Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay at home dad

Options
  • 02-09-2020 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭

I've been working from home the last few months and the kids went back to school last week. I've really enjoyed getting up earlier to get their brekkie and stuff ready and dropping and collecting from school and all the other housey stuff that has to be done ....got me thinking that if herself earned enough money in her job ( she doesn't by the way) I'd love to finish up my job and become a full time stay at home dad .......given a choice would you ever consider it?

Comments

gifted wrote: »
    I've been working from home the last few months and the kids went back to school last week. I've really enjoyed getting up earlier to get their brekkie and stuff ready and dropping and collecting from school and all the other housey stuff that has to be done ....got me thinking that if herself earned enough money in her job ( she doesn't by the way) I'd love to finish up my job and become a full time stay at home dad .......given a choice would you ever consider it?

You'll be ridiculed for eternity.

Best keep that nugget hidden in a closet under lock and key.

I remember about 10 years ago in then BDO darts a fella called Glen Moody(?) got to the final and they quoted his job as a house husband ðŸ˜

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Think I would actually. I could go to the gym, do the shopping, cleaning and other chores while I had the house to myself. Could be quite nice actually.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I was doing it for the best part of a year while I was between jobs enjoyed it mostly. Ya there where times when i got bored couldn't wait to get out of the house but mostly the routine I had was easy to keep going.

It's really not as hard as some make it out to be having to go to work and be out there can be a lot harder mentally and physically.

The biggest draw back of being a stay at home parent is the isolation from the outside world you can feel at times especially when your bascially talking to kids all day!

Ultimately I don't think men are taken seriously in this role at all even if there actually good at it. You get the impression it's a case of what the **** you doing at home you should be out working!

Also let's be honest in most cases I really don't think men are given much credit when it comes to looking after kids. Where not all hopeless at it either in many cases where actually better!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I did it for about 18 months, several years ago. Great experience.
    Dropping the kids to school, minding a toddler, keeping the house ticking over, preparing meals. It's full on, but very rewarding.

Reality meant we eventually needed the second income again.

If you think you'll be "ridiculed for eternity", I would consider the company I keep.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Yes please - no more up at 5.45

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,487 ✭✭✭brevity

I remember about 10 years ago in then BDO darts a fella called Glen Moody(?) got to the final and they quoted his job as a house husband ðŸ˜

It’s 2020 not the 1980’s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I don't think men's brains are programmed to be looking after kids all day. I don't think they would be as good at it as women, who are naturally programmed to be caregivers for small babies and children. I think it is why you rarely see male primary school teachers and in creches, motessori schools etc is it most exceedingly rare to see males as staff.

I, as a man, would literally would have no idea whatsoever about what to do with a baby or toddler but I think a woman would just pick it up easier with minimal instruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I quit my job with a pension in 2003 and did the house husband/stay at home dad bit. Wife earns a lot more, and the loss of my salary was mostly offset by savings in creche fees. Fun, hard work, thankless, always the one on call, tiring...

Some of the terms I'd use.

Never ridiculed by anyone ever, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I don't think men's brains are programmed to be looking after kids all day. I don't think they would be as good at it as women, who are naturally programmed to be caregivers for small babies and children. I think it is why you rarely see male primary school teachers and in creches, motessori schools etc is it most exceedingly rare to see males as staff.

I, as a man, would literally would have no idea whatsoever about what to do with a baby or toddler but I think a woman would just pick it up easier with minimal instruction.

I don't think it makes any difference weather your a man or woman sure some women are awful with kids. It's not this natural thing that anyone of any gender is born with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Absolutely. I'm working from home these days on my own business. But have much more free time to do the stay at home dad stuff. Its the best decision I ever made. Hopefully the business stuff will take off and I'll be busy with that but when it does I'll miss the stay at home dad aspect.

• Advertisement

Unadulterated nonsense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm in my thirties and I've realised that life is simply too short to be wasting on what eejits think. If I do the whole marriage and reproduction thing and this were viable, I'd be interested. I'd seriosly consider it and the opinions of the sorts of people who'd judge me for it and deem it worthy of ridicule aren't people I'd be associating with.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

I have been doing it for last 12 years, we used to laugh about the idea before we had kids, I worked in construction and work dried up completely during recession and I just stayed at home and herself has a good job and all money goes in to one pot, not a big drinker anymore don't gamble and enjoy keeping a nice house and garden, do all paintings and decorating all repairs and maintenance, cook all meals from scratch and play loads of golf and do a good bit of cycling. Its about turning a negative in to a positive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I'd love to finish up my job and become a full time stay at home dad .......given a choice would you ever consider it?

In a heartbeat. The main issue for me would be trying to reenter the workforce later on. You would be effectively abandoning your career by taking so much time out at a critical age. Few companies are willing to hire someone 40+ ime

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

This is something that comes under the toxic masculinity spectrum. The idea that a man can't stay at home and work, or look after and raise his kids instead of the wife doing it.

Speaking as a separated dad, I'd absolutely kill for the opportunity to have my own kids live with me and take the chance to raise them myself.

Being a good dad is about looking after and caring for your kids, not necessarily being out 14 hours of the day at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Nickla

just highlighted the only parts of this post that make any sense - this post must be a wind up :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Go for it.

Much better than farming your own kids off to some childminder to stare out the window for the day.

Kids need the attention of their parents. It is nurture. A total no-brainer for at least one parent per household staying at home to keep the family going.

In saying all that you would not stop me nipping into the bookies for my daily yankee. I would be able to grab 9 holes in most mornings. Nice. Outsourcing the ironing, you can see where this is going don't you? Hoovers are very noisy all things considered. The worktop and the cooker might start looking very used after a while? Mmm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

I'd do it in heartbeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

This is rubbish. It is not a gender thing. I would say it is a personality thing. Many men are extremely good with children. I stayed home, loved it, kids loved it. Grand job. I was a very affectionate earth-mother-style mammy of small babies, breastfeeding until they were 2, constant sling contact, shared bed etc. But as they grew past infanthood himself became far more the sentimental caregiver, while I was the strict one. He is to this day far more tactile with our grown up kids, spends hours chatting on the phone with them, I loathe talking on phones, he is much more emotionally available to them than me and softer. I absolutely love the freedom from kids, he misses them. I am in short a monster! :) The kids know all this. They know I love them and would give my life for them but they know to talk to Daddy. Still, if the absolute shyte hits the fan they dial my number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭raclle

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Speaking as a separated dad, I'd absolutely kill for the opportunity to have my own kids live with me and take the chance to raise them myself.
    I hear ya. Practically missed mine growing up as only saw them on weekends. Was really depressed especially when it came to Xmas and other occasions. Its the small things you miss most though when you're at home with them everyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My dad was a stay at home dad in the 80’s. I don’t remember anyone saying anything off about it and in hindsight as a parent I can see what a wonderful job he did. He was far better suited for it than my mother who hasn’t a maternal bone in her body and is too lazy to care for a home.

During the last recession both myself and my husband lost jobs so we each had a spell of being a stay at home parent. I hated it but he enjoyed it bar the lack of adult company.

I admire any person who chooses to do it, there are huge benefits if it suits your personality and lifestyle. I can’t imagine the idea of stay at home dads is ridiculous or joke worthy unless your a bit of a dope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I was the house husband for 9 months between jobs.

I did all the breakfasts, lunches, cleaning, driving to school, collecting from school, homework and evening meals.

It could be intense at times. Although there were periods of tedium and solitude in the dark winter months.

There is still a stigma attached.

Maybe not explicitly mentioned, but sometimes there's a vibe of "What is a man looking after his children for?"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

My wife would be the main earner in our household , potentially with far higher earning potential in the longterm. She is in the Pharma sector and is steadily progressing in the company, it would not be unforseeable that in 5-10 years she would earn enough for me to be a stay at home husband if we wanted it.

I work in engineering and whilst its a good job it doesnt pay like pharma does , not unless you want to work away from your family for months at a time.

I would seriously consider it as i generally like cooking , keeping the house tidy, i am pretty good at DIY and would take on plenty of projects to keep the house looking class. But both of us working does provide some additional comfort for luxuries right now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Gruffalox wrote: »
    This is rubbish. It is not a gender thing. I would say it is a personality thing. Many men are extremely good with children. I stayed home, loved it, kids loved it. Grand job. I was a very affectionate earth-mother-style mammy of small babies, breastfeeding until they were 2, constant sling contact, shared bed etc. But as they grew past infanthood himself became far more the sentimental caregiver, while I was the strict one. He is to this day far more tactile with our grown up kids, spends hours chatting on the phone with them, I loathe talking on phones, he is much more emotionally available to them than me and softer. I absolutely love the freedom from kids, he misses them. I am in short a monster! :) The kids know all this. They know I love them and would give my life for them but they know to talk to Daddy. Still, if the absolute shyte hits the fan they dial my number.

Nah, you're not.You got all the touchy feely stuff while they were at major touchy feely ages.You can appreciate it more when it moves on.Love ny kiddies (still small) but jebus, personal space and headspace is at a premium when they are around.

Loads more dads are hands-on today.I think it is great.Stay at home is hard work with small kids though. I am a working mum and my job keeps me sane.There is a mental load that goes with being the ...well, mother, but probably if you were staying at home you would have to take on the mental load more too - remembering the notes from school, the money for schools/preschools, new shoes and clothes, registering for extra-curricular activities, planning how to get them to swimming lessons but also get dinner and keep the non-swimming children occupied during the lesson....all that stuff.Golf courses and gyms would probably be few and far between!!It is a lonely enough thing to do at the same time, you do find yourself blathering on to any adult you meet when you are at home with kids all day.

Most people would not ridicule you though and anyone who is silly enough to, is not worth your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

If it were possible I'd absolutely consider it. We've only got the one so that's a bit easier than others. I get up with the little one every morning, get her her breakfast and dressed. When she's out with Mam I tend to run around and do a bit of cleaning in the kitchen and living room. Once I finish work I'm straight into playing with the little one, giving her her supper and then putting her to bed.

I absolutely love being a Dad. I'm quite happy at the weekend for the missus to go off and have a day to herself while I look after our little one (she's three). Definitely I don't believe women are inherently better at looking after kids. It's all to do with the person, be they female or male makes no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PerryB78

One of the hardest jobs in the world, would do it in a heartbeat though if we could afford it. I have full respect for stay at home mams or dads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

It depends. If the kids are going to creche/school then that's not so bad. We just had our second baby(7 months)and I can tell you there is nobody on the planet that would want to be stuck at home with her. There would be no chores getting done nevermind gym. I can do the school runs while working full time so when both are on school my missus will go back to work I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

I did it for the most part for the last 15 years. For me it was challenging as my sense of self worth fell with not having a traditional career. I worked part time around the kids and I studied a good bit and got a fair few qualifications. That was more for me though. Society doesn't for the most part rate stay at home parents, much less stay at home Dads. Reactions could be envious, patronising to disdain.

All of the children are teenagers and with the exception of one year we only had help one or two days a week when I was in college. I'm taking up a full time role again next month as college needs to be paid for and I'm looking forward to the challenge of that but I'm also aware of the lack of time Í'm going to have going forward. Half the country does it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Was sole carer for my son between his 3rd and 10th birthdays.
    Was lucky enough to have good family support and a great employer.

I will always regret the circumstance that led to my being the "stay-at-home" dad, but if nothing else I'll always be grateful for the bond that the time shared with my son has given us.

Anyone who thinks it's demeaning or emasculating to care for and be the primary carer for your kids?
    Is a moron!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

I do it no great science to it, just if there is something to be done we just do it. No rolls here we all get stuck in put our shoulder to the wheel. Wife seems to be in a steadier employment to me and happy in her job, happy wife happy life I do say.

Advertisement