Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Maybe it has already been mentioned but the UN have this tweet and image a day or two ago for a Utopian vision for a place they call Equiterra. Among all the positive street names they have a building called Toxic Masculinity Recycling Centre. I find that very insulting on behalf of my lovely sons and their friends and all the men I know who are really good people doing good things. What a kick in the balls. If a global NGO had a campaign that centred Female Bitch Recycling I would feel horrified on behalf of my daughters and all the good women I know If it is really Equiterra and everything is equal and there must be a toxic masculinity centre than have a Toxic Feminity Recycling Centre too. I really find this casual, pervasive and NGO approved misandry to be disgusting.

https://twitter.com/UN_Women/status/1343294346590904322?s=19

^^Women shur.. bloody typical..

But seriously, what is more worrying that anything about this sort of craic is how stupid it is, and that it's becoming so pervasive..

Infantilisation..

^^Women shur.. bloody typical..

But seriously, what is more worrying that anything about this sort of craic is how stupid it is, and that it's becoming so pervasive..

Infantilisation..

I do not believe it is typical of women. Or maybe I have self selected a circle of women who are not nasty. But it has certainly become pervasive in the media or activism or whatever this astro turfed atnosphere qualifies as being. I would hate my lads to see that image. Although they are tough and would rip the p1ss out of it. Though at this stage in a kind of jaded cynical way that has its own poignancy. It is embarrassing.

Gruffalux wrote: »
    I do not believe it is typical of women. Or maybe I have self selected a circle of women who are not nasty.

It's not typical of women. It's typical of the men and women who champion women's rights, and need men to be the enemy. A lot of people have been conditioned to believe these things, or have chosen to believe them. Thank you, America.
    But it has certainly become pervasive in the media or activism or whatever this astro turfed atnosphere qualifies as being. I would hate my lads to see that image. Although they are tough and would rip the p1ss out of it. Though at this stage in a kind of jaded cynical way that has its own poignancy. It is embarrassing.

It's dangerous, because it's becoming accepted in organisations who have the ability to teach/promote it to others, including the uneducated in many countries. Imagine if the UN decided to teach the belief in Toxic Masculinity, as considered by feminists, in all their educational/support facilities worldwide? We'll help develop your community, provide food and medicine, but you should accept what we say is true....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Just had to listen to a colleague ranting about how it's a man's world, based on her reading a story about a woman escaping an abusive husband and then the husband only getting a 4 year sentence.

She went on to moan about how it's always men abusing women and not the other way, no matter what people say. (That was a dig at me as I've given her stats before about how men are approaching 40% in terms of victims of reported domestic abuse).

Also 4 years was far too lenient (probably true) and the light sentence was because he was a man. I could have pointed out that statistically men are both more likely to be convicted and also receive a higher sentence than a woman convicted of the same crime. But why bother, its in one ear and out the other (as there's damn all in between) and I'd only end up being reported for being a misogynistic bastard.

It's a man's world after all. Even though men make up the majority of workplace deaths, suicides and the homeless population. If its a man's world we seem to be doing it wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Not enough trans disabled sex workers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/12/28/us/andre-hill-adam-coy-fired/index.html

“Adam Coy, the Columbus, Ohio, police officer who shot and killed Andre Hill, was fired Monday, according to a statement from Public Safety Director Ned Pettus Jr.

Coy's termination follows a disciplinary hearing held earlier in the day. The local chapter of the Fraternal Order of Police represented him at the hearing.”

The tide is turning…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

Where's the "woke" in that article, Emmet?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Morathi wrote: »
    Where's the "woke" in that article, Emmet?

Sorry, M, I should have copied in more of the article. The cop who was fired shot, and killed, a man of colour who was holding a mobile phone.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭gw80

Sorry, M, I should have copied in more of the article. The cop who was fired shot, and killed, a man of colour who was holding a mobile phone.
    Where's the woke?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,827 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

In my job my department hired both men and women who lets say, didn’t work out.

The job we are talking about is about 60% - 70% behind a PC, 30-40% manual physical work.

Female #1... , hard worker, did her share of everything, never complained, no issues, a can do lady.

Female #2... 5’0... so slight you’d be worried the wind would blow her over... a tryer certainly, no lack of application and a good person full of effort but didn’t have the physicality for the work, struggling majorly... which in fairness was predicted...

The manager confided that is was simply a tick box hiring as he needed to be seen to be hiring females into a department that was historically 100% male dominated due to probably the physical nature of some of the work, forklifting driving, use of pallet trucks in addition to the office etc.... his solution...she ended up just being given the office work all day, every day, while the rest of just had to do her share of physical and labour intensive work.. going home on a Friday cream crackered... when it was queried..we were told that he was playing to her strengths as was a legitimate option, this despite the fact she was on the mobile every 5 minutes to one of us looking to help with A, B and C...she didn’t have strengths, just lesser weaknesses.

She lasted about a year, a suitable candidate was hired to replace her.

Our manager apologized, he’d taken a wrong tact... one he didn’t repeat, lesson learned..hire the best, forget the rest, regardless of age, race, gender or any other woke tick box bôllocks... all male team ? all female team ? As long as they are the best team, go right ahead.

Seems to be only the emoyers disciplinary aspect. Criminal charges pending?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,284 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Tragic. Given how armed and violent American society is, it's incredible that so few innocents are shot each year by police.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

gw80 wrote: »
    Where's the woke?

There isn't any.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,927 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/12/28/us/andre-hill-adam-coy-fired/index.html

“Adam Coy, the Columbus, Ohio, police officer who shot and killed Andre Hill, was fired Monday, according to a statement from Public Safety Director Ned Pettus Jr.

Coy's termination follows a disciplinary hearing held earlier in the day. The local chapter of the Fraternal Order of Police represented him at the hearing.”

You're trying too hard.

:pac:

They spelt "representation" wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

#StayWoke

Tony EH wrote: »
    :pac:

They spelt "representation" wrong.

Two possible reasons -
    1) They know in their heart they are taking the p-
    2) The spell-checker was too busy making sure each coupling was suitably diverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I see Frankie Boyle is giving out to Ricky Gervais for his lack of respect towards trans people. This is the same Frankie Boyle who spent so much time making fun of a child with special needs, even incorporating incestual rape into it.

Omackeral wrote: »
    I see Frankie Boyle is giving out to Ricky Gervais for his lack of respect towards trans people. This is the same Frankie Boyle who spent so much time making fun of a child with special needs, even incorporating incestual rape into it.

''Venus Williams has brought something different to the women’s game – male genitalia.'' ~ Frankie Boyle.

The internet never forgets.

• Advertisement

What's the context?

I actually heard bits of him being interviewed by Louie Theroux a while ago..
    Tbh I never liked him anyway, but the dude is just an idiot.. either too stupid to see the hypocrisy in what he's saying or else just lying because he's pushing a line..
    You'd wonder how these people look themselves in the mirror a lot of the time..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I have any comedians back who pushes the envelope on woke boloxes.

Gervais was the first chunt to come out with virtue signaling such as his aversion to advertising etc etc. Comedians with standards make me vomit. Gervais is definitely capable of patronising the crowd and as good as a writer he is, I think his stand up is not very funny?

Their job is to get on stage and make me laugh, I don't care how.

In fairness to Boyle he goes for it and that is important with comedy, it is supposed to be edgy- that's what makes it funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Frankie is the establishment now, embedded and content within the cosiness of the BBC.

I still like his very descriptive written polemics against the politics he hates (British Conservatism, natch).
    I shake my head at his utter cowardice in his craft - comedy always challenged the dominant narrative and the absurd, delighting and educating in pointing out completely contradictory bullsh1te.

Frankie seems to have taken the safety of the career pound in exchange for his conformity (and ginger bollocks)

Just watching Emma there on BBC and it never fails to amaze me how more militant feminists haven't started burning their Bronté and Jane Austen classics collection over the drib drab of 18th century wimmin, fawning and doing cartwheels over 18th century rich ****, treating them like hookers and juggling their advances as if they are at some sort of a slave auction?

It really goes to highlight the hypocrisy of the modern woke 3rd millenium feminist, when the stark reality is that the Brontés', Jane Austen and Mary Shelley were forking it out good and hard over 200 years ago.

It must make them seethe and I have to admit enjoying the irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Just watching Emma there on BBC and it never fails to amaze me how more militant feminists haven't started burning their Bronté and Jane Austen classics collection over the drib drab of 18th century wimmin, fawning and doing cartwheels over 18th century rich ****, treating them like hookers and juggling their advances as if they are at some sort of a slave auction?

It really goes to highlight the hypocrisy of the modern woke 3rd millenium feminist, when the stark reality is that the Brontés', Jane Austen and Mary Shelley were forking it out good and hard over 200 years ago.

It must make them seethe and I have to admit enjoying the irony.

I take it you've never read any of the Brontes or Mary Shelley?

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I take it you've never read any of the Brontes or Mary Shelley?

I have read them all.

You are not getting my point?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I have read them all.

You are not getting my point?

Which Bronte wrote anything like Ms. Austen? Any of their novels in particular you are referring to? Frankenstein is similar it Pride and Prejudice how?

I just adore period dramas and I'm a bit of a bolshie dame. This can create conflict. My politically incorrect discourse includes phrases like ''shan't'' ''I say!'' and ''why ever not'' after a binge.

• Advertisement

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Which Bronte wrote anything like Ms. Austen? Any of their novels in particular you are referring to? Frankenstein is similar it Pride and Prejudice how?

That is very subjective of you?

And sexist.

Frankenstein was written 5 years after PnP. They are completely different stories, one is shight, the other is compelling. I am not telling you which, just go and read them and find out for yourself.

You are reaching further than an Austen heroine turning up overdressed for the annual ball?

You are still not getting the point, instead you are seething like an undercut 3rd millenium feminist. Don't lower yourself, you are better than that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement