Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fastest tractor of the late 80's ?

Options
  • 13-09-2020 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi,

Iv a small bit of land 5 miles from me. Want to get a relatively fast tractor that i can run over and back with.

year around late 80's - very early 90's.

I wondering , whats the fastest tractor of this era? or would they all be the same?

A small 4wd, like the ford 6610, or zetor 7245 (something with a fairly spacious cab).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭SilverKrest

I think the Ford would be more speedy. Although I dont think there was much tractors going 40km untill the early to mid 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Hi,

Iv a small bit of land 5 miles from me. Want to get a relatively fast tractor that i can run over and back with.

I wondering , whats the fastest tractor of this era? or would they all be the same?

A small 4wd, like the ford 6610, or zetor 7245 (something with a fairly spacious cab).

Don't forget the pocket rockets that were Leyland and the odd Marshall. Maybe be hard to get a 4wd drive one, but you should pick a 2wd drive one up easy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Zetor 8111 1988 or so upwards will do 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Melodeon

My 1988 Massey Ferguson 3080 is geared for 40 km/h.
    I think all the 3000 series can be set up for 40 km/h, it's a matter of turning a shaft around inside the gearbox if I recall correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭davidk1394

If you have the money you could by an MB trac. A rocket on the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

Don't forget the pocket rockets that were Leyland and the odd Marshall. Maybe be hard to get a 4wd drive one, but you should pick a 2wd drive one up easy

Bad steering, bad brakes and worse hydraulics. To be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

davidk1394 wrote: »
    If you have the money you could by an MB trac. A rocket on the road

Or a unimog

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭MfMan

Hi,

Whatever about the tractor, what's the quality of the road in between like? Bouncing around in a tractor at 40k on a bumpy road won't do much for man or machine long term.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Try and come up to like a 7740 or 3000 series massey and if you are doing a bit of road go 6 cylinder,its bit smoother.over reving a older type to go faster is not a pleasant experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Dunedin

MfMan wrote: »
    Whatever about the tractor, what's the quality of the road in between like? Bouncing around in a tractor at 40k on a bumpy road won't do much for man or machine long term.

That’s for sure. Hardest days work you’ll do is on a bumpy road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,225 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Hi,

5 miles is not a huge distance in a tractor, difference time wise between a 25KM/H and a 40Km/H tractor over that distance. Difference time wise is 6-7 minutes and taht is if you can get the full 40Km/H over the total distance. In reality difference time wise will be about 5 minutes.

I be keeping away from the Ford there blocks go porous and it is an expensive fix. I have to go 12 miles and it never worries me whether its the 2wd or the $ WD I take. the 2WD will do 30KM/hour and the 4WD 40Km/hour. Difference is about 10 minutes each way about the time it takes to change an implement on the back of the tractor

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Spacious cab, one of these yolks kingswood agri are selling them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,175 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Spacious cab, one of these yolks kingswood agri are selling them

Are they airport tractors?

Are they airport tractors?

Looks like it. Don't know how they'd handle a sticky patch in a field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

You'd be a long time driving 5kms in one of them. If they are the same things that pull ULDs and baggage. Company I work for have two of them for pulling igloos from aircraft. Slow as fck the ones we have.

Edit. They always remind me of Dougal in the milk float in father Ted ha.

NcdJd wrote: »
    You'd be a long time driving 5kms in one of them. If they are the same things that pull ULDs and baggage. Company I work for have two of them for pulling igloos from aircraft. Slow as fck the ones we have.

Have they ptos or hydraulics ? Are they useful for anything?

Our company just use them for pulling the ulds on linked trailer beds from the aircraft to warehouse. Don't think I've ever noticed a pto on them. Just thinking if there was a Pto half the lads would only have one arm considering some of them are mad lunatics. Don't know what these would be of use in any form of agriculture..

Although having said I'm sure there's a couple of ingenious members on here that would make them into something interesting and useful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

There was a couple trantors around in the 70s, I think JCB bought them out, capable of 80kph. there was one in this area

https://tractors.fandom.com/wiki/Trantor?file=Trantor_Mk_I_sn_002_%28NSE_947W%29_at_Somerset_2013_-_IMG_6867.JPG

wrangler wrote: »
    There was a couple trantors around in the 70s, I think JCB bought them out, capable of 80kph. there was one in this area

https://tractors.fandom.com/wiki/Trantor?file=Trantor_Mk_I_sn_002_%28NSE_947W%29_at_Somerset_2013_-_IMG_6867.JPG

Never seen on of them before. Like a cross between a jeep and tractor. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

NcdJd wrote: »
    Never seen on of them before. Like a cross between a jeep and tractor. Interesting.

Look very comfortable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQhilW4GqrE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Older 2wd international harvester tractors with the H (very rare) or B (more common) code gearbox and S code diff are flyers.

Around about 40k or indeed a bit over as standard and with the revs let out to 3000 and big wheels some will do over 50k.

The road would want to be smooth though.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

Anyone remember the MF 148 Multipower? A flyer for its time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Zetor 8111 1988 or so upwards will do 40.

The fastest I ever got out of my 1992 zetor 8111 was 37 kmh. The plate on the side says top speed is 35 kmh. Not quiet a 40 k box but still a lot livelier than the older zetor crystal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

A bit older than the OP wants but makes up for it in the speed category. It's a Hanomag.
    `

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Were they used by the circus foxy?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

International 784 2wd was the quickest trying I drove of that era. Gears up high in the left hand side.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭einn32

I drove a 1990 JD 3050 two wheel drive for a silage season years ago and it went pretty fast. Had a torque switch I think?

I remember hitting a depression in a road on my way home one night and it threw me up out of the seat and my head went out the sun roof. I was going full tilt!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Jb1989

20silkcut wrote: »
    The fastest I ever got out of my 1992 zetor 8111 was 37 kmh. The plate on the side says top speed is 35 kmh. Not quiet a 40 k box but still a lot livelier than the older zetor crystal.

Yea it's a 35 k box. Mine does 40 at least ,tho may have got screw up befure my time but

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Sell the land and buy a nice television and a recliner chair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

JCB Fastrac is probably the fastest.
    I think they were first manufactured in 1991 ?
    As far as I know they are not great to use in land.

Advertisement