Advertisement
Where is Report Post on mobile? We've made a slight change, see here
Have your say on the future of the 'Save Draft' feature in this poll
MODs please see this information notice in the mod's forum. Thanks!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Uptick in Covid19 D15

  • 08-09-2020 10:23am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ KGLady


    Currently HSE confirmed cases in West Dublin are standing at 74 per 100k of population which is very high, and there's now two schools with confirmed cases in Dublin 15. We need to stay extra careful with masks and handwashing, and keep vulnerable family and neighbours in mind.

    There's also a bit of a cold doing the rounds in some primary schools too, which is mostly sniffles and sneezes, and not a big concern. It'll be good for parents in the area to be aware of both and when to stay home/call GP.

    Stay safe :)


«1345678

Comments



  • So glad you were here to tell me about this.

    So what do we do again, wash hands you say.

    And a mask. Like Halloween? I suppose it is nearly October. Fair enough I’ll play along. Thanks op.




  • So glad you were here to tell me about this.

    So what do we do again, wash hands you say.

    And a mask. Like Halloween? I suppose it is nearly October. Fair enough I’ll play along. Thanks op.

    Idiotic post.




  • OP makes a very good point. Seems that parts of D15, Castleknock, Carpenterstown, Blanchardstown have very high cases at the minute.




  • What schools have had cases?

    It would be very helpful if they continued to publish data at the electoral area level.




  • Dublin NW on the COVID map is a huge population area.
    Covers all of Blanchardstown, Finglas, Cabra and parts of Glasnevin and Smithfield.
    Must be near 200K people.


  • Advertisement


  • ongarite wrote: »
    Dublin NW on the COVID map is a huge population area.
    Covers all of Blanchardstown, Finglas, Cabra and parts of Glasnevin and Smithfield.
    Must be near 200K people.

    It is indeed, 208K.

    No way of telling what percentage of the cases are in the D15 part of the "North West", I guess.




  • LCC has had a single case, and Sacred Heart Huntstown.




  • I'd say if everyone just follows the hand and face protocols and does what they're advised to do about majorly restricting visits to other people's homes, they'll be alright.

    I have a relative involved in supply planning for various winter contingencies and the information he has seen is that the far higher concentrations of the outbreaks in Dublin are among the more deprived areas of the City and County. That may or may not surprise people, but its a fairly sensitive topic when it comes to management of the disease and the enforcement of restrictions.




  • KGLady wrote: »
    LCC has had a single case, and Sacred Heart Huntstown.

    St ciarans hartstown, Ladyswell NS, and Mary Mother of Hope Littlepace too.




  • It's no place to be saying such and such a place has had x number of cases of the virus. I assume people are getting these 'facts' from a certain Facebuke page, but I think we can do without spreading it without definitive publicly made evidence.


  • Advertisement


  • Hurrache wrote: »
    It's no place to be saying such and such a place has had x number of cases of the virus. I assume people are getting these 'facts' from a certain Facebuke page, but I think we can do without spreading it without definitive publicly made evidence.

    Can confirm that Ladyswell NS has at least two confirmed cases as my daughter was in the same class as one of them and another class was also closed.




  • Just been informed that Coolmine Community college has a case




  • Hurrache wrote: »
    It's no place to be saying such and such a place has had x number of cases of the virus. I assume people are getting these 'facts' from a certain Facebuke page, but I think we can do without spreading it without definitive publicly made evidence.

    Your assumptions are incorrect - in the case of my own kids school I have a letter from the HSE. Policy in most schools so far seems to be only student parents are directly notified so there's no publicly released evidence. I'm not a Facebook user so I've no idea what panic pages are spreading there, nor do I care! But I do care about community transmission in the area as it impacts our daily lives and it puts our family and friends at risk. IMO reliable information is so important to help make the right choices to get the balance between risks and a reasonable daily life.




  • KGLady wrote: »
    so there's no publicly released evidence.

    And that's the point.




  • Hurrache wrote: »
    And that's the point.

    So your point is...? Are we not allowed to talk about it because there isn't a spreadsheet in the Irish Times?




  • Hurrache wrote: »
    And that's the point.

    Should we stay off the Neighbourhood watch thread also considering most of that is incident that people have heard about through word of mouth?




  • Uptick.




  • RoryMac wrote: »
    Just been informed that Coolmine Community college has a case

    Do you mean Coolmine Community School?




  • Why do people need to know what schools have cases or suspected cases ? The people that need to know....know. The rest just seems like nosiness to me or people have an agenda against schools being open.




  • GVHOT wrote: »
    Why do people need to know what schools have cases or suspected cases ? The people that need to know....know. The rest just seems like nosiness to me or people have an agenda against schools being open.

    I think it useful for people to know it's not gone away, that they still need to follow protocols.


  • Advertisement


  • Schools remaining open should stay our main priority imo. I worry there's a level of burnout/complacency in a lot of people, I reckon that the stark reality of local kids testing positive across the wider area is a very strong indicator of community transmission and its worth discussing. In addition given the reality of large classrooms in the area (heavily subscribed schools) chances of further spread are high if we are not super careful. The reality is local pubs are serving without adhering to the restrictions, take a walk around Blanch SC and you'll see a lack of distancing and masks under chins and noses, and outside some local schools at peak times the footpaths are rammed and distancing isn't possible.

    All of this is a huge concern for me when I think of my local elderly parents who won't survive the sickness. I've had it back in early March and am still medicated for the ongoing health problems its left me with (no previous underlying conditions) I've no idea where I got it, and I while believed I was being careful I still got sick. These numbers of new cases in Dublin aren't abstract, its localised enough that the kids in the area are popping up positive in multiple different schools across very different social demographics. There isn't going to be newspaper or RTE coverage, and todays farce on Level 2 but not really and not Level 3 doesn't inspire confidence.

    Personally speaking I don't use Facebook or mass Whatsapp groups and have no interest in gossip or being nosey, but I like D15 boards because it can be a place of genuine discussion with a wider local group. Not everyone on the interwebs is here for cynicism or gossip :p




  • beauf wrote: »
    I think it useful for people to know it's not gone away, that they still need to follow protocols.

    My god its part of every conversation, every news broadcast, every radio show, every newspaper. You're telling me people need to know the exact schools that have had a case or suspected case helps them know it hasn't gone away ?!:eek:

    Every street, every business, every shop, school.....hell everywhere there is coronavirus signage and hand sanitiser.

    I'm sorry but it still sounds like nosiness to me. I don't see topics, facebook pages and twitter accounts set up to track ever case in households and businesses.




  • I dunno I don't watch or listen to most of that stuff.

    But it seems that people in D15, and its seems to be the younger age group, think a) it doesn't effect them, and b) its mostly somewhere else.
    Because they are around in large groups and no masks. No masks is a lot more common than it was.

    I'm not saying that it not some people being taking an excessive interest in it. That doesn't mean it has no value.




  • EiOx5c6WoAIEP5-?format=jpg&name=medium

    Easier to understand graphic.
    Corduff to Tyrellstown to Swords has highest rate of cases in Dublin NW




  • KGLady wrote: »
    So your point is...? Are we not allowed to talk about it because there isn't a spreadsheet in the Irish Times?

    Lol. Voilà




  • Larbre34 wrote: »
    I have a relative involved in supply planning for various winter contingencies and the information he has seen is that the far higher concentrations of the outbreaks in Dublin are among the more deprived areas of the City and County. That may or may not surprise people, but its a fairly sensitive topic when it comes to management of the disease and the enforcement of restrictions.

    Also voilà.

    The disease is precisely concentrated in areas of deprivation. Poor living conditions or poor levels of personal responsibility? Probably a bit of both.




  • https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-is-spreading-most-in-deprived-areas-the-figures-suggest-1.4358795

    "The first set of data shows how the virus is, by and large, spreading most in areas of deprivation. These are also areas with high proportions of immigrants and “new Irish”, indicating perhaps that the public health messaging is not reaching these sections of the population"

    Interesting point in Irish Times above on how COVID is spreading in areas with many non nationals. I do think that if you are a recent immigrant(last 5 or 10 years) to this country and English is not your first language, you will not tend to watch, listen or read Irish news, check Irish news apps online, your home country peers, friends etc also living here may be similar so it's not being discussed at meet ups, on phone calls, whatsapp groups etc so there might be an oblivious nature to the seriousness of what's going on with COVID and what precautions to take.

    Also, the fact many recent immigrants tend to live together in large numbers in single households, sharing bedrooms etc for cheaper rents/economic necessity, continuing to mingle and visiting other similar households where their fellow nationals live could be a contributing factor also to higher case rates. Dublin 15 has many areas that fall under this category of large non national populations.




  • I would also say that these areas have the youngest population in Dublin 15 with a large amount of schools co-located next to each other.


  • Advertisement


  • Larbre34 wrote: »
    Also voilà.

    The disease is precisely concentrated in areas of deprivation. Poor living conditions or poor levels of personal responsibility? Probably a bit of both.

    Overwhelmingly a personal responsibility issue.


Advertisement