Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭NaDeise92

Very proud of this group of lads and how they've played this munster championship. Hope to god we play with no fear on Sunday and just go at Limerick. Tighten it up at the back - mark both gillane & Flanagan out of it and we will have a right chance. Davy will no doubt have the lads fired up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭seananigans

i suppose if you want to be munster or ai champs you have to beat not just the teams but the officials too, destiny is in their own hands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

On officials. I honestly thought we got a fair few dubious frees to be fair and Shane o Donnell should have got a few. 65 was correct but not where it was taken. I’m a complete anti Davy man but credit where it’s due. We’re back playing hurling like it should be played whatever changed that but I’ll take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

My own team Cork have had a few questionable calls too with sending offs especially the Cahalane one against Waterford which seemed very harsh. I can understand the frustration over the 65 call as do close to being virtually guaranteed 3rd with it. I'd be the same if it happened to Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭914

What's not to get, Waterford management and officials have no replay so at that moment in time they surely honestly felt the ref made the call on a hunch as the umpire couldn't see it.

I was watching it and at the time I was thinking no way any of them saw that (I hadn't a clue if it was a 65 or not), I had the advantage later on in the day of seeing a reply and then it was clear it was a 65 and the right call was made.

You then have the 65 taking a good few feet ahead of the 65 yard line and despite telling the linesman and fourth official no action was taking.

They were within a few seconds of qualifying for the first time out of the round robin despite being out of the game on 3 or 4 occasions, it is very easy to see how emotions would spill over there.

I have yet to re watch it and see how much time was taken up for the penalty when the free was awarded how much time was taken and when the 65 was awarded how much time was taken.

So based on the above

1. Everyone on the sideline didn't know if it genuinely was a 65 or not

2. Based on the above they felt a guess was made

3. The ball was place ahead of the 65 and by the time it was struck well ahead of the 65 despite telling the linesman and fourth offical

4. Unsure if more time should have been added due to the penalty, free and 65

Very easy to see how emotions would spill over there.

I do feel it was clear Davy was gonna have a pop and someone should have just walked him in and had that conversation in referees room.

Also Davy's outburst was tame enough, it wasn't until the clare backroom member got involved by pushing Davy and telling him to f*** off where things went from Davy blowing off some steam to more than one arguing, pushing and shoving.

The RTE and media have bothered me a bit saying this shouldn't happen as the right call was made, at that moment on the field no one knew if the right call was made.

Hurling is an emotional sport, it's tough, it's physical, it's hard and emotional.

I'm not excusing the outburst just saying why it might have happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Great response, give yourself a pat on the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Whitenblue93

you’d really wonder why these lads come on a Waterford page and post when they clearly aren’t from the county at all

No I'm not, you can see I previously said that someone should have walked Davy into the dressing room and it shouldn't have happened.

Someone stated how they didn't get the over reaction as it was the right call and I was putting into context of how that over reaction might have occurred.

Over the years we saw players abusing officials and that has pretty much gone from the game, thankfully.

The same needs to happen for managers/backroom team.

Managers backroom teams are far older and should have more sense and cop on to take a breath and have the conversation afterwards, had Davy taken a breath walked into the dressing, looked a reply he would have seen the 65 was the right call and he probably could have had a calm conversation with the match officials about the placing of the 65/injury time.

The only way to deal with these incidents is fines and sideline bans but it needs to be consistent in order to stamp out such out bursts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

In fairness I read most county threads, when you have an interest in GAA thats what you do

mind you there are also those that just like stirring the pot !

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Gisele

Yes fair point, it was a tremendous game and played by both sides with the right attitude.

I do not like he officials being brought into the centre of attention after a great game, the officials here too had a tremendous game. The game was lost elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If Waterford beat Limerick and Tipperary beat Clare, then Limerick, Clare, and Cork would finish on four points each and in that scenario Clare would be eliminated as they currently have the inferior scoring difference of the three and it would be worsened further by defeat to Tipp. Cork would play Limerick in the Munster Final and Waterford would finish third.

Would someone enlighten me please.

By my count Waterford would be on 5 points and the others on 4 points, so Waterford would finish first in the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Gisele

Here are permutations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

any update on injured players below

1. Prunty - out for rest of season or is there a chance to play on Sunday
    2. Daragh lyons - he was subbed off very early last Sunday was it injury ie just Davy felt he was getting a total ‘roasting’ and had to come off.
    3. Patrick Curran - is he suffering from a head injury, has he any hope of being available for limerick game
    4. Montgomery - again how bad is his injury and will he be available on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

article in the indo today. Prunty Monty and Curran all 50/50. Lyons almost certainly out,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭skaface

Any word on who the referee is for Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,922 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Clare get there game over by HT and then start the whispers between us and Limerick

Me thinks they'll be none of that nonsense though

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭JD. 60

Thought initially that Davy just hauled him off as he was having a poor game which after 15mins appeared very harsh…..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I thought it was an injury or else maybe just adding some height into the middle for us

he was getting absolutely cleaned but maybe there was an underlying injury

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

In an off the ball post match interview. You can see him limping leaving the dressing room.

The 5 minutes before he was subbed coincided with Clare's purple patch. I wonder how long he was on the field injured. Player is always going to try and play on.

‘absolutely cleaned’ after 15 mins……would have thought 15mins is way too early in a match to be able to make that kind of assessment……how many possessions did he get or attempt to get, how does one define ‘being cleaned out’………?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

Monty named on the bench.

The game was completely passing him by but like I said maybe he wasn’t 100%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

The Indo article had Montgomery and Prunty 50-50 and Darragh Lyons definitely out. Is this a classic Davy dummy team? I’m glad to see Shane Bennett in from the start. Always makes a nuisance of himself.

Prunty isn’t even named on the bench so you’d have to think he’s definetly out. Which is sad considering how pivotal he is for us and could be another year of championship passed him by

Lyons is a bit of a mystery he’s gone from MOTM against Tipp to being subbed after 15 mins to being back in again

good to see Monty named on the bench. Great option whether he starts or comes in

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Aaron Gillane is going to go to town on that Waterford full back line and keeper. Surely Davy cannot start all four of them after their performance last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Haven’t posted for a long time but final word of the decision to give a 65 to Clare - simple fact is none of the officials from where they were standing could see who last touched the ball before it went out of play - thus the decision was a “guess” that had a 50% chance of being right - if this happens at the sideline which it often does the ball is thrown in!! Time was up referee should have blown the full time whistle and end all debate !

As for Davy I understand his frustration but cannot condone his reaction - he makes himself centre of attention thus cannot complain when he gets it.

We have a real chance of causing an upset this weekend once we eliminate the really silly mistakes we are making and players are left hurl - it’s all about the 70+ minutes !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I meant to post after the game on Sunday to say, imagine how good a player Stephen Bennett would have been if he had any luck with injuries. I think right back in 2013 he started having issues and has endured them since. I thought he was outstanding on Sunday in a deeper role in the first half and then a more advanced role in the second half. Hopefully Sunday isn't the last time that we see him in a Waterford jersey.

It's amazing that of the three Bennett brothers, Stephen was the one on the bench in the all ireland final vs Galway, especially when we see the player he became in the intervening years where he has been our main leader in the forwards.

Stephen bennett though or any of the three of them not a patch on SoD ( as he is known)…current hurler of the year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭dilinja1

If he keeps playing like he did last Sunday then absolutely. He was exceptional

the ‘Meeja ’ and commentators certainly love him….when I checked the scoring after last weeks game I expected to be see him with a lot more than 0-2……..but obviously his off the ball play, deceiving/deception of the defence and opening up gaps for the other forwards and positioning is off the charts……?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

There’s no way Darragh Lyons will be starting, or togged out even. As far as I’m aware it’s a groin injury, not hamstring as mentioned earlier.

Hopefully it’s Prunty is added to the panel to replace him as a late addition. Although it may be a week or two too soon for Prunty.

Here, guess or not it was a 65, someone called it right. Had it have been the other end of the field we would be hailing an excellent decision by the officials.

As the game was at 64 minutes and both sides level if the ref had any doubt he would have thrown it in or waved it wide, one of the officials I suspect seen it, and if one of them did then that is good team work by the officials.

Officials getting in the neck week in week out, they call a correct decision and people are complaining about a correct decision.

If he waved wide or thrown it in, the debate would still be happening. The ref would be accused of playing for the draw, not having the balls to call the correct decision.

I was as gutted as the next person but it was a 65, I can't see where the complaint is coming from.

Time to put that talk to bed and move into Sunday.

If we don't get out of Munster it won't be because of that 65, it will be for not putting Tipp to bed and for not winning the pick out after Bennetts goal V Clare

Is work restarting on Walsh Park ?

Wouldn't surprise me if it's 'pauses due to Funds'

Minor hurlers are on TG4 YouTube tomorrow at 2. Minor footballers are in Lemybrien at the same time and free in, no tickets required according to the press release.

Shane O'Donnell is a deadly hurler but so is Stephen Bennett, that goal to rock Kilkenny in the AISF a few years ago was as good an individual goal as you will see. Agree SoD is going very well this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Minor Hurling …….. Dublin Vs Kilkenny is showing on my EPG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lim4ev

If yer not to get out no doubt not beating tipp is the rock yer going to perish on but the argument for me re the 65 is the umpire couldn't have seen it so no matter whether he was wrong or right the correct call was a 21 yrd throw in??

if the ref had made that decision I don’t think there would have been been too many complaints from Clare either. At the end of the day it’s not a score disallowed the free still needs to be taken and also Waterford had a clear 65 signalled wide earlier in the game so it would have evened out

look in saying that as the previous poster said it’s done now and we move to n, its handy to have something to talk about but I’m sure Davy will have the players focused on Sunday and not dwelling in the past

what’s the verdict l think on Shannonside ahead of Sunday? I’m sure yell have no fear of Waterford yeve beaten us the last 6 meetings if I’m not mistaken

you can clearly see him going to make the ‘wide’ signal but then change his mind and puts the finger up for the 65…this is fairly good proof that he was in two minds and just ‘guessed’…..the pictures and video replays clearly show his sight line / view of the sliotar was totally impeded by a scrum of bodies……he changed his mind for some reason maybe due to the players and roaring of the supporters behind him……does the rule book say that if an umpire is unsure of a call then he/she informs the ref and a ‘throw in’ at the 20m line is the resultant decision…? If it does the umpire in this case should have followed this course of action…..however how likely is it that he/she even knows this is the rule……? Did the ref have a discussion with the umpire prior to awarding the 65….? Either way it’s a very rare and unfortunate way to decide a game that most would agree that a draw would have been a fair outcome….corks summer would have been over and W’ford wouldn’t have to worry about the limerick game.

Best of luck to the 2 minor teams today

I'd imagine that's the main broadcast? As I said the Waterford minors are on their YouTube channel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement