Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TB risk category

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,191 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Water John wrote: »
    First job for the new Minister, throw this in the bin.

You can't unsee what you've already seen unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

When is this letter due out? Or is it available online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Plenty of choice internationally for tb resistance genetics, the less said about the health traits of Irish bulls the better wasnt even a consideration up until recently

I'll have to give those a strong pass, I'm afraid.

What I'll potentially gain in TB resistance, I'll probably lose in calving interval or huge increases in supplementation. I see no point in having a 14 month calving interval for those cows or having the rest of the herd mud fat at bulling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

The whole tb situation is a farce, I've had a few rants about it on here over the years but it's worse the situation is getting. On 4 month tests here now because there is almost always some neighbour gone done with 1 or 2 (hardly what you'd call a breakdown) and it's impossible to plan anything with it. If the skin test was any way reliable it would have been eradicated decades ago and this is still what the results are being based on. I'd 1 reactor 4 years ago, I moved some cattle into a different herd number this year that were in my herd at the time and they are apparently high risk despite being tested about 10 times since. It's a joke.

When is this letter due out? Or is it available online?

It was in the post early last week so it'll probably make its way to you shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

whelan2 wrote: »
    What way does it work in the uk? I see ads with stock from a tb4 herd etc.

Not many areas are tb4 in the UK it pretty much means that there are no cases in the area . Scotland is tb free and would be tb4 which means cattle are only tested every 4 years . Scotland has no Tb in wildlife and any breakdowns in recent years can be directly linked from importing animals from outside the country

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭amacca

trixi2011 wrote: »
    Not many areas are tb4 in the UK it pretty much means that there are no cases in the area . Scotland is tb free and would be tb4 which means cattle are only tested every 4 years . Scotland has no Tb in wildlife and any breakdowns in recent years can be directly linked from importing animals from outside the country

sort of begs the question wtf are they at here?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,161 ✭✭✭✭Water John

To generate this required a significant budget allocation within the Dept. This isn't a brainfart that sneaked past senior CS.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

The IFA have started a campaign against the TB letters: https://twitter.com/ifamedia/status/1301982691873652737?s=21

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Can we merge the 2 threads that are ongoing on this please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

amacca wrote: »
    sort of begs the question wtf are they at here?
    Ireland isn't as bad as you think some areas in England are absolutely riddled with tb . Some farms have to get out of cows because of it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

The whole tb situation is a farce, I've had a few rants about it on here over the years but it's worse the situation is getting. On 4 month tests here now because there is almost always some neighbour gone done with 1 or 2 (hardly what you'd call a breakdown) and it's impossible to plan anything with it. If the skin test was any way reliable it would have been eradicated decades ago and this is still what the results are being based on. I'd 1 reactor 4 years ago, I moved some cattle into a different herd number this year that were in my herd at the time and they are apparently high risk despite being tested about 10 times since. It's a joke.

Have to agree with you about TB in Ireland, is one thing only, about making money for vets and it’s cronies and very similar to the BVD testing program that we are still stuck in due to the clowns in the start allowing a positive animal stay on farm when it should have being slaughtered out straight away, how much is BVD testing costing farmers every year and how long more is it going to continue. TB after so many years is still continuing due no real interest by the department to solve the problem. We have just got clear test with one down after 8 years clear, from the day the homebred animal went from the farm to today we have had heard not one thing from the department, no visit or phone call about the possible source and no report on the reactor and no follow up like 8 years ago. How can they get the better of tb if they have no interest in getting to the source of the infection.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Can we merge the 2 threads that are ongoing on this please

Threads merged.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

department vet has piece in journal this week, some of it is shocking

tb test only picks up 80% of cases.....bloody expensive excercise and not accurate, do the 20% missed go for human consumption?? dept not monitoring meat factories all day to catch this 20%

only 30% of animals display legions from reactors...do the 70% have TB in first place, is too much emphasis placed this inconclusive method of testing

if our herd goes clear it does not mean were tb free??? its only probably....again absolutly pointless testing anything with out definative result, imagine a doctor telling you you probably dont have a diease!!

98.98% of reactors have legions.....we must be the unluckiest people ever to be included in the .02%

How long does it take for results from lesions to come back? 5 weeks done here now, waiting......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

How long does it take for results from lesions to come back? 5 weeks done here now, waiting......

Could be 10 to 12 weeks before they'll def say no....longer you don't here more likely there'll be no growth in the lab

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Isn’t the tb saga very similar to the COVID strategy we have to endure due to the absence of a vaccine. Except there is a clinically proven effective bovine tb vaccine! The test can’t differentiate a tv case from a healthy vaccinated animal.
    So why not swop tb tests for mandatory vaccinations..

Some new thinking required anyway because heaping good money on top of bad with the ineffective system will never eradicate it.

This is interesting.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/11/191128084604.htm

department vet has piece in journal this week, some of it is shocking

tb test only picks up 80% of cases.....bloody expensive excercise and not accurate, do the 20% missed go for human consumption?? dept not monitoring meat factories all day to catch this 20%

only 30% of animals display legions from reactors...do the 70% have TB in first place, is too much emphasis placed this inconclusive method of testing

if our herd goes clear it does not mean were tb free??? its only probably....again absolutly pointless testing anything with out definative result, imagine a doctor telling you you probably dont have a diease!!

98.98% of reactors have legions.....we must be the unluckiest people ever to be included in the .02%

The TB bacteria is an extremely slow growing one, only doubling in numbers every 24 hours. So you literally have to wait for ages before the numbers are high enough to show up as a reaction to the test. We tend to think of bacteria multiplying like E.Coli, doubling every 15 minutes or so but it's far from those kind of rates of growth.

That slow growth is also why it's so difficult to detect any lesions in the factory. The lesions can be found anywhere in the body and we generally detect its presence so early that it doesn't get a chance to show many lesions in many places like used be found before testing for TB started. The vet post mortem in the factory has maybe 250+ kgs of beef to examine to find a lesion which may be only a few mm in size and found anywhere on the carcass. It really is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

And a clear test doesn't mean you're TB free, just that your cattle aren't showing up a reaction by potential reactors that are still in your herd. That's why there's 2 repeat tests 60 day after the reactors have gone, to catch those whose disease progress is a little bit behind the reactors already gone.

And that's why the current testing protocols call for 4 monthly testing for 2 years after reactors showing up in areas of high incidence, like we have around here. A pain in the backside but necessary to get rid of it in the cattle herd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Letter out from the Dept looking for info on the location of badger sets on the farm. Jazus they must think lads have come down in the last shower. You'd be fair stupid to tell them of any sets on the farm as it is only going to be another red flag on the TB risk category

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭mf240

Was about 9 weeks here before I heard back. Clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭mf240

Letter out from the Dept looking for info on the location of badger sets on the farm. Jazus they must think lads have come down in the last shower. You'd be fair stupid to tell them of any sets on the farm as it is only going to be another red flag on the TB risk category

The department caught a tomcat in a snare by mistake instead of a badger locally :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,505 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Any marts showing this status on the board yet ??

With such pushback from farming community will they not bother ?

mf240 wrote: »
    Was about 9 weeks here before I heard back. Clear.

I rang them today, have calves to sell....over 5 weeks done. She said ring back next week. No news is good news

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

I rang them today, have calves to sell....over 5 weeks done. She said ring back next week. No news is good news

We had a singleton in the spring and never heard nothing from the day the animal left the farm till going clear and asked our vet to check on the computer and he could tell us not the department. Such a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

_Brian wrote: »
    Any marts showing this status on the board yet ??

With such pushback from farming community will they not bother ?

IMO if the marts started showing that information it could backfire on them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    IMO if the marts started showing that information it could backfire on them.

It would certainly discourage people bringing cattle there anyway, unless they had the fabled C10 mark

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Got a letter yesterday about the current tb situation in louth. Theres a map attached which shows the areas affected by tb reactors upto the 10th of July. What's the point of sending this out when it's 3 months out of date?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I never got a letter indicating my status. Can i see it online anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭amacca

Anyone ask for proof of this new TB status before buying in stock?

has the potential to very much devalue stock imo.......

Advertisement