Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half ton meal bin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭emaherx

We have the JFC one, mighty job as you just leave it in what ever field you are feeding in close to the trough. Some other meal bins are hard to reach the bottom but the JFC ones are better designed.

Better to spend the money and get a proper one than messing around trying to make one that will never be as good, its only 340 quid, less in reality as it will be against tax.

Nothing wrong with the DIY option either, I just made one today and it cost me nothing as I used scraps that were lying around, even the IBC was free as I got a damaged one. I can't see what a bought one would offer that mine dosen't. I made a simple plywood lid as it will be stored indoors but wouldn't take much more to have made a weather proof one either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 21,238 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Looks at handy item, but I really want anyone selling to put their price up.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Would they be awkward to fill with meal ?

They look handy in theory but couldn’t fill one in our local hardware anyway as the shoot they use to fill is just high enough to slide a normal meal bin under.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Dairy gold have them for €300 at the moment

Water John wrote: »
    Looks at handy item, but I really want anyone selling to put their price up.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/17235753

660 sterling + VAT for this one which is very similar

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

josephsoap wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/view/17235753

660 sterling + VAT for this one which is very similar

Or free at your local roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Or free at your local roundabout.

A special deal with 1,000kg of beef nuts included.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

I use a commerical wheelie bin on wheels, holds 500kg. I bought it for €100 second hand. Not completely water proof as water leaks in through the lid when it rains heavy, but a good job when stored in a shed.

• Advertisement

50327666851_89bc578f78_c.jpgIMG_20200910_123608 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

Got a Bulk bag today, 650kg bag filled the IBC and 2 Wheelie bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭Grueller

If you dont need it sitting in a field and you have use for 4 tonne at a time just put up a silo. About €2k buys one and it's a lifetime job.

Edited to say, going to a coop every week for a half tonne bag is a job that rots my sack.

Grueller wrote: »
    If you dont need it sitting in a field and you have use for 4 tonne at a time just put up a silo. About €2k buys one and it's a lifetime job.

Edited to say, going to a coop every week for a half tonne bag is a job that rots my sack.

Just took down a 10 tonne one last year because it was rotten, it was about 40 years old to be fair, but I'm not convinced many of the newer ones would last as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭Grueller

emaherx wrote: »
    Just took down a 10 tonne one last year because it was rotten, it was about 40 years old to be fair, but I'm not convinced many of the newer ones would last as well.

Have a look at the V-mac. For my money they are a long way the best.

To be honest, I'm fine with the IBC, I'm only keeping a fraction of the cattle that we had had.

We'd 2 10 tonne bins at one stage when we kept pigs.

Just after checking them out - very handy 4 ton meal hopper here - https://www.vmacsilos.ie/products?id=46:4-ton-hopper&catid=3

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Agree of you don't need it in the field. Have a 12 tonne and 4 tonne bin with spouts that come out to the side to empty. Fill the jfc bin and out to the field with it. Just calves fed from the 4 tonne in the summer and the nuts last fine in it, 100+ euro a tonne cheaper than bags as well

Advertisement