Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Pro12 Season 2020-2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,129 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Gareth anscombe out for a further year
    Awful news for the guy

https://twitter.com/BBCSportWales/status/1313453399044689923?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

https://twitter.com/PRO14Official/status/1314205540285726720

Our Welsh friends have taken this news very badly

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

yerrahbah wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/PRO14Official/status/1314205540285726720

Our Welsh friends have taken this news very badly

You can see the hit at the one minute mark here https://youtu.be/4I2yjtROwd4

Pretty clear and obvious to be honest.

You can see the hit at the one minute mark here https://youtu.be/4I2yjtROwd4

Pretty clear and obvious to be honest.

Obvious to me too.

I just think this on the back of POM getting off scot free has riled people up

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Obvious to me too.

I just think this on the back of POM getting off scot free has riled people up

POM got 2 yellow cards as opposed to an out and out red. Theres no issue with him being let off. The Welsh fans doing this moaning are constantly on the look out for any perceived issue that they can whinge about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

they’re still at it.

molloyjh wrote: »
    POM got 2 yellow cards as opposed to an out and out red. Theres no issue with him being let off. The Welsh fans doing this moaning are constantly on the look out for any perceived issue that they can whinge about.

Ya I guess getting two yellows is so rare in rugby I wasn't quite sure how the disciplinary panel worked.

I don't think I would have had too many complaints if he copped a 1 week ban.

The Turnbull one was a textbook example of what world rugby is trying to stamp out, wouldn't surprise me if it was used on the world rugby website as an example of what not to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭rayd3

Hopefully a terrible English rugby journalist or ex player bats his eyelashes in their direction so the poor creatúrs have something positive to take out of this week after the mean PrO’14 cost them again.

4 wins for the provinces coupled with a few losses for the regions would be a lovely outcome this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Is the Pro14 site really bad for everyone else on mobile. No text in any of their articles at the minute. Says 9 min read etc. but there's nothing. Went to contact section to let them know and there's nothing on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

can’t tell if i genuinely like the pro69 as a competition or if i just like it because i’m a Leinster supporter and it’s just a free annual the academy lads get for doing well in their training matches trophy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Must be an absolute humdinger in Italy. Benetton 3-0 Scarlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

molloyjh wrote: »
    Must be an absolute humdinger in Italy. Benetton 3-0 Scarlets.

It’s an arm wrestle so far. It’s actually a lot more entertaining than it sounds.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

It’s an arm wrestle so far. It’s actually a lot more entertaining than it sounds.

It's s lot more entertaining than Ryle makes it sound

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

A generous flat call there for the try IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Very generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Benneton have been playing some very nice rugby this season, and once again, are unlucky to not come away with at least a draw

That Scarlets try should have been overturned as that 2nd last pass was a mile forward

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

Akrasia wrote: »
    Benneton have been playing some very nice rugby this season, and once again, are unlucky to not come away with at least a draw

That Scarlets try should have been overturned as that 2nd last pass was a mile forward

That's everything I was about to say
    1 point out of 15 is the less rewarding outcome for good rugby over 3 games in a while...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

The start of the season really hasn't been promising from a league perspective. Edinburgh have completely collapsed to the point where they will be considering sacking Cockerill if they lose the next 1 or 2 games.

Scarlets and Glasgow have generally looked fairly poor. Ospreys have certainly improved from last season but aren't realistic contenders. Cardiff are looking solid too, thankfully but not a lot more than that.

There's a genuine chance that the provinces are the top 4 teams at this point which is great in many ways but very bad for the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    The start of the season really hasn't been promising from a league perspective. Edinburgh have completely collapsed to the point where they will be considering sacking Cockerill if they lose the next 1 or 2 games.

Scarlets and Glasgow have generally looked fairly poor. Ospreys have certainly improved from last season but aren't realistic contenders. Cardiff are looking solid too, thankfully but not a lot more than that.

There's a genuine chance that the provinces are the top 4 teams at this point which is great in many ways but very bad for the league.

Edinburgh are away to Cardiff and host Scarlets in the next two games. They could very easily lose both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I would doubt that Cockerill would be sacked even if Edinburgh lose next 2 games. He's been their best coach since the professional game started and took them from going nowhere to within a minute of the Pro 14 final. If he is sacked who would come in and do a better job?

I would doubt that Cockerill would be sacked even if Edinburgh lose next 2 games. He's been their best coach since the professional game started and took them from going nowhere to within a minute of the Pro 14 final. If he is sacked who would come in and do a better job?

I think you're underestimating how bad a run they're on. They've lost 6 in a row now including 4 at home. If they lost 8 on the trot it would be the worst run of results in years for them.

Cockerill has done a brilliant job but that narrative will change dramatically if they don't solve their problem. They have been appalling since rugby returned.

The thing most in his favour is that Edinburgh probably cannot afford to change coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Buer wrote: »
    I think you're underestimating how bad a run they're on. They've lost 6 in a row now including 4 at home. If they lost 8 on the trot it would be the worst run of results in years for them.

Cockerill has done a brilliant job but that narrative will change dramatically if they don't solve their problem. They have been appalling since rugby returned.

The thing most in his favour is that Edinburgh probably cannot afford to change coach.

I think as time continues to go by and as the implications of Brexit become more prevalent in UK society there will be quite a lot of financial issues in all clubs right across the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

kub wrote: »
    I think as time continues to go by and as the implications of Brexit become more prevalent in UK society there will be quite a lot of financial issues in all clubs right across the UK.

I think the financial ramifications of Covid are a much bigger concern than Brexit right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

So Munster v Cardiff tonight...two unbeaten sides going head to head, not bad fare for a Monday night.

I'm not sure it would work if supporters were allowed though, but it's an interesting development.

bilston wrote: »
    So Munster v Cardiff tonight...two unbeaten sides going head to head, not bad fare for a Monday night.

I'm not sure it would work if supporters were allowed though, but it's an interesting development.

If it gives the TV companies reasons to be happy and keeps the money coming in then all good when there is no crowds allowed

Might even work when crowds are capped at about 5-10%

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Burkie1203 wrote: »

It's a good job the Scarlets have another 28 companies on their jersey.

razorblunt wrote: »
    It's a good job the Scarlets have another 28 companies on their jersey.

its also funny given how the welsh give out about irish players having personal sponsorships, they kept some of these deals quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

4 tbp wins for the provinces. Will take that!

• Advertisement

Eod100 wrote: »
    4 tbp wins for the provinces. Will take that!

Will certainly take it but it feels somewhat facile or even hollow. Maybe it's due to going from playoffs and knock out rugby to run of the mill Pro14 in just a couple of weeks but the Pro14 feels like it's in real difficulty now.

The 4 wins were achieved with worrying ease. Leinster's kids blew apart Zebre. Ulster did the same to the Dragons. Connacht had Edinburgh (last season's pool toppers) beaten with a BP in the bag after an hour in Scotland. Munster pretty much dominated Cardiff with a weakened selection and will be baffled as to how they conceded 27 points.

We're now a few weeks into the season and no team outside the provinces has impressed me really at all. I've misgivings about the South African expansion and logistics of the proposal but the league is going backwards at this stage which few would have thought possible after last season's procession.

Advertisement