Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 15 (Lyon - Grand Colombier, 174.5 km)

Options

Comments

Thinking about it some of the buzz has gone from the Tour now. At the start I was really hoping for a ding dong battle with Ineos and Jumbo with the jersey changing hands a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

You have to try, most here (including me) are complaining at lack of action but at least Yates tried something and he's the one there so has a better idea of what's going on then us. He also has to try in order to learn and sometimes it will stick and has done in the past for him so I say Kudos to him :)

no_4 wrote: »
    I disagree , who was gonna take that on with 3 jumbo riders on the front, it was a foolish move, doomed from the start even if he had a helper
    You could see at the end he had not got the legs for a sprint or a zone 5 effort for 7 Kim’s ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

I'm staggered over how strong Jumbo are. Their domestiques are effectively outperforming other teams GC contenders. Its reminding me of the US postal days.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭no_4

You try that from 700 m out, maybe, if you sense weakness in your rival.
    Not 7km out Alone up against a team like team jumbo , they are gonna chase down any1 in top 20 In that scenario
    It felt to me like a final flourish a la Alaphilippe when he knows he’s totally cooked
    You have to try, most here (including me) are complaining at lack of action but at least Yates tried something and he's the one there so has a better idea of what's going on then us. He also has to try in order to learn and sometimes it will stick and has done in the past for him so I say Kudos to him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

redlead wrote: »
    I'm staggered over how strong Jumbo are. Their domestiques are effectively outperforming other teams GC contenders. Its reminding me of the US postal days.

Not quite as impressive as sky in 2012/13 though. They had Froome, Porte, Thomas, Uran kyreinka and Michael rogers as dom's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Thinking about it some of the buzz has gone from the Tour now. At the start I was really hoping for a ding dong battle with Ineos and Jumbo with the jersey changing hands a few times.

I think everyone expected more from Bernal, and from Ineos as well, but the time trial could be box office, and there is plenty more can happen between now and then

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭f1000

https://twitter.com/BobJungels/status/1305203763536375808

Apology from Bob Jungels over the 'thing' with Sergio Higuita today

Then seen that he got levelled by the ambulance :eek:

https://twitter.com/LeGruppetto/status/1305204243503161351

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

^^^^^
    Was Sergio Higuita driving the ambulance! :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Slovenian nationals, by 9 seconds and it was an uphill one too, but much shorter than what they face next weekend.

Was this the one where he switched bikes half way up the climb from a TT bike ot a road bike or am I mixing that up with another one of the 1000 youtube videos I watched over lockdown.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Was this the one where he switched bikes half way up the climb from a TT bike ot a road bike or am I mixing that up with another one of the 1000 youtube videos I watched over lockdown.

No, now that you mention it I think he did. Lantern Rouge had a video on his channel covering it if I recall.

• Advertisement

No, now that you mention it I think he did. Lantern Rouge had a video on his channel covering it if I recall.

I remember watching it and thinking it whats the difference between this and AquaBlue switching a bike like a front derailleur for the sprint. It was Lanterne Rouge now you mention it. Can't remember whether he deemed it a good call or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Bye bye Ineos/Sky. All hail team Jumbo are new overlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

bazermc wrote: »

This Jumbo dominance makes racing so boring.

Can't wait until other teams step up and mix it up a bit!

Give them a break for Christ’s sake
    This is first time the have been dominating

Sky’s dominance for ten years, now that was boring , and highly suspect ðŸ˜

Leroy42 wrote: »
    This Jumbo dominance makes racing so boring.

Can't wait until other teams step up and mix it up a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

I remember watching it and thinking it whats the difference between this and AquaBlue switching a bike like a front derailleur for the sprint. It was Lanterne Rouge now you mention it. Can't remember whether he deemed it a good call or not.

The bike has to come from behind, in the AquaBlue situation a soigneur had a bike up the road waiting for Adam Blythe. For Pogacar he pulled over and got the bike from the team car that was following behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

As impressive as they've been, they may still not win. Pogacar has been with Roglic the whole way and we've yet to see how Roglic is going to react without his teammates. He's bound to get isolated at some stage and there's such a little gap. I don't know, I just have a feeling Pogacar is going to steal it. It might not necessarily be decided by the TT.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭G1032

But he's right though. It makes it so boring. Was really looking forward to today's stage and it was so boring up the Colombier. Just one big train going up the climb, riding to their power meter, at such a pace that no actual racing can take place and nobody can attack.

I can see how some would marvel at that strength and get enjoyment out of it but it's not for me. I prefer to watch team leaders and GC contenders actually race one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I was being sarcastic given the abuse the Sky train has received the last number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I think its too early to write off sky yet. They still have some great talent. Covid kinda fecked up their prep so it will be interesting to see how they perform at the Giro and Veulta with some more time to prepare.

This tour squad has had questions since the selection was advertised.
    bazermc wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

I was being sarcastic given the abuse the Sky train has received the last number of years.

I, for one, got the sarcasm.

I also enjoyed the new modern train derailing the old decrepit one today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Geriant Thomas is coming into some form, needs to take 39 seconds in the ITT over 10km to win Tirreno Adriatica. Froome is still muck.

cunavalos wrote: »
    The bike has to come from behind, in the AquaBlue situation a soigneur had a bike up the road waiting for Adam Blythe. For Pogacar he pulled over and got the bike from the team car that was following behind.

Good to know, I thought that the fact that it was planned was the penalty, but I suppose you can hide that if they come from behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Essentially at some stage Roglic will have to drop Pogacar OR Pogacar will have to drop Roglic.

I'm starting to think Roglic cannot drop Pogacar. But I definitely think Pogacar can drop Roglic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

We are entering into that pretty predictable stage of every Tour where riders try to hold what they have in terms of GC position. Its a function of just how important the Tour is to their overall fortunes for the year. Its a victim of its own importance......

That’s what I thought,
    the difference being that sky had some very dubious ‘ marginal gains’ / doping episodes,
    wiggins ‘treatments’ ,
    Froomes salbutamol and miraculous transformation from unknown Dom with barlo to 4 times tour winner and
    the infamous testo patches ; to name just 3
    whereas there is no such controversy with tram jumbo

Not sure what tour the rest of you are watching but boring? Team Jumbo, for all their work got pipped by a solo rider, who done it with 'relative' ease. The points jersey as been fantastic and the Polka Dot jersey is only starting. One of the best tours in years.

Absolutely agree
    Not sure what tour the rest of you are watching but boring? Team Jumbo, for all their work got pipped by a solo rider, who done it with 'relative' ease. The points jersey as been fantastic and the Polka Dot jersey is only starting. One of the best tours in years.

Are you saying that Ineos were hampered more in their prep than all the other teams ? Strange idea

I think its too early to write off sky yet. They still have some great talent. Covid kinda fecked up their prep so it will be interesting to see how they perform at the Giro and Veulta with some more time to prepare.

This tour squad has had questions since the selection was advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

That’s what I thought,
    the difference being that sky had some very dubious ‘ marginal gains’ / doping episodes,
    wiggins ‘treatments’ ,
    Froomes salbutamol and miraculous transformation from unknown Dom with barlo to 4 times tour winner and
    the infamous testo patches ; to name just 3
    whereas there is no such controversy with tram jumbo

I m sure if anyone dug around like they did for SKY there may be similar skeletons in the cupboard of the former rabobank cycling team :rolleyes:

Where are the 'Fancy Bears' when you need them
    Or where is the Dutch parliamentary enquiry into Rabobank/ Team JV

No give me a break
    To think SKY were doing anything the other dont is totally ridiculous
    They just bought the best riders and JV have now done the same

To denigrate SKY/Ineos and hail TJV makes no sense at all

They are just the same very strong teams who ride the same and make GT racing very very boring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

what are the chances Bernal pulls out today and goes for the Vuelta? Hard to see Froome winning that, and hard to see Ineos caring too much given he is off

Advertisement