Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ways to leave Whatsapp groups

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I hate that WhatApp just lets users be added to groups without their permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,314 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I hate that WhatApp just lets users be added to groups without their permission.

Same here. Last time I was added to one I left immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,248 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Either you’re into WhatsApp and get right on board, or you develop a massive pain in the hoop with people adding you to groups and delete the whole poxy thing. I lasted about a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Well, I like Whatsapp for the most part but addition to groups should be permission based.

Now Snapchat, on the other hand, I loathed. It’s much more demanding of a person’s time than Whatsapp is, I found. The need to respond to somebody as soon as you open their message or it disappears, the “funny” face filters that get really boring after a while. Awful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I think we are/were all in Whatsapp group that are a chore or have become toxic.
    Groups that you should be in but no longer want to be in. What are handy excuses to leave these negative groups?
    If you delete your whatsapp entirely, you are booted from the groups you're in automatically. When you reinstall you'll have to be invited again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

go out with a bang

• Registered Users Posts: 8,314 ✭✭✭AllForIt

s1ippy wrote: »
    If you delete your whatsapp entirely, you are booted from the groups you're in automatically. When you reinstall you'll have to be invited again.

Does the group get a msg 'xxx has left the group' in that scenario. Cuz it would be nice to leave on the sly. Like sneaking out the door of a house party full of obnoxious effers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Whatsapp?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭irelandrover

they really need to introduce tabs in whatsapp, groups in one tab, muted groups in another and indiviuals in another.

they really need to introduce tabs in whatsapp, groups in one tab, muted groups in another and indiviuals in another.

ah fcuk that, lifes too short, havent found a good reason to download it yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ah fcuk that, lifes too short, havent found a good reason to download it yet

If you dont have it then of course tabs wouldnt benefit you.

im in a lot of groups that i need to check once a week. not being able to see them until i need to check them would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

If you dont have it then of course tabs wouldnt benefit you.

im in a lot of groups that i need to check once a week. not being able to see them until i need to check them would be great.

It’s a good idea, we use it for the kids rugby team. It’s only relevant information with no spamming joking or memes. I’m in some with a couple of close mates that has not much important going on but isn’t full of nonsense either and I’m in some with larger groups that rarely have anything worth reading in. I tend to barely skim the last groups but the others I do read, although I have the app muted so only see them when I look at the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’m in one WhatsApp group with all my cousins on my Mother’s side, it’s grand I like them all, another with my girlfriends family, it’s busy, it’s funny, but it’s muted as a bit too busy, I check it once / twice a day.

I drew the line though when my supervisor set up a work WhatsApp. On our personal phones. None of us had work phones anymore but there were people on shift for 20 out of 24 hours and the fûcking thing being visible when you are messaging friends and family in the evening and on days off even if muted was annoying. You come in on a Monday and before you’d log into your email.. “ohhh Strumms, did you see the conversation about...”. “ nope, tell me all about it “.. q their ‘annoyed’ face.

I left the group and was asked what made me leave, to which I just replied “what made you set it up, I’m here 40 hours a week, and on email”... weren’t overjoyed about that.

Strumms wrote: »
    I’m in one WhatsApp group with all my cousins on my Mother’s side, it’s grand I like them all, another with my girlfriends family, it’s busy, it’s funny, but it’s muted as a bit too busy, I check it once / twice a day.

I drew the line though when my supervisor set up a work WhatsApp. On our personal phones. None of us had work phones anymore but there were people on shift for 20 out of 24 hours and the fûcking thing being visible when you are messaging friends and family in the evening and on days off even if muted was annoying. You come in on a Monday and before you’d log into your email.. “ohhh Strumms, did you see the conversation about...”. “ nope, tell me all about it “.. q their ‘annoyed’ face.

I left the group and was asked what made me leave, to which I just replied “what made you set it up, I’m here 40 hours a week, and on email”... weren’t overjoyed about that.

fcuk that, they ll be wanting us to be contactable in our sleep soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    fcuk that, they ll be wanting us to be contactable in our sleep soon!

That’s the way it was going, there were varying shifts so people on shift across the day and night from 1 am until about 9.30 pm jeeez I don’t miss that job, the money was great, work enjoyable to a point, but the fûckwits running the shop... needed to be left in a field picking daisies.

Strumms wrote: »
    That’s the way it was going, there were varying shifts so people on shift across the day and night from 1 am until about 9.30 pm jeeez I don’t miss that job, the money was great, work enjoyable to a point, but the fûckwits running the shop... needed to be left in a field picking daisies.

some employers just dont give a ****e about the workers, theyd create more hours in the day, and days in the week if they could

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

Apologies if hijacking is not allowed, but has anyone worked out how you can discretely leave a WhatsApp group? The “mute” option is grand, but you can still easily see that you have unread messages, and I am a bit OCD when it comes to unread messages! One suggestion online is to turn off group notifications, and then exit group. But I have tried this on a dummy group I set up and it didn’t work I.e. the other members still were notified that I had left the group. I also tried archiving the group, but it still re-appears once a new message is sent in the group. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

PGL wrote: »
    Apologies if hijacking is not allowed, but has anyone worked out how you can discretely leave a WhatsApp group? The “mute” option is grand, but you can still easily see that you have unread messages, and I am a bit OCD when it comes to unread messages! One suggestion online is to turn off group notifications, and then exit group. But I have tried this on a dummy group I set up and it didn’t work I.e. the other members still were notified that I had left the group. I also tried archiving the group, but it still re-appears once a new message is sent in the group. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Only solution is to abandon your phone, get a new phone number and possible consider a total identity change.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,586 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

PGL wrote: »

Does it really matter if others see you leaving? Here's some great reasons to get totally off WhatsApp.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/markets/whatsapp-s-decision-to-change-its-privacy-policy-causes-unease-among-users-1.4467464

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

50 ways to leave your lover Whatsapp group

You just slip out the back, Jack
    Make a new plan, Stan
    You don't need to be coy, Roy
    Just get yourself free
    Hop on the bus, Gus
    You don't need to discuss much
    Just drop off the key, Lee
    And get yourself free

Great, that drum beat's stuck in my head for the day now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Isn't there a "Leave" button on the group options?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Troll it to end to get everyone else to leave!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,163 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Just keep eating garlic and stop showering. Once you start to smell, they'll kick you out and you don't have to do a thing!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Here's a way to leave the group:

Grow a pair of balls and click delete , and stop being afraid of people on social media.

Being held hostage on WhatsApp. Mental!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes, just man up and leave. If the Brits could do it so can you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

New fone, who dis?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,163 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

biko wrote: »
    Yes, just man up and leave. If the Brits could do it so can you :)

Probably better off doing it with the lies, ****-talking, hysterics and four-year wait.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement