Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X does America on RTE

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,790 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Has Francis Brennan or Dermot Bannon done any (yet)?

How about send them both to Syria instead?
    One way of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

siblers wrote: »
    The Podcast is very good and they do some really good interviews on it but they just don't really work on TV. This was pretty awful, just very cringe and been done to death loads of times before, probably would have worked better as 5 minute episodes on YouTube or Instagram etc

The voice over script/narration is awful too, was hoping it would have been for better

The RTE gig was handy enough got when their podcast producer is already an RTE employee. Standard RTE jobs for the boys stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭obi604

Recorded it just to see what it would be like. Watched about 15 minutes and had to turn off. Absolute scutter.

They just try to be funny and culchie all the time, trying too hard. Just not natural

This lad to me is natural :)

https://www.facebook.com/803904546291477/posts/2918917064790204/?vh=e&extid=I0vxkXIozS1mSXeB&d=n

• Registered Users Posts: 17,676 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Would agree that the podcast is very good. TV show was grand, nothing spectacular but I'll watch the last 3 episodes. I'd imagine it's heavily edited and produced and the lads are limited in what they can do and see.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Two Johnnies are typical Munster humour. As a rule comedy is rather basic in that part of Ireland.
    I do believe it is caused by not having access to BBC until relatively recently. Brendan Grace etc still rule in Tipp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,676 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Thought last nights episode was very good.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 85,210 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I did lol at the blogger influencer talking body positivity yet by the looks of it how much work had she done

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Hectors amigos was very good.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Louis Therouw not googling his name lol, did a good few American style show. He was pretty good.

There's always a new generation who laugh to paddywhackery, so its an easy one for RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Two Johnnies are typical Munster humour. As a rule comedy is rather basic in that part of Ireland.
    I do believe it is caused by not having access to BBC until relatively recently. Brendan Grace etc still rule in Tipp

That would be Brendan Grace the quintessential Dub?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,210 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Do America know what a snack box is :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

It was on a few nights ago as it was repeating episode 3 that night. I heard the commentary from it alright. I switched it off straight away. It was terrible as it was not my thing at all.

Daithí ar Route 66 was made by TG4 a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Classic fish out of water low-effort content.

"Jaysus look at the size of dem buildings. How did they put them up at all at all?"

Basically, "Jaysus look at the size of *insert thing here*" over and over until they reach LA and try to meet a b list celebrity like McGyver or something (middle Ireland loves McGyver).

"Jaysus, I remember you from the telly. You were on before Where in the World. Have you seen Where in the World McGyver??"

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

"Down with that sort of thing". Only a genius can come up with something like that OMG, so original and funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Hectors amigos was very good.
    Totally agree

They have been great series over the years.

He did a coast to coast US one a few years ago, but went from Georgia to California all through the south.

None of the usual visiting Irish bars or cultural centers in New York or Boston etc

Just meeting normal people, a local weather man, a former Klan member, the Alabama Blind Boys,(who happened to be big fans of Foster and Allen), a woman who owned the best crawfish stand in Mississippi, immigrants trying to cross the border, Americans on the other side trying to patrol the border keeping drug cartels out.

A whole range of people.

It's amazing the amount of research that goes into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Radio5

Murphy's America was great for its time. Fewer Irish people had been to America, apart from the rich few that could visit the relations. There was no internet so everything was new. Same with the Australia one.

Dermot Bannon did some programme about 'amazing' boxy glass houses abroad, I don't know if they were in US or not.

Hector's early stuff was good, before he began to believe his own publicity. A bit like Marty Morrissey.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

There used to be a very good travel show on TG4 (Probably TnaG at the time), nerdy looking Gaelgóir who went off the beaten path in a lot of places. I remember him going to the Three Gorges Dam in China before it was finished. Must have been the early 2000s.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Dara O'Briain and Ed Byrne are doing one now on Blaze.

Yurt! wrote: »
    There used to be a very good travel show on TG4 (Probably TnaG at the time), nerdy looking Gaelgóir who went off the beaten path in a lot of places. I remember him going to the Three Gorges Dam in China before it was finished. Must have been the early 2000s.

Manchan Magan? Hes still doing docs on TG4 and occasionally RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Rich Hall had the best program about America.

• Advertisement

Does anyone remember a travel show on RTE circa 1995 that had a guy and a girl (late 20s early 30s, not sure if they were a couple)? They were travelling through Mongolia and I think wider central Asia. The main reason I remember it was that it featured the male presenter receiving news that his sister had died back in Ireland but deciding to continue filming the programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭brian_t

Hector has a new one starting on Thursday.

Africa A go Z.

Across The Line was a travel show shown on Network 2 in 1999. It followed two girls aged about 19 or 20 travelling across South America, one Irish and one from Wales. I dont think they were celebrities per say but maybe chosen by some sort of audition process. The Irish girl was a right stuck up full of herself snob. I only caught the last couple of episodes, anyone remember it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

stoneill wrote: »
    Rich Hall had the best program about America.
    Clive James is also very good.

Vincent Hanley had one too but mostly New York :D

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Across The Line was a travel show shown on Network 2 in 1999. It followed two girls aged about 19 or 20 travelling across South America, one Irish and one from Wales. I dont think they were celebrities per say but maybe chosen by some sort of audition process. The Irish girl was a right stuck up full of herself snob. I only caught the last couple of episodes, anyone remember it?

I remember that show. I was only about 15 at the time and was mad to go travelling after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭satguy

Can RTE not come up with anything else.

They get buckets of money every year, yet they keep making the same old rubbish.

We can only hope that Mary Lou will be their Kryptonite ..

Advertisement