Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Pro12 Season 2020-2021

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Thanks for expanation. I'm still however missing watching Friday night fixtures. Last Friday was a complete blank as there is no channel on these islands covering TOP 14. At least English Premiership starts up soon.

there was meant to be friday night rugby but was cancelled due to Covid 19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

there was meant to be friday night rugby but was cancelled due to Covid 19

Was that not Saturday - Dragons vs Connacht and Benetton vs Munster?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Was that not Saturday - Dragons vs Connacht and Benetton vs Munster?

You're right I thought Munster was on Friday for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Conference A is over after six games. Awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,753 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Still a fight for 1st place. 19 point gap between 2nd and 3rd after 6 games though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭Buer

bilston wrote: »
    Still a fight for 1st place. 19 point gap between 2nd and 3rd after 6 games though...

It's the points difference that really highlights the gap though. 148 between Ulster in 2nd and the Ospreys in 3rd. Brutal stuff. It's indefensible when trying to make a case for the quality of the league.

Buer wrote: »
    It's the points difference that really highlights the gap though. 148 between Ulster in 2nd and the Ospreys in 3rd. Brutal stuff. It's indefensible when trying to make a case for the quality of the league.

Whats the plan after Christmas? How are the South African sides going to be integrated.

If the South African sides are coming in the New Year I'd try and end this campaign as quickly as possible. Even go straight to the play offs in January and start afresh in February with some sort of short term comp to get us to May/June and then start again properly in Sept 2021 when hopefully things are more normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

It's a joke alright.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Lads, it's not just conference A. Munster are 8 points clear of second with game in hand against Benetton, so 12/13 points realistically. It Leinster, Munster, Ulster and the rest are miles back.
    And if we're honest, it's Leinster with the other two a bit behind them and the rest way further back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

The games are becoming unwatchable, I haven't watched the second half of a leinster game yet this season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Stuart Lancaster said when he arrived that he wanted to turn Leinster back into one of the best teams in Europe. And you'd have to say he's succeeded. They're definitely in the top 3 or 4 teams at the moment. It wouldn't be a surprise to see Leinster put up 50 points plus against Northampton and Montpellier - in the home fixtures anyway. So Leinster dominating isn't just confined to being a league "problem".

These 50 point drubbings may be entertaining to watch but really do nothing to promote the Pro 14 as a competitive league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

These 50 point drubbings may be entertaining to watch but really do nothing to promote the Pro 14 as a competitive league.

Lets be honest, they aren't really entertaining at all. For a neutral, those games are just boring and uneventful.

As a neutral who loves to watch every game in the league not just my own team, Id much rather watch Dragons and Zebre dog it out in a 50/50 game then anyone (but lets be honest its mostly Leinster) putting 50 points relatively unanswered on anyone.

They're not. Even as a Leinster fan. It's essentially just waiting to see when Leinster conjure up a moment of quality play to score a try. The intervening minutes are largely devoid from interest. There's no contest or tension in the game whatsoever and it is significantly worse than last season (which is saying something).

In other seasons, the second string/fringe selections would be a point of interest but this is the selection for most Leinster games at this point due to the season that's in it. The Pro14 for Leinster (and I'm not saying this arrogantly) is almost serving the purpose that the British & Irish Cup once did.

The back line that finished the game the other day included HOS, Hawkshaw, Turner, Frawley and JOB. We've probably had more experienced back lines play for the A team.

• Administrators Posts: 53,400 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The league has been on the slide for a number of years now. There should be no surprise at the gulf we are seeing this year, all the signs were there.

I haven't watched an Ulster game since October. Just don't really care, there is little to no entertainment value.

Is the general view from posts above that the Pro 14 at present is a pretty poor competition? How do others think it compares with English Premiership and Top 14? I know there is no regular coverage of the latter on any TV channel here but there are highlights of every game via Youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,403 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

English Premiership is pretty awful too and financially both leagues are in serious trouble

AdamD wrote: »
    English Premiership is pretty awful too and financially both leagues are in serious trouble

The Premiership is far better as a spectacle and product. It has a bad rep from recent years of one dimensional dross but some of the teams now play very good rugby and are entertaining. Yes, two teams have completely dominated recent years but they're still capable of losing games.

Exeter lost 7 of 22 games in the regular season just passed. That would be unthinkable for Leinster. In fact, the last time any of Leinster, Ulster or Munster lost more than 7 games in a regular season was in 2015-16.

The Premiership is far better as a spectacle and product. It has a bad rep from recent years of one dimensional dross but some of the teams now play very good rugby and are entertaining. Yes, two teams have completely dominated recent years but they're still capable of losing games.

Exeter lost 7 of 22 games in the regular season just passed. That would be unthinkable for Leinster. In fact, the last time any of Leinster, Ulster or Munster lost more than 7 games in a regular season was in 2015-16.

Sure the last time Leinster lost more than 7 games in a season they gave the coach the sack.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

There's also far fewer games played in half empty stadia (in normal times) from what I've seen. Most teams seem to have decent support. Of the non Irish sides only Glasgow and possibly Cardiff have a decent atmosphere in the Pro14. Edinburgh probably will too once their new ground is done and the gates are open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Lets be honest, they aren't really entertaining at all. For a neutral, those games are just boring and uneventful.

As a neutral who loves to watch every game in the league not just my own team, Id much rather watch Dragons and Zebre dog it out in a 50/50 game then anyone (but lets be honest its mostly Leinster) putting 50 points relatively unanswered on anyone.

Problem is, Leinster are so dominant, that they can literally control the weather and call in heavy fog to render any competing fixtures invisible to a tv audience thereby forcing rugby fans to watch Leinsters humiliation of whatever regional lightweight they see before them

There's also far fewer games played in half empty stadia (in normal times) from what I've seen. Most teams seem to have decent support. Of the non Irish sides only Glasgow and possibly Cardiff have a decent atmosphere in the Pro14. Edinburgh probably will too once their new ground is done and the gates are open.

Where are Edinburgh going to be playing?

Where are Edinburgh going to be playing?

New ground on the Murrayfield back pitches. Temp stands and a 4G pitch.
    https://www.edinburghrugby.org/the-clubhouse/stadium-update-our-new-home-takes-shape

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

New ground on the Murrayfield back pitches. Temp stands and a 4G pitch.
    https://www.edinburghrugby.org/the-clubhouse/stadium-update-our-new-home-takes-shape

20201002_121800.jpg?width=900

Bloody hell, those stands are awful with all those pillars.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    20201002_121800.jpg?width=900

Bloody hell, those stands are awful with all those pillars.

Looks like it's all temporary stands essentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

awec wrote: »
    Looks like it's all temporary stands essentially.

As temporary as the RDS has been all these years

As temporary as the RDS has been all these years
    The RDS has a permanent stand (which is due to be replaced with a new permanent stand) and the opposite stand has a proper cantilevered roof. And it has a capacity 10k larger than this new Edinburgh stadium. The Edinburgh stadium looks to have been whacked together as cheaply as possible. They're not really comparable.

The RDS has a permanent stand (which is due to be replaced with a new permanent stand) and the opposite stand has a proper cantilevered roof. And it has a capacity 10k larger than this new Edinburgh stadium. The Edinburgh stadium looks to have been whacked together as cheaply as possible. They're not really comparable.

You've hit the nail on the head. No wonder that it looks not far off completion.

awec wrote: »
    The league has been on the slide for a number of years now. There should be no surprise at the gulf we are seeing this year, all the signs were there.

I haven't watched an Ulster game since October. Just don't really care, there is little to no entertainment value.

Not sure if you really mean that! But if true you are missing some very impressive rugby from Ulster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

bilston wrote: »
    Not sure if you really mean that! But if true you are missing some very impressive rugby from Ulster

You can't ignore the context of the standard of opposition. There's no meat in these games. Just a few years ago I would have watched all the provinces in the Rabo/Pro12/Pro14 on a regular basis. Now I only watch Munster really. Unless I've money on an another game I'm not really pushed to watch.

Leinster's average margin of victory so far this season is 28 points. That includes TBP wins away to Ospreys and Glasgow who are the closest challengers to Ulster and Leinster. Unless you're a Leinster fan I don't see the reason to watch. It's been a weekly training run.

Munster committed a robbery in Llanelli in the opening weekend, since then they've coasted it for the most part. It's been great to see the development of Casey, Healy and Coombes but I would say that...

Connacht were well beaten in Cardiff, fair enough. They were their own worst enemy against the Scarlets by dropping three tries on the line, where only one of those was down to an excellent defensive play.

I haven't really followed Ulster so I can't comment much but they're unbeaten so...

Unfortunately we've seen over the years that we can't rely on the festive period interpros to be competitive as the provinces (Leinster aside these days perhaps!) will trade points by rotating lineups.

The South Africans can't come soon enough.

Advertisement