

Oh they really are going for the heartstrings !

So far, the only advert from this year that got me misty eyed was the one from Disney though.

It is a bit cringey alright but it hits home at the same time. The only thing that had me crying more than it, was mirrors post underneath.

Tbf they can't pretend this year hasn't happened. Personally I'd find the usual ads showing extended family gatherings, Christmas night outs and airport greetings, a bit of a kick in the teeth.

See I’d just run more magical, Santa, goods, ads,etc over all these emotional ones to be honest.
    Personally I’m not one that gets emotional during TV.
    Also I hope it doesn’t build up kids hope for Christmas that they’ll be able to see people.

I posted it that in another Forum - as an annoying example - as I didn't want to post it here !

• Advertisement

DvB wrote: »
    Gucci

Luxury brands usually make terribly tone-deaf Christmas ads.

Not this year's Gucci, though. This is g e n i u s !
    Love, love their Office Christmas Party

This is (for me) a much better way to do a sportswear ad:
    “Night at the Distribution Center” by DICK’S Sporting Goods (US)
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115232100&postcount=136

See I’d just run more magical, Santa, goods, ads,etc over all these emotional ones to be honest.
    Personally I’m not one that gets emotional during TV.
    Also I hope it doesn’t build up kids hope for Christmas that they’ll be able to see people.

Yeah magical works too for sure!

Aw freshpopcorn, I get emotional for everything! I'm a broken human being! :D

otnomart wrote: »
    This is (for me) a much better way to do a sportswear ad:
    “Night at the Distribution Center” by DICK’S Sporting Goods (US)
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115232100&postcount=136

That’s a great ad in comparison. I can’t remember Elvery’s doing much of an ad in previous years.
    Yeah magical works too for sure!

Aw freshpopcorn, I get emotional for everything! I'm a broken human being! :D

I’m a tad bad at that. I blame my mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭DvB

The Sainsbury advert is to be revealed on Saturday 14th.
    Rumours of John Lewis/Waitrose doing the same, but many are predicting that will be the following weekend, sat 21st which is late for them.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

McDonalds..... I love this one. My favourite 2020 one so far.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Burberry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭Glebee

Brilliant, love that one. Hold on Ive something in my eye, i swear...:D

The advert from the Christmas lottery in Spain: Lotería de Navidad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Brilliant.

One of future fears is when they stop believing. I know things change and you have to accept it however doesn't mean I have to like it!

• Advertisement

I think that McDonald's one is my favourite!

And I don't even like mcdonald's!

Oh I just re watched the supervalu ad and realised I know the mam in it! :D Haven't seen her in years. She's a super nice woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Oh my god love the McDonalds one too, it has me nearly going
    My OH always says I always cry at them because I am believer :)

The McDonald's ad got me :o

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Now that’s class!!

Love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Oh that’s the nice feels!!! I really like that

Sorry about last night. Had a wobbly 24hrs. Doing a bit better today

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Glad to hear it, mirror. :)

Don't be sorry though, it's an emotive time and an ad like that will pull on the heartstrings. I think we're all a bit more sensitive this year. It's a tough time, especially for those who know they won't be seeing their loved ones at Christmas.

Hopefully 2021 will be a year of happy reunions!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,245 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

The McDonalds ad is my favourite after Kevin the carrot :)

My inner child is always on show :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Yes, the McDonalds ad is lovely- and it has the same song which was used in the 2019 Hafod Hardware Christmas Advert too. :)

• Advertisement

Paypal..... seems to be the year for Ballet!

Advertisement