Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half ton meal bin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Dunedin wrote: »
    Are there any other similar products but maybe cheaper. Steep enough at €340 or is that just me out of touch?

https://www.glanbiaconnect.com/shop/product/JFC-Cubic-Metre-Meal-Bin/9067114?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq5nZm8rZ6wIVDLDtCh0dvgbSEAQYASABEgKXT_D_BwE

I converted and old steel tank . Cut in half , one half is the bin , cut the other half as the cover. On a pallet , for moving around if I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

They don't fit in a 8x 4 trailer however

• Registered Users Posts: 11,250 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I have the jfc bins.

But if you have pallet forks. Could something be done with an ibc tank?
    Just cut the top off and possibly re use it again as a lid?

It'd be the same principal just perhaps €300 cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,212 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Bought one some years ago from Bandon Coop, €70 is in my head.
    The price OP has is madness for a moulded piece of recycled plastic.
    As poster above said Food grade IBC €50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

You can buy a black type box with a lid on it with 2 grooves on the bottom for your bale handler here in clare I have one a great job I think mine was about 200 a few yrs ago I can fone and get a price if you want if you send me your number on a PM I can take a picture u can throw it up here if you want as I cant upload photos not great at that sorta stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

They don't fit in a 8x 4 trailer however

Yeah it's a little wider than the JFC and doesn't stick out the back as much.
    It's a couple of inches lower too.

The way the lid is held on isn't as good either but still a good bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I have the jfc bins.

But if you have pallet forks. Could something be done with an ibc tank?
    Just cut the top off and possibly re use it again as a lid?

It'd be the same principal just perhaps €300 cheaper.

We use an ibc Very handy, holds 800kg of meal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Made one from an ibc and 2 hinged lids made from ply and 3x2s lying around. I cut the top and the dropped the sides by one of the cage rings. This makes it easier to fill. A few tech screws to screw the ibc plastic to the metal cage at the top to keep it rigid. Will hold exactly 500kg or nuts and just over 400 kg or ration. Find it great as there is less trips for a few bags and less of them cursed bags around the place. Also fits in the back of the crew cab and lift it off with pallet toes and leave into the hay shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

We have the Kingspan one. Can't see how you could waterproof a ibc after cutting top off?

• Advertisement

satstheway wrote: »
    We have the Kingspan one. Can't see how you could waterproof a ibc after cutting top off?

Splash proof rather than water proof.
    We’ve been using it for maybe 6/7 years and only once was worried at merchants with rain.
    Grabbed a roll of pallet wrap and few runs kept it perfect.

Always stored in shed at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭kk.man

_Brian wrote: »
    Splash proof rather than water proof.
    We’ve been using it for maybe 6/7 years and only once was worried at merchants with rain.
    Grabbed a roll of pallet wrap and few runs kept it perfect.

Always stored in shed at home.
    No good on in field at cattle troughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Mine had to be water proof. I move it to beside calf feeder. Very handy.

kk.man wrote: »

No use at all

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Have the jfc one. In the field with the calves near the troughs. Handy out, a bit dear but will have use year round as calf ration will be it in spring in the shed with the young calves, have trouble with bags getting destroyed. Saving the car as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭emaherx

kk.man wrote: »

Not very hard to make a better lid though. Sheet of ply, some hinges and torch on felt would sort it.

Must be savage land if your thinking of heading out with 5-600kg of meal beside a trough in this weather.

_Brian wrote: »
    Must be savage land if your thinking of heading out with 5-600kg of meal beside a trough in this weather.

Left in beside the gap near the ditch. Got sick of hauling 4 or 5 open bags of ration into and out of the car then walking up to troughs, this time of year they'd bowl you out of it as they are getting bigger as well as the ground around the trough not being the best to move in!. Park up, hop into the field the bucket is in the bin, have the troughs near filled before they get to em.

emaherx wrote: »
    Not very hard to make a better lid though. Sheet of ply, some hinges and torch on felt would sort it.
    Apex the lid and maybe some stock board or sheeting on top of ply

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭emaherx

Apex the lid and maybe some stock board or sheeting on top of ply

Sure, many ways to solve same problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭DBK1

Dunedin wrote: »
    Are there any other similar products but maybe cheaper. Steep enough at €340 or is that just me out of touch?

https://www.glanbiaconnect.com/shop/product/JFC-Cubic-Metre-Meal-Bin/9067114?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq5nZm8rZ6wIVDLDtCh0dvgbSEAQYASABEgKXT_D_BwE
    https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Farming/Farm-Hardware--Equipment/Farm-Machinery--Equipment/Jfc-Meal-Bin-0745833

€294 here if that makes them any more attractive!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Have a jfc bin and as the joke goes in our house"the best thing to land in the yard",we say that about alot of things.
    No jumping over gates or filling bags or messing and you can feed if you re on your way somewhere else or coming back or the young lads can skip down and feed them.we gave a homemade mobile trough thats getting shook so i m thinking of getting a condon mobile trough now as.you would struggle to make it for.the.price they are

K.G. wrote: »
    Have a jfc bin and as the joke goes in our house"the best thing to land in the yard",we say that about alot of things.
    No jumping over gates or filling bags or messing and you can feed if you re on your way somewhere else or coming back or the young lads can skip down and feed them.we gave a homemade mobile trough thats getting shook so i m thinking of getting a condon mobile trough now as.you would struggle to make it for.the.price they are
    A length of corripipe spilt Down the middle with. Hole drilled at the end. Loop a rope through it and pull it around with the quad bike. It's on the go for the past 5 years and they are still going strong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

I just phoned there the one I have holds 1000 kg and is 320 euro now

lab man wrote: »
    I just phoned there the one I have holds 1000 kg and is 320 euro now

JFC one? That has two openings in the top, the 750kg one with thr yellow lid is easier to empty i think

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

A length of corripipe spilt Down the middle with. Hole drilled at the end. Loop a rope through it and pull it around with the quad bike. It's on the go for the past 5 years and they are still going strong

Yeah that look great flying down the road.we move on the road a good bit and we even use it to move the calves,we throw a bit of ration in the back of it and they follow it down the road.we ve had the previous homemade one for years and wouldnt be without it now

We have the JFC one, mighty job as you just leave it in what ever field you are feeding in close to the trough. Some other meal bins are hard to reach the bottom but the JFC ones are better designed.

Better to spend the money and get a proper one than messing around trying to make one that will never be as good, its only 340 quid, less in reality as it will be against tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭kk.man

We have the JFC one, mighty job as you just leave it in what ever field you are feeding in close to the trough. Some other meal bins are hard to reach the bottom but the JFC ones are better designed.

Better to spend the money and get a proper one than messing around trying to make one that will never be as good, its only 340 quid, less in reality as it will be against tax.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

When your at it you could go the whole hog if it’s saving you tax 😂

http://mealriser.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Thanks for all the replies.

Will go with the JFC as feedback seems good.

Advertisement