Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have NPHET lost the attention of people?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Ah now, you can't be at that. It's a Y or N vote, don't ye know?
    I guess I'm no then :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Threads merged and poll reset

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I wouldn't say disband - rather restructured.
    I think there should be representatives from the Department of Finance, Public Expenditure & Business as well as representatives from the CSO added to it.
    Sure perhaps throw in representatives from the business community, trade unions, religious and other social partners and we can fill the conference centre when it meets.

It's a medical committee to advise the government on public health. That's it. It's up to the government to consider economic implications.

These NPHET this and NPHET that debates are pure ignorant, they are doing the job they are asked to do which is give public health advice. I don't want that advice to be filtered through publicans or economists.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,516 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thats me wrote: »
    I'm not agree. In front of all it was decided earlier that we need new poll. The other consideration - ability to change nickname in the internet is a kind of additional degree of freedom. If you not agree with poster then provide your argument on subject, not on theirs boards' account.

Hi I'm not agree! I'm Dad banie01 :D
    In that case?
    If account age doesn't matter? Why did the Muppet who created the poll ask the Moderators to keep an eye on new accounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

Can't vote on the new poll.

My vote "N" seem was counted. You probably have chosen wrong answer :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I'm not agree. In front of all it was decided earlier that we need new poll. The other consideration - ability to change nickname in the internet is a kind of additional degree of freedom. If you not agree with poster then provide your argument on subject, not on theirs boards' account.

Not agree what? The guy with the new poll asked that Mods to look out for new sign ups when he's one himself. Did you miss that bit??

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Not agree what? The guy with the new poll asked that Mods to look out for new sign ups when he's one himself. Did you miss that bit??

Fcuk, i missed this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Necro wrote: »
    Mod:

Threads merged and poll reset

Why?

And what was the score?

Seven Worlds will Collide

Why?

And what was the score?

My post on it was censored out..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I wouldn't say disband - rather restructured.
    I think there should be representatives from the Department of Finance, Public Expenditure & Business as well as representatives from the CSO added to it.
    I also think there should be a chief virologist appointed.

Why? What expertise would they bring to a body whose remit is public health and oh what is a 'chief' virologist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

hmmm wrote: »
    Sure perhaps throw in representatives from the business community, trade unions, religious and other social partners and we can fill the conference centre when it meets.

It's a medical committee to advise the government on public health. That's it. It's up to the government to consider economic implications.

These NPHET this and NPHET that debates are pure ignorant, they are doing the job they are asked to do which is give public health advice. I don't want that advice to be filtered through publicans or economists.

They give press conferences in advanced of the government making decisions.

They have a huge sway over a lot of the public that they shouldn't have.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    They give press conferences in advanced of the government making decisions.

They have a huge sway over a lot of the public that they shouldn't have.

Is this good or bad? :rolleyes:

Is this good or bad? :rolleyes:

Bad obviously.

It means the public are being overinfluenced on purely NPHET's remit.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

Ireland currently have a lower covid case rate than every single one of our European neighbours.
    NPHET are not perfect, but have played an important in bringing these infection rates down. We should be thankful to them for that.
    It is very sad that over two thousand people have died from the disease since it arrived. However, this reduction gives us reason to be optimistic at the moment. It is allowing us to open some of our businesses and reduce some of the restrictions for Christmas, and breathing space until the vaccination arrives.

Enwv0KzWMAw7mGt?format=jpg&name=medium

Bad obviously.

It means the public are being overinfluenced on purely NPHET's remit.

OK, i have opposite opinion. For myself it is good that the NPHET are keeping me updated. And good to know NPHET's recommendations are being ignored by government which is cause of extending restrictions.

Personally, i think you would feel more comfortable somewhere in countries like China where information is made public after government approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

For myself it is good that the NPHET are keeping me updated.

That’s a fair opinion and one which no one could fault you for! But if reports in the media last week are to be believed, cabinet don't believe NPHET have been giving them accurate data, so with that in mind can you trust the information they are proving the government and by extension the public is without bias??

That’s a fair opinion and one which no one could fault you for! But if reports in the media last week are to be believed, cabinet don't believe NPHET have been giving them accurate data, so with that in mind can you trust the information they are proving the government and by extension the public is without bias??

Which information you mean? Stats published on gov.ie, daily updates from hse.ie or information about current recommendations provided by NPHET?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

A lot of people might just be sick of listening to an unelected government wearing blinkers imposing draconian rules on them. Curtailing life and possibly doing more harm than good to the population at this stage. IMO.

Can not agree with this post there is not might about it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

A lot of people might just be sick of listening to an unelected government wearing blinkers imposing draconian rules on them. Curtailing life and possibly doing more harm than good to the population at this stage. IMO.
    Can not agree with this post there is not might about it.:D

Ironically, the people elect a parliament, not a government.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Which information you mean? Stats published on gov.ie, daily updates from hse.ie or information about current recommendations provided by NPHET?
    NPHET get their data from the HSPC like everyone else. Like the HSE they are getting data that is not made public. The CSO is another source. Where NPHET differs from all others is in modelling, some good, some not so good. Ultimately they they put it all together as advice. Up until June that advice was understandably the government advice, now it's just another piece of advice that can inform government decisions.

• Advertisement

Maybe I should have re-phrased it, was half asleep with a few scoops on me. The Government feel NPHET have deliberately left out information when providing advice. For example, in the letter to government a few weeks back recommending Level 5, they gave a number of predictions as to what would happen if government didn't follow the advice contained in the letter.

One bone of contention which was publicised at the time and appeared again in the media last week was that when asked to explain the data they had available which drew them to come to the conclusions outlined in the letter, NPHET would not provide it.

Several people have since reverse calculated the numbers outlined in the letter and concluded that NPHET can only have used Imperial Modeling when predicting x amount of cases etc should we not go to Level 5. The very same modeling that has been accepted as flawed.

Its akin to providing the answers to your maths homework and not writing down yous "workings". Then telling teacher they don't need it and to trust that your answer is right.

Maybe I should have re-phrased it, was half asleep with a few scoops on me. The Government feel NPHET have deliberately left out information when providing advice. For example, in the letter to government a few weeks back recommending Level 5, they gave a number of predictions as to what would happen if government didn't follow the advice contained in the letter.

One bone of contention which was publicised at the time and appeared again in the media last week was that when asked to explain the data they had available which drew them to come to the conclusions outlined in the letter, NPHET would not provide it.

Several people have since reverse calculated the numbers outlined in the letter and concluded that NPHET can only have used Imperial Modeling when predicting x amount of cases etc should we not go to Level 5. The very same modeling that has been accepted as flawed.

I haven't seen that email and there are no flawless models. I think everything is lot simpler - all of this is just because NPHET is "failing to consult Cabinet in advance of recommending a drastic move to Level Five." ;)
    Its akin to providing the answers to your maths homework and not writing down yous "workings". Then telling teacher they don't need it and to trust that your answer is right.

Doesn not it looking more like government went to NPHET for recommendation and offended by receiving bitter medicine instead of candy?

I haven't seen that email and there are no flawless models. I think everything is lot simpler - all of this is just because NPHET is "failing to consult Cabinet in advance of recommending a drastic move to Level Five." ;)

Thats not the article I was referring to, but its serves as another reminder of a disconnect or dare I say it, diminishing levels of trust between them.
    Doesn not it looking more like government went to NPHET for recommendation and offended by receiving bitter medicine instead of candy?

NPHET provided advice, Gov wanted clarity on the basis of the advice and were not given it! That raises questions as to the quality of the advice if the entity providing it are not willing to substantiate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭PommieBast

When I look at Worldometers NPHET talking about a precarious position sounds very hollow. They should not have called wolf all summer if they wanted people to actually believe them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,437 ✭✭✭✭kippy

PommieBast wrote: »
    When I look at Worldometers NPHET talking about a precarious position sounds very hollow. They should not have called wolf all summer if they wanted people to actually believe them.
    What's hollow about it?
    Makes perfect sense.
    Essentially a warning to all people to continue with the basics for the next few months or the numbers will increase as they did in September/October....with similiar or maybe worse results....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭PommieBast

kippy wrote: »
    What's hollow about it?
    Makes perfect sense.
    Essentially a warning to all people to continue with the basics for the next few months or the numbers will increase as they did in September/October....with similiar or maybe worse results....
    Making sense doesn't imply buy-in. They spent the whole summer talking about critical days and weeks, so with numbers clearly going down recycling the same message just earns a reputation for scaremongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,437 ✭✭✭✭kippy

PommieBast wrote: »
    Making sense doesn't imply buy-in. They spent the whole summer talking about critical days and weeks, so with numbers clearly going down recycling the same message just earns a reputation for scaremongering.
    We are in the midst of a pandemic, the likes of which has been rarely seen before. Pretty much every day is critical in one way or another.
    Recycling the message doesn't make the message any less true.

OK, i have opposite opinion. For myself it is good that the NPHET are keeping me updated. And good to know NPHET's recommendations are being ignored by government which is cause of extending restrictions.

Personally, i think you would feel more comfortable somewhere in countries like China where information is made public after government approval.

How about we have financial experts being given the same air time to give their doom and gloom about the economy?

In the interests of balance.

And your irrelevant opinion on me couldn't be further from the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Got to ask, who's that Journalist, I think from the Irish Times who attends the press conferences, he's an absolute A***hole

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

How about we have financial experts being given the same air time to give their doom and gloom about the economy? In the interests of balance.

Are you scared with this? :confused:

Advertisement